Caught my first Wolf Spider, and she has an egg sac!

Gala BK

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I just caught my first ever Hogna carolinensis. I'm VERY excited about it, especially because she is carrying an egg sac. Can anyone give me advice on how I should go about raising the spiderlings, and when I can expect them to hatch? She is currently carrying it on her back. Thanks for your help

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could you post pictures? To the best of my knowledge, female H. carolinensis live in burrows.

Gala BK

Arachnopeon
Could you post pictures? To the best of my knowledge, female H. carolinensis live in burrows.
148.jpg
149.jpg

I just put in a water bottle cap for a water dish. Any advice would be great because I really want to see the spider and the egg sac do well

wil123

Arachnopeon
sorry to burst yer bubble but that's not a Hogna carolinensis and it looks like its in to big of a cage.

Gala BK

Arachnopeon
Isn't its eye arrangement and colaration that of a Wolf spiders? I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm new to this.
I've looked through Pennsylvania's native spiders and I can't find anything else that looks like this

---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 07:13 PM ----------

Okay I'm starting to think it's a Hogna aspersa. The guide I was reading from didn't include them. I feel dumb, sorry guys. You think it's a H. aspersa then?

---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

Okay yeah it's definitely an aspersa. Sorry guys I feel stupid lol. I moved it to a much smaller container, thanks for the advice.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I fed spiderlings termites, springtails or dead crickets to scavenge. The spiderlings will tolerate each other for a time but then you can either release them or separate them.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Actually, wolf spiders do seem to appreciate a larger enclosure. An easy way to feed these is by dropping a prekilled cricket along the wall of the tank. As they make their never-ending nocturnal walks alongside the walls, they bump into a fresh dead cricket and 99% of the time, eat it.

Most spiders in general will not turn down such an easy meal.

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isn't its eye arrangement and colaration that of a Wolf spiders? I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I'm new to this.
I've looked through Pennsylvania's native spiders and I can't find anything else that looks like this
---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 07:13 PM ----------
Okay I'm starting to think it's a Hogna aspersa. The guide I was reading from didn't include them. I feel dumb, sorry guys. You think it's a H. aspersa then?
---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 07:33 PM ----------
Okay yeah it's definitely an aspersa. Sorry guys I feel stupid lol. I moved it to a much smaller container, thanks for the advice.
H. aspersa has been revised and is no longer in the genus Hogna. Now it's Tigrosa aspersa, and also not what you've caught. They are typically darker, and the band on the "head" is narrower and doesn't extend that far back.

For the record, there are over 2,000 described species of wolf spiders in the world, and some species can be very hard to distinguish from one another.

Awesome pets, though!

jecraque

Arachnobaron
This looks like a Trochosa/Varacosa sp., maybe? I'm not the best at medium-sized lycosids, but this is no Hogna or Tigrosa.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Yeah, hard to say from wolfies but it does look a lot like my late Trochosa. Really similar markings.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
will the eggsac be okay on its own? Will the female still carry the young? What can I do to improve the situation for her?
Hopefully someone who has more experience will ante in on this. Around here the mom, another wolfie or the ants usually eat unattended sacs.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Give her more substrate. They like to dig into a burrow with their sacs.
On the case of the dropped sac, just wait. She'll know what to do, be it re-attaching it, eating it or just letting it be till it pops. The sling shouldn't need the mom for anything more than protection till they spread out. They do feed with the mom so you'll propably need to feed them crushed insects.

Gala BK

Arachnopeon
Give her more substrate. They like to dig into a burrow with their sacs.
On the case of the dropped sac, just wait. She'll know what to do, be it re-attaching it, eating it or just letting it be till it pops. The sling shouldn't need the mom for anything more than protection till they spread out. They do feed with the mom so you'll propably need to feed them crushed insects.
Thank you, I'll do that!