Uticaring hairs plus moulting

hooferinsane

Arachnopeon
Hi, can a moult still causes irritation from
uticaring hairs that were on the T. Reason I ask is that I give my T moults to people at work with small children , ie about 6/7 years for show and tell at school. My P. Regalis female moulted the other day, and handling it made my hand slightly itchy. Just wouldn't want to cause a problem for a young child

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
OW's don't have urticating hairs. The hairs on NW sheds have been known to come loose and cause itching.

Hellion299

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yeah! I have Theraphosa stirmi molts that are worse than the actual females. Lol. I do not suggest getting tarantula molts near your mouth, and eyes.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Yeah I wouldn't give kids a molt from a NW with uricating hairs. Kids are not smart, it will end up somewhere with the potential to cause a hissy fit lol.

cold blood

Staff member
Its just a matter of time before some kid will just have to know what it smells like.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, can a moult still causes irritation from
uticaring hairs that were on the T. Reason I ask is that I give my T moults to people at work with small children , ie about 6/7 years for show and tell at school. My P. Regalis female moulted the other day, and handling it made my hand slightly itchy. Just wouldn't want to cause a problem for a young child
You are aware that old world species don't have uricating hairs right? Why do you think they're so fast-moving and are quicker to bite when threatened? They have to make up for it somehow. Also P.regalis (or any pokie or OW species) is not a species you should be handling.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
You are aware that old world species don't have uricating hairs right? Why do you think they're so fast-moving and are quicker to bite when threatened? They have to make up for it somehow. Also P.regalis (or any pokie or OW species) is not a species you should be handling.

OP was talking about handling a molt.

If you keep all your molts in one container there's a good chance it could have gotten U-hairs on it that came off a NW molt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Isnt it believed that some burrowers keep their molt in the hole till hardened (or till they are ready) just incase say a dog or something came by and took a big ol whiff...?

Xp but as said yes they still can....thats why i dont handle my molts tho i do have one ibkept (my first 3"+ molt)

hooferinsane

Arachnopeon

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for info, fairly new to Ts. Don't handle the P.Regalis, (did my research lol) touching the moult is what I meant

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for info, fairly new to Ts. Don't handle the P.Regalis, (did my research lol) touching the moult is what I meant
Yup, all Old World species lack uricating hairs, as do some New Worlds. Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius are two examples of New World genera that don't have uricating hairs. Yet still, the genus Ephebopus have uricating hairs that are located on the pedipalps, rather than the abdomen.