Best True Spiders as Pets (That live in NY)

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
I want a spider as a pet, but sadly until I go to college and move out (which is years away), I can't get a tarantula. I'm looking for some type of small true spider species endemic to New York, that I could catch and keep. I was thinking a jumping spider, but I can't find any.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Wolf spiders, fishing spiders, and grass spiders would also be good choices

Forcep

Arachnosquire
If you can keep true spider, there's no reason you can not keep dwarf tarantula species. Think about Cyriocosmus elegans and some other dwarfs, they're as great as the big ones.

True spiders are cool too, but I don't have much experiences with them, except for widows.

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
If you can keep true spider, there's no reason you can not keep dwarf tarantula species. Think about Cyriocosmus elegans and some other dwarfs, they're as great as the big ones.

True spiders are cool too, but I don't have much experiences with them, except for widows.
I was looking into C. elegans, but I can't get a spider even that size. Trust me I want one, but no "big" spiders will ever be in my house so long as I live with my parents. So if I can get a small species I can keep it, but otherwise there is no way. My mom is even scared of my millipedes.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't see how your going to get a spider outside other than a jumping spider that isn't smaller than a C. elegans.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
There must be some species of Steatoda in there. They're great pets.

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think a jumping spider would suit your needs quite well. They are small and completely fascinating to watch.