A. moderatum experience?

arach619

Arachnopeon
I've been looking for an A. moderatum for about a year now and by chance I was informed of a local exotics shop that had one listed in stock. I was able to purchase it, but hardly to my surprise the staff had no idea on the gender. If my knowledge serves me right I believe this species is sexually dimorphic, but not until the male matures. Does anyone know or have any experience with the species, breeding or otherwise? This particular individual is about as docile as Aphonopelma come and I'd love to see them more often in the hobby.

Lux.moderatum.jpg

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Well all spiders are sexually dimorphic. lol

epiandrous fusillae- Male tarantulas have a small patch of spinnerets on their epigastric furrow which are used in the construction of sperm-webs.

If your moderatum is calm, and lets you hold it, you should be able to easily pinch-grab it. (Note, this is easier done on a smooth surface, as it may dig its claws into you when grabbed)

arach619

Arachnopeon
I'm aware there are differences between male and female T's, but the differences can be subtle at best and hardly comparable to a complete color overhall that a MM A. Moderatum gets. I'm not the best at ventral sexing so I may just wait for a molt. Either way I'm just happy I found one for the time being. :biggrin:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Flip it over while holding it and get a ventral picture. it can easily be determined with this species if it is male or female. All Aphonopelma ssp are very similar in that aspect. if you cannot get a picture ventrally, try searching for it on Google. Type in Aphonopelma species ventral sexing. Good luck! gorgeous specimen you have.

arach619

Arachnopeon
Yeah I've never been that great at ventral sexing myself, but here's the T.

amoderatum.jpg