Not sure what this is..

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

Anyone think they know what this is? Sorry for the poor picture quality, but they're what my buddy sent me when he asked what it was. Usually I'm my friends' go to guy for insect id's haha, but this time I couldn't help, and I wasn't having any luck with the internet. Thanks!

Pat

image.jpg

image.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gosh, I found two of these before, I cant remember the name of them! I know what they are but cant put my finger on it!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Galapoheros, I was just about to post lol. I got all excited, I just spent like 7 minutes and finally found it and then you posted haha.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, yeah that was fast. The only thing wrong with the ambush bugs is that they aren't 4 or 5 inches long.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I would keep one if I could find one again. We cut down a huge tree in our backyard and never got around to moving the tree chunks and over a few years that part kind of 'grew up'. It was like a tiny section of woods right there. I found all kind of things back there in a 10x10 space. I found ambush bugs, TONS of green lynx's, praying mantis ootheca's and a whole lot more. One day my parents decided they didn't like a jungle back there and cleared it out. Now I cant find ambush bugs anymore haha. They remind me of the insect versions of crab spiders.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info guys! My first thought was something related to assassins, based off the body type and wings, but I couldn't place the raptorial forelegs or short antennae. Now I wish I had one!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I was recently bit by an ambush bug, opportunistic little punk >=\

the venom is actually fairly painful, too! (but that's not a surprise when it comes to predatory hemiptera haha)

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was recently bit by an ambush bug, opportunistic little punk >=\

the venom is actually fairly painful, too! (but that's not a surprise when it comes to predatory hemiptera haha)
That sucks! When I was a little kid I made the mistake of grabbing an adult Arilus cristatus to take a look at it and it got me right in the thumb. That was one painful experience. Certainly a couple times more unpleasant than a yellow jacket sting if I remember it correctly. Of course my memory could be slightly colored by having such a traumatic experience as a little kid hahaha