impossible to decide

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guy's
After researching possible new t's for the best part of a week I've narrowed thing's down to 5 or 6 or 7 you get the idea anyways I've come up with 5 for now, I can't buy 1 as that will give me 13 in total now don't get me wrong as I wasn't superstitious but the moment I bought my 13th t a few weeks back bang I lost 1 damn it. Well here's the 5 in no order. All I will say is 1 is looking like a definite the other's are just possibles.

Acanthoscurria antillensis
Pamphobeteus sp mascara (definite)
Pamphobeteus vespertinus
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyclosternum fasciatum

I would love your input or idea's outside this list of 5 thanks

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus for me, must have for any collection IMO, they are beautiful and they are tiny. Defiantly the cutest T in the hobby.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey guy's
After researching possible new t's for the best part of a week I've narrowed thing's down to 5 or 6 or 7 you get the idea anyways I've come up with 5 for now, I can't buy 1 as that will give me 13 in total now don't get me wrong as I wasn't superstitious but the moment I bought my 13th t a few weeks back bang I lost 1 damn it. Well here's the 5 in no order. All I will say is 1 is looking like a definite the other's are just possibles.

Acanthoscurria antillensis
Pamphobeteus sp mascara (definite)
Pamphobeteus vespertinus
Cyriocosmus elegans
Cyclosternum fasciatum

I would love your input or idea's outside this list of 5 thanks
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo...teehee. I have a dislike of 13 and it confronts me often. A few months ago I made an order because I had landed on 13 t's, AFTER I lost a sling to a bad molt (1st time I got to see a dead one:(). I Then placed the small order to bring that number up to 14, and got freebies of another species. Fine, I was at 17 after a 4 t order...mission accomplished...for 5 minutes, then I realized the freebies put me at 13 species...ahhhh! Now I don't have the extra cash to get another, despite great deals seemingly everywhere.

I like your definite...big fan of the Pamphos I am. I have always liked the C. fasciatum, but seem to pass on it all the time. Acanthoscurria's are awesome, another I keep passing on and don't know why. You have no wrong choices.

Outside the box...maybe Maraca cabocla, as it would seem to fit your collection. I'd have a hard time passing on one myself.

Last edited:

Mysteryavic

Arachnosquire
I just put in a large order and after looking at it i will be ordering 13 Ts all avics of 7 diff sp. Now how ironic is it that i now see this thread. Now bare in mind that i was born on 7/13/89 one year from Friday the 13th lol. As long as they all arive all will be well. I will have something in the 60 t range. Hopefully its all just in our heads. I will let u kno if any bad luck comes from it they get shipped out Monday.

Matt

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
You might also look into Xenesthis and Phormictopus if you are into Pampho's. Great choices, btw.

You just need to ask yourself, which of these do I want now? Vs- which of these will I get next month? LOL

awiec

Arachnoprince
Pamphs are the way to go, the bottom two are ones you can get pretty often. So I'd say if your wallet can handle it, get the top 3, they should make you happy with their big attitude but not enough to make life miserable.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Pamphobeteus sp Mascara looks awesome but where are you getting them and how much? They seem rare and expensive….and huge and stunning! Go for it and I will be jealous!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I already contributed but completely forgot this. I was thinking and I have 13 tarantulas right now lol. I think that is a little odd with the topic at hand haha.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Ever heard of "The Lucky 13"? It just might be one of the best top water bass lures ever! I also like the number 7...kind of a Mickey Mantle fan as well as George Costanza! However, superstitions are what you make of them. Am I superstitious? You bet! I was a pitcher into my early 20s. College and some semi-pro. Arguably there is no one more superstitious than a baseball pitcher. I'm currently sitting on 4 Ts and might be losing my pride and joy, a recently molted 6+" B. Smithi. It seems as though my nephew, from whom I Arachnapped her, wants her back! I'm fighting to keep her, but in my heart I know it is his spider!!! Numbers are just that, numbers. My favorite # now is 3. Used to be 7,13,25. But now 3. Embrace and enjoy what you have regardless of the number !!! BTW: I've sired 3 of my own.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pamphobeteus sp Mascara looks awesome but where are you getting them and how much? They seem rare and expensive….and huge and stunning! Go for it and I will be getting jealous!
I'm getting it from the usual dealer/breeder I use in the UK. The cost is around the $90 mark or £55 UK pounds

---------- Post added 07-23-2014 at 10:45 AM ----------

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo...teehee. I have a dislike of 13 and it confronts me often. A few months ago I made an order because I had landed on 13 t's, AFTER I lost a sling to a bad molt (1st time I got to see a dead one:(). I Then placed the small order to bring that number up to 14, and got freebies of another species. Fine, I was at 17 after a 4 t order...mission accomplished...for 5 minutes, then I realized the freebies put me at 13 species...ahhhh! Now I don't have the extra cash to get another, despite great deals seemingly everywhere.

I like your definite...big fan of the Pamphos I am. I have always liked the C. fasciatum, but seem to pass on it all the time. Acanthoscurria's are awesome, another I keep passing on and don't know why. You have no wrong choices.
Outside the box...maybe Maraca cabocla, as it would seem to fit your collection. I'd have a hard time passing on one myself.
The whole 13 thing as never bothered me before but the more I think about it the less sure I am now, the t that died wasn't number 13 but it did take 13 months to find it in the 1st place. At the time I also had 13 species as I never double up on any. If I was you I'd sell something anything and buy the cheapest sling I could just to even things out

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Personally i dont really care much for Acanthoscurria, or Pamphobeteus. I would go with Cyriocosmus for sure though. Cyclosternum fasciatum are pretty neat tarantulas.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Personally i dont really care much for Acanthoscurria, or Pamphobeteus. I would go with Cyriocosmus for sure though. Cyclosternum fasciatum are pretty neat tarantulas.
You crazy bro….A. Geniculata is in a league of it's own a feeding time…so fast and explosive with no hesitation!!! How could you not care for that? Johnny Quango, $90 sounds good to me, I saw one in the U.S. for $200!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well i have an adult female genic. But one female of that species is enough, and the other species are pretty darn boring. I absolutely cannot stand Theraphosa, and i see Acanthoscurria, Pamphobeteus, and Phormictopus as almost the same genus. They all pretty much seem Theraphosa looking to me. And feeding takes me about 10 hours, so i dont get to enjoy it :).
You crazy bro….A. Geniculata is in a league of it's own a feeding time…so fast and explosive with no hesitation!!! How could you not care for that? Johnny Quango, $90 sounds good to me, I saw one in the U.S. for $200!

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Well i have an adult female genic. But one female of that species is enough, and the other species are pretty darn boring. I absolutely cannot stand Theraphosa, and i see Acanthoscurria, Pamphobeteus, and Phormictopus as almost the same genus. They all pretty much seem Theraphosa looking to me. And feeding takes me about 10 hours, so i dont get to enjoy it :).
Ah, ten hours to feed? That sounds like too much for me, as I like my collection to be manageable enough to enjoy the individual spiders….god bless your dedication, as that must be a large collection! I do not really like Theraphosa myself, but not for their looks, more for their swampy habitat….no need to invite mites into my collection. The other three genera you mentioned I think are great and will probably have all three someday. Right now, Genics are a pleasure to work with and never cease to amaze at feeding time. I like to save an aggressive feeder for last to make up for the timid slings that take pre-killed. Any particular spiders you prefer if not these large NWs? Oh dang, I saw you said you like the Cyriocosmus and Cyclosternum Fasciatum! I have a little Fasciatum and after seeing the species for the first time, I can't see why they are not more popular…all I hear is GBB this and GBB that…what about those lil Tiger Rumps?!?!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep about 10 hours man. Thats why i usually break it up over a few days. My species list is in my profile. There might be a few missing though. Im mostly into baboons, poecs, and other ow. But i do like some new worlders like Hapalopus, Cyricosmus, Tapinauchenius, and a few others. Some genra i only want 1 or two species of, and others i want every species of. Just depends. Yeah GBB arent that amazing. Near impossible to breed, but they are hardy. If i were to choose a tarantula to take the belt away from GBB, it would be Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large. They are flashier color wise, easy to care for, voracious eaters, and breed easily most the time.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well the flashy color thing is more opinion. I think GBB look WAY better than the Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large but it is still an opinion, I still want one soon though haha. GBB's are IMO easier to care for too. They are also voracious eaters. The only thing Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large has on GBB is their readiness to breed lol. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well the flashy color thing is more opinion. I think GBB look WAY better than the Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large but it is still an opinion, I still want one soon though haha. GBB's are IMO easier to care for too. They are also voracious eaters. The only thing Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large has on GBB is their readiness to breed lol. :)
My H. Sp Columibia makes my GBB look like a kitten, that thing is ready to bolt whenever it has the chance; the GBB is just "meh" in his reaction to me.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Don't talk about Punkin Patches like that ever again….bad biollantefan54. I try to rationalize my favorites all the time but the reality is that punkin patches are awesome. So BACK OFF. :4: JK

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haha I think you have it backwards. Seriously though, I really do love Hapalopus sp looks. Their patterns are beautiful but GBB are blue and orange haha. :)

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
GBB's are cool and I am sure it is inevitable that I end up with one. I am weird though, as I find myself drawn to the T's with tiger type patterns and that contrasting black and orange! It is weird because I am not usually a fan of orange but when it comes to T's, I think it looks so incredible while I do not really care for the blue ones…GBB is growing on me though and that dang M. Balfouri is a spider I can't look at without thoughts of dropping a couple hundred on a group of spiderlings. I do not easily come to grips with spending $30-$70 on a spiderling especially when I can get P. Irminia and Cambridgei for $15 a piece or less…I think the first one I will grab that breaks the $30 mark will be P. Pulcher. Then maybe G. Pulchra and T. Gigas…and now I sincerely apologize for getting wildly off track.