Tarantulas Keep Pets Supposedly

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Hmmmm...

Interesting. Perhaps people should do more observations and if this is true, there could be an interesting world of arachno-phibian hobbyists.

cold blood

Staff member
Its called a symiotic relationship and its not that uncommon in nature, from the birds on the backs of ungulates on the African planes, the rhemora hanging out with a shark or this. This relationship is not an unknown one. I have a publication, "Tarantulas and other arachnids" from 2001, and here's an excerpt from their description of X. immanis:

"Columbian lesserback tarantulas are the focus of one interesting study done in Peru because they share their burrows with toads. The researchers proposed that the toad is protected from predation by the tarantula by toxins on their skin and may benefit the spider by eating pestiferous insects too small for the tarantula to catch. They also saw that adult female Columbian lesserback tarantulas also share their burrows with older offspring."

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Its called a symiotic relationship and its not that uncommon in nature, from the birds on the backs of ungulates on the African planes, the rhemora hanging out with a shark or this. This relationship is not an unknown one. I have a publication, "Tarantulas and other arachnids" from 2001, and here's an excerpt from their description of X. immanis:

"Columbian lesserback tarantulas are the focus of one interesting study done in Peru because they share their burrows with toads. The researchers proposed that the toad is protected from predation by the tarantula by toxins on their skin and may benefit the spider by eating pestiferous insects too small for the tarantula to catch. They also saw that adult female Columbian lesserback tarantulas also share their burrows with older offspring."
I get the symbiotic relationship thing. I had a nice relationship with spiders in my room (before Ts) because I had a chameleon and his crickets escaped more than they should have, so I let Tom, Janette, Claudia and Alice eat occasionally. Then Tom decided to be a player and left his web to mate. He did so with the first two but Alice murdered him. I killed their babies once they produced sacs because I didn't want baby spiders all over my room
But back to the topic at hand: Could there be more of a hybrid hobby involving such animals in the future? The answer: Yes. People already do it. Could this be a more common thing? We will find out.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
Interesting. Perhaps people should do more observations and if this is true, there could be an interesting world of arachno-phibian hobbyists.
Arachno-phibian! Love that. It would be interesting to research the potential critters different Ts keep around, the difficulty would lie in making sure both T and Toad's needs were the same I suppose. I wonder if x immanis is the exception to the rule, or if there are other Ts that have non-food friends.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Arachno-phibian! Love that. It would be interesting to research the potential critters different Ts keep around, the difficulty would lie in making sure both T and Toad's needs were the same I suppose. I wonder if x immanis is the exception to the rule, or if there are other Ts that have non-food friends.[/QUOTE]

I think there is a chance that it could work with all Ts as long as they are fed properly. I also think there could be undiscovered Ts that have been "bunking" with frogs. Imagine some new species that have adapted the same coloration patterns as dart frogs. That would be amazing! And imagine a gorgeous immanis in a 50 gallon filled with live moss and real plants that included a bunch of pretty little frogs.

If there is to be a new-ish group of arachno-phibian people, sign me up, but as always, not before hours and hours of research; really just days of research and roommates getting mad at me for being up at like 4 in the morning every night looking at 'stupid spiders' as they like to say.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And imagine a gorgeous immanis in a 50 gallon filled with live moss and real plants that included a bunch of pretty little frogs.
The substrate would have to be incredibly deep in a tank of that size/height, to minimize falling risk to the spider...

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron

My personal favorite is Pistol Shrimp and Gobies. Supppppper fascinating.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think there is a chance that it could work with all Ts as long as they are fed properly. I also think there could be undiscovered Ts that have been "bunking" with frogs. Imagine some new species that have adapted the same coloration patterns as dart frogs. That would be amazing! And imagine a gorgeous immanis in a 50 gallon filled with live moss and real plants that included a bunch of pretty little frogs
LPs are definitely off that list!
Ah, but there are other arachnids that co-habitate with frogs. Case in point, Brachypelma kahlenbergi:
http://mantid.nl/tarantula/kahlenbergi.html

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
I liked the first paragraph, it really made me believe that the article was written by an intelligent person.
Anyway, all the "pets and owners" are just symbiotic relationships, its nothing new, but keeping frogs and spiders together would be awesome.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys should check out Amphibiaboards. That's where tarantulas go to discuss frog husbandry.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
You guys should check out Amphibiaboards. That's where tarantulas go to discuss frog husbandry.
I was wondering why that's on my search history and I was logged in as Mystery_pamph_9999

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did you think I'd give it some carpet and a lounge chair?
No, but I did think you might actually give it some thought...:sarcasm:

Your plants for your little fictional frog paradise idea would have to be low growing, not having much height to grow in. Constant trimming would be required, depending on what types were chosen. The substrate being so deep would have to be a very well-draining soil mixture (above the drainage layer) for the viv to hold up long-term. If these "pretty little frogs" were anything like dart frogs, the "protective toxin" the frogs would have would likely be rendered inert by eating a captive diet. You would end up with one fat tarantula and some short plants in a giant tank full of dirt.:mask:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
No, but I did think you might actually give it some thought...:sarcasm:

Your plants for your little fictional frog paradise idea would have to be low growing, not having much height to grow in. Constant trimming would be required, depending on what types were chosen. The substrate being so deep would have to be a very well-draining soil mixture (above the drainage layer) for the viv to hold up long-term. If these "pretty little frogs" were anything like dart frogs, the "protective toxin" the frogs would have would likely be rendered inert by eating a captive diet. You would end up with one fat tarantula and some short plants in a giant tank full of dirt.:mask:
Firstly, there was never any mention that the tarantula sensed the toxins and that's why it didn't eat the frog or toad. It's all the lack of a need to eat the frog and perhaps the established relationship between the two. And unless you have the money to perhaps waste on frogs, you don't get the expensive ones until you know it can be a well working relationship. Secondly, the plants are an easy thing to deal with. Lastly, I keep imagining an N. chromatus sitting on a chair with a remote in it's hand watching TV with some shag carpeting xD

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Not symbiosis.

However they are commensal.

I'm sure they're left alone because they're toxic.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I liked the first paragraph, it really made me believe that the article was written by an intelligent person.
Please enlighten me as to how this makes it any less valid. English isn't always everyone's first language.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Firstly, there was never any mention that the tarantula sensed the toxins and that's why it didn't eat the frog or toad. It's all the lack of a need to eat the frog and perhaps the established relationship between the two.
It was mentioned in the OP's article link, which was also linked to an Animal Planet video on the subject. It isn't for lack of "needing to eat". Nice to see you got a thorough start to that research you mentioned.

Secondly, the plants are an easy thing to deal with.
So you've built some natural vivariums? Are you currently maintaining any?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
1) I retract my first statement.. whoops.
2) Yes I have and yes I am. I was doing that before I even knew what a vivarium was.

Gpappy31

Arachnopeon
nice article but I always believed many species stay away from frogs cause of their toxic skin. Although not enough to kill it's still enough to irritate their prey. I doubt it's a "friendship" but that's just me.