more travel questions...

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I am leaving for two weeks comes this saturday (despite my commitments at home) and was just wondering if I would take the same precautions as I would for one week? feed before I leave (as much as they want) moist moss and a quick spray (with water caps for those of size).

FYI: this travel is not by chose, I realize pets are commitments that you can't just leave behind whenever you want, My summer has been booked for me I'm actually getting one a plane right now:cry:

SheWolf

Arachnopeon
If its possible try to have someone come and fill their water dishes once or twice (and if they arent too jumpy maybe toss a cricket in if any are tinier slings)while you're gone just so they dont get dehydrated, other than that it sounds like you did all you could do.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
last time I did that I came home to see two very very drowned H.incei :(

But thanks nonetheless

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I was concerned once because I had to go to Nebraska for a week and my Avic was in heavy premolt. All was well in the end. And yeah your water dish was too big for the T. I put some rocks in the dish just in case so that wouldn't happen.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
If I remember correctly it wasn't a problem with a water dish, his caretaker flooded the enclosures

cold blood

Staff member
It may not be a biggie for adults, but 2 weeks is a bit long for slings. Leaving them would probably still be better than leaving them with that same person. Maybe another member in your area will chime in with an offer to help. I seriously hope it works out better for you this time around.

Refresh us as to the size of your slings currently.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can leave slings for two or three weeks no problem, providing you do things right. I've done it a number of times with no issues, even ones as young as second instar.

The most important thing is to make sure they don't dry up. You can do this simply by placing all the slings (and adults whose enclosures can fit) that are in danger of drying out into nearly airtight containers to prevent too much evaporation. You can also block a lot of the ventilation to have the same effect for larger enclosures. For everyone else (or if you are paranoid about leaving them in sealed containers) you can give them a really good rain before you leave, and make sure the room they are in doesn't get too dry, or hot.

Food is of least concern; you don't need to worry about that.

Of course, nothing beats having someone you trust who has experience with inverts to just check on them every once in a while while you are gone.