Time to say goodbye

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Since September 2013 I've had in my care a drop dead gorgeous B. smithi. I adopted (arachnapped) her from my nephew and she has molted twice for me; the most recent was about 9 days ago. She tips the scale at a solid six inches, maybe a little more. For the last few weeks he has been harassing me to give her back, and I finally gave in knowing it was the right thing to do. Knowing she must be replaced and nothing short of a confirmed female smithi would do, I went to a LRS today, which also carries a few Ts, and low and behold they had a confirmed female smithi about 4" in size. The price is as would be expected at $199.99, but I have some trade bait as the owner wants one of my Terrapene ornata babies. Well, she will be mine in a few days after I secure the right housing and return my nephew's to him. So. The moral of the story is...a broken heart can be mended! Goodbye Darla. I will miss you!!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
aaww.. so sorry you have to say goodbye but you get to meet a new friend. ;)

Oreo

Arachnocookie
At least your new friend may possibly have a longer lifespan! Or tell him his spider shrunk. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I like the shrunk idea. "She was always this big..its just been a while sence you seen her"

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
aaww.. so sorry you have to say goodbye but you get to meet a new friend. ;)
I've looked her over closely but have not actually made full acquaintance. I am counting the days until my new friends is home with me. According to the LRS associate, she is full of attitude, which might be a welcomed sight as Darla is so laid back and easy going, one with some spunk is most likely going to be fun and maybe even adventurous.
Thanks for your thoughts and wishes.

---------- Post added 07-26-2014 at 11:52 PM ----------

I like the shrunk idea. "She was always this big..its just been a while sence you seen her"
I had also considered the bait and switch approach but knew that wouldn't work. Plus I have my conscience to deal with. Make no mistake, I have exhausted all possibilities.

---------- Post added 07-26-2014 at 11:57 PM ----------

And welcome Darla II :)
Names aren't easy to come by. I don't think I can name my new one Darla. I have considered it though. I have no doubts she will tell me or show me her name in due time. I have a G. Rosea and an Aphonpelma armada which I have yet to name. Still waiting for them to help me out.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Sorry you have to say bye to the other one :(. But sometimes sad endings can have a new happy beginning.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
---------- Post added 07-26-2014 at 11:57 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Names aren't easy to come by. I don't think I can name my new one Darla. I have considered it though. I have no doubts she will tell me or show me her name in due time. I have a G. Rosea and an Aphonpelma armada which I have yet to name. Still waiting for them to help me out.
Yeah, our little G. rosea sling was easy to name. His name is Timothy Tarantula. (if "he" proves out to be a "her" she will be thereafter known as Tiffany Tarantula), our bigger G. rosea on the other hand is proving to be more difficult. I've always thought pets needed to be named carefully. I've always taken my time naming a new pet. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Yeah, our little G. rosea sling was easy to name. His name is Timothy Tarantula. (if "he" proves out to be a "her" she will be thereafter known as Tiffany Tarantula), our bigger G. rosea on the other hand is proving to be more difficult. I've always thought pets needed to be named carefully. I've always taken my time naming a new pet. :)
better then mine. only 2 are confirmed sexes in my household. 0.1 g rosea and an unnamed 0.1 A.geniculata the rest i refuse to name till i get sexes [nothing like naming an animal get attatched only to find out later itl die or need sent out to females in a yr] my G. Rosea RCF is Ginger.. original i know. but iv always had a things for redheads and ofc rosea CAN get a temper quickly [yet to happen sofar] but ginger just sounded right shes a sweetie and just soo pretty.

my genic still waiting to see her name to show as well. been thinking but shes just doesnt fall into your typical genic category lol only seen a pose one time and it was when she just got in from the mail [3 days in a bouncy truck, cant blame her!]

but my boehmei is the only exception.. its frankie.. :3 works both ways it was named well befor it showed colors lol just because the lil guy was sold as 1" but was actually like 1/3" but didnt flee when i moved its cage or opened lid.. just stood its ground and stared like "ju talkin to me? is jou talkin to me?!" XD my first thought was frankie like a mobster XD and if not its still frankie short for francesca

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Sorry you have to say bye to the other one :(. But sometimes sad endings can have a new happy beginning.
It will for sure. Just have to wait a couple more days for the arrival of my new enclosure. I am going to the LRS tomorrow to close the deal. Wish me luck. They have her on hold until the owner gets back. He'll be there tomorrow.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It will for sure. Just have to wait a couple more days for the arrival of my new enclosure. I am going to the LRS tomorrow to close the deal. Wish me luck. They have her on hold until the owner gets back. He'll be there tomorrow.
gl hopefully shes doesnt think shes a killer XD

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
gl hopefully shes doesnt think shes a killer XD
I kind of hope she does. I love the feeding response my Aphonopelmas have. They sometimes crash into the wall of the enclosure attacking their prey. That would be cool to have a large smithi attack prey like that. I might be dreaming, but it would still be awesome. I'm not worried about my interaction with her, as I will not be handling her just admiring her.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I kind of hope she does. I love the feeding response my Aphonopelmas have. They sometimes crash into the wall of the enclosure attacking their prey. That would be cool to have a large smithi attack prey like that. I might be dreaming, but it would still be awesome. I'm not worried about my interaction with her, as I will not be handling her just admiring her.
i ment killer as in tries to kill you not active hunter XD

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
i ment killer as in tries to kill you not active hunter XD
Well I don't think I'll have to worry about that, but she is reported to be a kicker, and the bald spot on the rump is testament to that. I went to the LRS today to get crickets and finalize the deal, but the owner wasn't in. So I just got to check on her and see firsthand the sold sign on the front of her enclosure. Soon. Soon I tell ya. She will be mine!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well I don't think I'll have to worry about that, but she is reported to be a kicker, and the bald spot on the rump is testament to that. I went to the LRS today to get crickets and finalize the deal, but the owner wasn't in. So I just got to check on her and see firsthand the sold sign on the front of her enclosure. Soon. Soon I tell ya. She will be mine!
have fun shell take a wiel to get to darlas size tho i got my boehmei at like 1/2 inch maybe.. and gah i dont think ill ever buy a brachy under 3" again XD but ofcourse you are a teacher so muuch more patient then i am X3

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
have fun shell take a wiel to get to darlas size tho i got my boehmei at like 1/2 inch maybe.. and gah i dont think ill ever buy a brachy under 3" again XD but ofcourse you are a teacher so muuch more patient then i am X3
Patience is a virtue my friend. Looks like Sunday will be the day I bring her home. As far as her growth rate is concerned, I'll be alright with that and will feed her all she can force down. Looking forward to it !!!

jim777

Arachnosquire
Sorry you are losing Darla, but it's great you have another lined up. They really are beautiful girls, very tough to let go!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Patience is a virtue my friend. Looks like Sunday will be the day I bring her home. As far as her growth rate is concerned, I'll be alright with that and will feed her all she can force down. Looking forward to it !!!
Hah that it is but i feel like this 1" boehmei and avic is gona be the death of me xD sooo slow xD my b. Albo grew faster lol tgese 2 r picky sheesh ill be 70 befor they mature (21 now)

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Well, my replacement for Darla is finally home with me. She's a little bigger than I thought. Damn close to 5". So far she seems pretty laid back. Doing some exploring and spent quite a bit of time at the water dish. She had both pedipalps, her fangs and her mouth in the water for several minutes. I guess she was thirsty. Either way I'm glad to have her home.