My new rose haired T shoots a web when I'm handling her?

airserver

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I just got a new rose haired T and she spits webbing out while handling her? Why is she doing that is it a defense thing? I have another Rosie but she's never done that. Thanks:)

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's totally normal for your Chilean rose to lay down webbing as she walks. Most terrestrial Ts do it in unfamiliar territory i.e your hands. They don't "shoot" web either. Also, as this seems like your first thread or post in Q&D, be sure to check out The Tarantula Keeper's Guide from Amazon or your local library network. It will answer 90% of your questions, and for everything else, come back here and use the search feature: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php
Read this article about the proper way to care for your Grammostola rosea: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
Welcome to Arachnoboards!

Last edited:

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Umm..I think you need to edit your post. I'm sure it was an accident as the "o" is next to "i" on a qwerty keyboard. As to your question, any t you have can have a different behavior from another even of the same species. It could also be the t feels unstable being held and is using the webbing as an anchor. You will find many members on here highly discourage handling due to the risks of injuring or killing your pet. If you would still like to handle then do it right on the floor as a fall of just 6" could possibly rupture its' abdomen and kill it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
the webbing is a trail that allows them to find their way back to their burrow easily, and also serves to give males a means to easily locate females.

Once they lay down this 'trail', they can 'blindly' run for safety, and not dart head-first into a rock and die.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@Smokehound, I just imagined what you said about a T running into a rock. I am sorry, that was hilarious.

Thanks for editing your post haha.

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
lol, only if there's an absurd explosion when it happens.
Hahaha! Awww a little tiny burst of fire >.<

But yes - the web trail is spot on! It basically thinks of your hands as being strange new rocks it has never encountered before :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk