Question about Lampropelma nigerrimum

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
The common name given to this species is Sanghi Island Black tarantula. I Googled Sanghi Island and hardly came up with anything and definately no location. Where is Sanghi Island? Why is there practically no information on this place. I love to know as much about my Tarantulas as I can including their geographic range but I'm haveing difficulty with this one. Please help.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't lose sleep over common names. 'Singapore Blues' haven't been found in Singapore. Anyone can make up a common name.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Sangihe island is between indonesia and the phillipines. It's off the north coast of North Sulawesi. The islands are volcanic and appear to be a lush, tropical paradise. Now I want a vacation!

---------- Post added 07-23-2014 at 08:12 PM ----------

Don't lose sleep over common names. 'Singapore Blues' haven't been found in Singapore. Anyone can make up a common name.
According to the website "Asian Arboreals", the l. nigerrimum is only endimic to Sangihe Island and was thought extinct untill rediscovery in 2007.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
How many 'bird spiders' actually eat birds? Point out the 'bottle' to me on a GBB. Common names are a waste of time. You're better off puting the effort into learning one set of names, not two. Why not learn what genera are in the subfamilies instead common names (which vary depending on where you live)?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I think in the case of the ggb spiders the commo name refers to their coloring, which resembles a specific color of glass bottles. There is a fly, a dragonfly and a few beetles that sport the same color. That being said, common names are just for those of us that can't say the scientific name lol!

Last edited:

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
@Poec54: Very true. Common names are really just to sell spiders. I myself need to learn which genera belong to which subfamilies. I have many tarantula species down by the genus and species names and I'm still learning more. It does help tremendously to know how these little guys (and sometimes not so little) are classified so you can understand each individual better. For example: the OPs' question. Seeing there isn't much information on this specific species as far as captive care, one could assume it wouldn't be too different from the care of another species in this genus. That is just my assumtion, though. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. It would help to find information on a species closest geographically to the species in question, in my opinion. @dredrickt: if you're serious about no longer wanting your "not really from Singapore" Singapore Blue then shoot me a message ;)

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
How many 'bird spiders' actually eat birds? Point out the 'bottle' to me on a GBB. Common names are a waste of time. You're better off puting the effort into learning one set of names, not two. Why not learn what genera are in the subfamilies instead common names (which vary depending on where you live)?
Not to mention all the confusion with similar sounding names that inexperienced hobbyists confuse. Between a Mexican Fireleg, Redleg, Bloodleg, Red knee, blood knee, etc.

@NewAgePrimal, my LV is actually my favorite T. ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not to mention all the confusion with similar sounding names that inexperienced hobbyists confuse. Between a Mexican Fireleg, Redleg, Bloodleg, Red knee, blood knee, etc.
+1. Those totally lose me. There's so many Brachypelma with red/orange on their legs. Common names can't possibly differentiate them accurately. Poecs are my favorite genus, but the common names make little or no sense to me. Total waste of time.

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
So where are the Singapore Blue tarantulas native to?

---------- Post added 07-24-2014 at 07:42 AM ----------

Also I do have the genus and species names of all my Tarantulas memorized. I was just currious about the common name because I figured that it's common name refered to where it was native to and I guess I was right. But just wanted to know where that island was located.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So where are the Singapore Blue tarantulas native to?

---------- Post added 07-24-2014 at 07:42 AM ----------

Also I do have the genus and species names of all my Tarantulas memorized. I was just currious about the common name because I figured that it's common name refered to where it was native to and I guess I was right. But just wanted to know where that island was located.
I would look up where the species are native to, based on collecting data and original taxonomic descriptions, and not go by anything in the common name. Spider ranges don't follow strict political boundaries and many overlap countries. My favorite examples of imbecilic common names (being a plant collector too) are the 'Japanese Fern Tree' which is native to India and the 'Jerusalem Thorn Tree' which is native to Mexico. Please, toss common names in the trash bin. You just mix yourself up with them.

Do you know the subfamilies all of your spiders are in?

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
+1. Those totally lose me. There's so many Brachypelma with red/orange on their legs. Common names can't possibly differentiate them accurately. Poecs are my favorite genus, but the common names make little or no sense to me. Total waste of time.
Agreed, especially about Poecs. I'm still trying to figure out why the P. Metallica is named after a city the spider didn't even originate or live in. Not to mention Gooty is a stupid name for such a striking spider.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Agreed, especially about Poecs. I'm still trying to figure out why the P. Metallica is named after a city the spider didn't even originate or live in. Not to mention Gooty is a stupid name for such a striking spider.
+1. One of the most beautiful spiders in the world called 'Gooty.' A great injustice.

cold blood

Staff member
Just like one of the fastest sports cars is named the Gumpert. Lol.
Sweet ride, too

Honestly, I don't get the animosity toward gooty....doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't sound ugly. Salmon tarantula bothers me more, that makes no sense to me. Birdeater is also more annoying IMO.:)

cold blood

Staff member
I had read somewhere gooty was the first city they were found in. This is false info?
I believe it was found in a lumber yard, the closest town/city was Gooty, which it was a fair distance from...at least that's my understanding.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I believe it was found in a lumber yard, the closest town/city was Gooty, which it was a fair distance from...at least that's my understanding.
That's also my understanding, researchers believed it hitched a ride as the lumber yard was quite a ways away from its natural habitat.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The common name given to this species is Sanghi Island Black tarantula. I Googled Sanghi Island and hardly came up with anything and definately no location. Where is Sanghi Island? Why is there practically no information on this place. I love to know as much about my Tarantulas as I can including their geographic range but I'm haveing difficulty with this one. Please help.
There are various accepted ways to spell the name of the Island. Google Sangir.
The Island is small. 90% of the Island is a palmtree plantation. Still it was a nice place to visit.

---------- Post added 07-25-2014 at 11:32 AM ----------

Yes they have been found in, and have been described from Singapore (in the mangroves). The main imports for the hobby however have been from South Malaysia. I have found them myself in the south tip of Malaysia.