What is going on with these Australian walking stick insects??

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
Hi there!

Ok, so I bought these fellas when they were the size of large fire ants - tiny! (Forgive me, I do not know much about growth patterns of these guys). This was in April. They have now ballooned in size and they were identical until about 4 weeks ago.

This is the one that has not changed in shape or color:
14727153674_6c283a69d9_k.jpg

This is the one that is confusing the daylights out of us:
14543066907_2ade2b5968_k.jpg

What's going on here?? I was told that these are asexual and will reproduce on their own so this can't be a sex difference, can it?
Any help appreciated!

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These insects can reproduce sexually or, in the absence of a male, via parthenogenesis: where the egg develops without fertilization. The second photo is of a mature male. Consider yourself lucky!

EC

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
These insects can reproduce sexually or, in the absence of a male, via parthenogenesis: where the egg develops without fertilization. The second photo is of a mature male. Consider yourself lucky!

EC
Oh, awesome! Thank you!

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You have a male and female. The male is not as common, but needed in order for the female to produce both males and females. Without the male your female will only produce females.

Has she started producing eggs for you?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't mean to be a dan the downer, but it says you're in SoCal, which means these guys are VERY illegal.
isn't it a felony?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I don't mean to be a dan the downer, but it says you're in SoCal, which means these guys are VERY illegal.
isn't it a felony?
I dont think it's a felony, but it's probably a federal misdemeanor, which is MUCH worse than a state/county misdemeanor.

Only native stick insects are legal to possess.

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
Maybe I WISH I lived in Socal. Got them at a local pet show where they were selling tons!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The male has wings, does he fly? Don't these come in green too?
So here we gots critter exotica maxima decked out with it's best Thursday 'paint the town purple' party attire and in you cruise asking what other colors it comes in.
:o_O:

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The males do fly! You are lucky to have one! They can reproduce through parthenogenesis, but the hatch rate will be many times higher with a male in the crowd. Loved my time working with these, enjoy :).