Advice I Was Given At My LPS

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I saw an M. balfouri there but it was already sold, they were just holding it for the individual who bought it. I like to constantly ask them about care of what they have because I can tell who is working there and if I may buy from them. So I decided to ask about it and the response was "Keep it like a damp rose hair with more dirt and be careful because it could bite." How Does everyone feel about that response? I thought it was alright but not the best advice for someone to get.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Precisely. I think he meant like a rose hair care wise and just added the damp in there because he thought it needed higher humidity. The main thing that caught me off guard is that these people are prolific for over exaggerating bites and they didn't really mention it. Oh well it was already sold and hopefully to someone who can care for it well.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
If you read the whole thing with a bit of a smirk, the advice is spot on. "Keep it like a damp rose hair" means "bone dry" to me. The rose hair is damp, not the substrate. :)

But don't forget the most important tidbit: Monocentropus balfouri are capable of biting, which sounds as though it differs from Grammostola rosea, who prefers to engage in a staring contest.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
If you read the whole thing with a bit of a smirk, the advice is spot on. "Keep it like a damp rose hair" means "bone dry" to me. The rose hair is damp, not the substrate. :)

But don't forget the most important tidbit: Monocentropus balfouri are capable of biting, which sounds as though it differs from Grammostola rosea, who prefers to engage in a staring contest.
Hahahaha The rose hair is damp. Well the caging was arboreal, had damp sub, and there was maybe an inch of substrate. The strange thing is that it acted like an arboreal 0_0

And my rose hair loves staring contests and my P. petersi loves scaring contests. Two crazy different worlds.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
Well, the advice isn't particularly good, but it's much less bad then you get from most LPS.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hahahaha The rose hair is damp. Well the caging was arboreal, had damp sub, and there was maybe an inch of substrate. The strange thing is that it acted like an arboreal 0_0
Of course its going to climb, if it has been given room to do so and dislikes the damp substrate.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I went back and the substrate was dry and deeper (four inches deep) and it still acted arboreal. Do you think it's still thinking it is damp or...?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
It's really elaborate almost like a versicolor's web and tube. It's really defensive though. He spooked me when he rushed out of the web.

cold blood

Staff member
It's really elaborate almost like a versicolor's web and tube. It's really defensive though. He spooked me when he rushed out of the web.
Are you sure its actually a rosehair and not another species that they mislabeled? I can't even picture a rosie making a thick tube web, off the ground.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I went back and the substrate was dry and deeper (four inches deep) and it still acted arboreal. Do you think it's still thinking it is damp or...?
If it "suddenly had dry and deeper substrate" for some reason, I think someone is messing with its enclosure too much and disturbing it. It can't get settled in. This whole scenario isn't making much sense anymore. You went back to the store, and its still there, despite the fact that it was sold and being held for someone...but it now has a new enclosure set up. How long are they supposedly holding it for?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
If it "suddenly had dry and deeper substrate" for some reason, I think someone is messing with its enclosure too much and disturbing it. It can't get settled in. This whole scenario isn't making much sense anymore. You went back to the store, and its still there, despite the fact that it was sold and being held for someone...but it now has a new enclosure set up. How long are they supposedly holding it for?
They can hold it for different time lengths depending on the money put down. 1/2 down holds it for a week and I believe all of it put down gives them two weeks. But yeah it's a very confusing situation, it always happens there because they get something while the person that knows spiders isn't there and the cages look bad and not cared for properly then he comes in and they're fine