wondering about the sex of my b. Smithi

ViperZz

Arachnopeon
Hi there.

I got a B. smithi not so long ago and I heard about the boxing gloves that the males have.

the breader I brought her/him from a told me she was female but im unsure. she/he has around a 2" or 3" leg span

26072014073.jpg

26072014074.jpg

skippydude

Arachnobaron
A nice clear ventral picture of the abdomen is needed for a guess about the sex of your T. B smithi male & female pretty much look the same from this view at 2" to 3".

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Only mature males will have bulbs at the end of their palps, immature males and females will not.
We can't tell anything from these pictures other than that it isn't a mature male.
We would need a clear shot of a specific area of the molt or a clear ventral shot of the epigastric furrow and surrounding areas to get anywhere.

We have a dedicated sexing forum on the boards that you can upload these pictures to for people to discern the sex of your tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
Hi there.

I got a B. smithi not so long ago and I heard about the boxing gloves that the males have.
A male will only have its "boxing gloves" once its completed the final molt of its life....when you see them, there will be no more molts, only breeding (potentially) followed by death. At that size, even if its male, maturity is a long way off yet.