New to centipedes

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's been a while since I've posted anything.

Time has gone by, and I mostly keep arboreal NW tarantulas now. There are a couple of scorpions I'm thinking of selling to change about my collection a little.

I've wanted a centipede for years, but have never managed to take the step.

I'm a little concerned about all the 'escape' horror stories I've heard. I've read the threads and hear some people keep them in aquariums and some in plastic tubs. I need to make sure there are NO escapes (way too many animals for me to want to even chance it).

I know Scolopendra seems to be the most common species I hear being kept. Are there other species that would be appropriate to keep as well within a reasonable budget (~$50 or less for the animal)? I'm looking for something suitable to a 5-10 gallon equivalent enclosure and preferably mid 70s temp (my room is usually 75-80 fluctuating from night to day).

Also, based on personal experience, what have you found to be the best way to keep these guys in? I've been doing research but I'd like advice from people who own these guys as well.

Any response/help is appreciated.

Monthud

Arachnopeon
I would highly recommend a subspinipes variety . They are very hardy. I recommend using a plastic shoe box with lock lids. They eat like pigs and are fairly cheap usually around 30-50 $ for a nice sized pede. You want to keep the humidity in the 70s or 80s but using a plastic box with pre damped substrate should be no problem. I know its fun feeding
them but try to only feed them once or twice a week, this increases they're age and they don't go on fasts usually if you do this. Use a bottle cap for a water dish. I don't find air holes to be useful as you open the enclosure to feed them which lets air in. The chances of you get getting bitten is rare. Just don't go poking it with your fingers. you can
also go with Usa native pedes depending on the species most like it semi arid like Scolopendra Polymorpha. Here is a photo of my Scolopendra Subspinipes "Dehani?". http://s100.photobucket.com/user/Monthud/media/Inverts/DSC02076_zps652ff828.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 "she" is about 8.5 inches without terminal legs.

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
I agree. Subspinipes is my favorite. I bought mine full grown (8.5 inches) for $35. He's awesome! Unlike lots of centipedes, this species doesn't seem to always want to be burrowed. I catch mine during his "midday stroll" (I call it) almost every day at right around 1, 2:00 PM. As for enclosure, I keep him in a tall exo terra tank. I wanted something that would be more aesthetically pleasing in addition to escape proof. He is much easier to view and cage maintenance is a breeze. It even has a hole to place a lock if you are worried about kids or ding dongs getting in there.

Unlike t's, pedes can't climb glass so just make sure the height is a bit longer than the centipede (take into account the 4-6" of substrate though!).

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would highly recommend a subspinipes variety . They are very hardy. I recommend using a plastic shoe box with lock lids. They eat like pigs and are fairly cheap usually around 30-50 $ for a nice sized pede. You want to keep the humidity in the 70s or 80s but using a plastic box with pre damped substrate should be no problem. I know its fun feeding
them but try to only feed them once or twice a week, this increases they're age and they don't go on fasts usually if you do this. Use a bottle cap for a water dish. I don't find air holes to be useful as you open the enclosure to feed them which lets air in. The chances of you get getting bitten is rare. Just don't go poking it with your fingers. you can
also go with Usa native pedes depending on the species most like it semi arid like Scolopendra Polymorpha. Here is a photo of my Scolopendra Subspinipes "Dehani?". http://s100.photobucket.com/user/Monthud/media/Inverts/DSC02076_zps652ff828.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 "she" is about 8.5 inches without terminal legs.
I've got some Sterilite containers for storage that seem like they would be great for a centipede.
7.5 gallon
18"L x 12 5/8"W x 13 1/4"H

Also Interesting to learn that exo terras with opening fronts can still be considered ok to use, not that I have any immediate plans to use one.

Thanks!