Grass Spider

Alokin

Arachnosquire
Sooo today i was at the pool of this hotel....dont mind the details the point is i saw these giant sheet webs on the boxwood which got me thinking...what spider lived there...i serched some of them and they were empty...i think...but on one i found a grass spider....i mean i think it is...it has the big spinnerets and the 2 black lines..on the abdomem....so...yeah...i think she is Female...cous she doesnt have swollen pedipalps.Im gona get some photos tomorow cous its already night here. But would like and ID.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Grass spiders, agelenopsis, got their nickname from proximity to grass and lawns but are by no means limited to those locations. Low boxwood hedges and similar shrubs are an ideal habitat as well. The spider much prefers a level area to build it's web. The web in turn, lacking sticky threads, is the spiders hunting territory where the web tilts the ensuing fights with victims in the spiders favor. While the agelenopsis is a capable runner it looses some of it's athletic ability and thus, capability, when surfaces aren't relatively flat.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Agelenopsis is a new-world genus, and does not occur outside of the americas. It's far more likely your spider is an Agelena sp. They are both very closely related and look and behave much the same.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Agelenopsis is a new-world genus, and does not occur outside of the americas. It's far more likely your spider is an Agelena sp. They are both very closely related and look and behave much the same.
If I'm not mistaken Agelenopsis means "looks like Agelena".

The Snark

Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken Agelenopsis means "looks like Agelena".
It is also used to differentiate genus. In this case, both. I suspect that down the road the agelenopsis will get shoved in as a sub genus of agelena or possibly they will get a complete reordering like what's going on now with the sparassids.

As genome sequencing gets more advanced and available, they are probably going to discover quite a lot of the taxonomic classifications of animals are wrong or in the incorrect order. Going by anatomical differentiation is a very haphazard way of doing things. Much like determining the origin factory of a car by non OEM accessories attached.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
It is also used to differentiate genus. In this case, both. I suspect that down the road the agelenopsis will get shoved in as a sub genus of agelena or possibly they will get a complete reordering like what's going on now with the sparassids.

As genome sequencing gets more advanced and available, they are probably going to discover quite a lot of the taxonomic classifications of animals are wrong or in the incorrect order. Going by anatomical differentiation is a very haphazard way of doing things. Much like determining the origin factory of a car by non OEM accessories attached.
Id say it's probably likely that Hololena, Rualena, Calilena, Barronopsis Agelena, and Agelenopsis may probably be placed in their own subfamily within Agelenidae, but that's just extreme speculation.. haha.

The Snark

Old Timer
Id say it's probably likely that Hololena, Rualena, Calilena, Barronopsis Agelena, and Agelenopsis may probably be placed in their own subfamily within Agelenidae, but that's just extreme speculation.. haha.
Who knows? One thing is certain; when they do really get things connected and charted, there are going to be a number of major surprises. I'm really looking forward to the progress as once there is enough fully described species and their genus properly placed, they will be able to look backwards with greater and greater accuracy at the origin species. Between gene mapping and ever more sophisticated computer simulations, we may eventually map in animated 3D from fossil to present day animals. See the effects of the meteorites and seismic events, polar shifts etc all neatly laid out in time lines. Darwin is salivating in his grave.

Check out this. And this is done with open source software! http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/ancient-spider-predator-resurrected

Last edited:

Alokin

Arachnosquire
Im sorry if i offended you bro....but ty ^^

Edit: That doesnt look like mine !? sorry..but i think your mistaken my friend :)

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Could you get a picture where the markings are really easy to see? The problem is there are a LOT of Agelena, the majority having not been fully described. We also have a language problem in that a number of research papers of European spiders haven't been translated into English.
Here is the main list of them: http://agelenidsoftheworld.myspecies.info/agelenidae/agelena-agelenoides
And here is another possibility. Note how they identify: http://www.araneae.unibe.ch/data/2235/Agelena_agelenoides
You could also peruse the pictures a google search turns up.