First post and an enclosure question!

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!

My fiance and I currently have built up a collection of about 30 tarantulas over two years and we've been primarily using critter keepers, aquariums, and acrylic enclosures from Jaime's Tarantulas.
We're phasing out the critter keepers and aquariums entirely but we've run into a problem. We have two T. stirmi, two L. parahybana, and one L. klugi. These guys are all only 1.5-2 years old and the
LP's already match our adult Grammostola and Brachypelma in size and the Theraphosas are even larger!

The largest acrylic enclosure offered by Jaime is 8x8x14". I've tried to place an order at tarantulacages but they're very expensive and the owner seems to be missing in action. As of right now my
T. stirmi are both in critter keepers with plastic wrap but this is far less than ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Large rumbler maid containers or a clear 6 quart shoebox would make Ideal homes for a very long time just drill or solder holes in the sides and on the lids (or cut out a circle of the old and put window screening (couple other alternatives) instead.

Hope this helps.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

My fiance and I currently have built up a collection of about 30 tarantulas over two years and we've been primarily using critter keepers, aquariums, and acrylic enclosures from Jaime's Tarantulas.
We're phasing out the critter keepers and aquariums entirely but we've run into a problem. We have two T. stirmi, two L. parahybana, and one L. klugi. These guys are all only 1.5-2 years old and the
LP's already match our adult Grammostola and Brachypelma in size and the Theraphosas are even larger!

The largest acrylic enclosure offered by Jaime is 8x8x14". I've tried to place an order at tarantulacages but they're very expensive and the owner seems to be missing in action. As of right now my
T. stirmi are both in critter keepers with plastic wrap but this is far less than ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
There are containers called Sterilite, and many other plastic containers out there. OR, build something yourself.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I'm gradually replacing my critter keepers with Sterilite containers that have the locks on each end. They also stack and this allows more room for my growing collection. Wal-Mart has a back-to-school special on their Sterilite shoe boxes: 5 for $4.50, but my husband is happier that I spent the big bucks for the locking lids.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all of the suggestions. Do any of you know of acrylic containers for sale besides tarantulacages? I prefer the excellent visibility offered by the acrylic as opposed to Sterilite containers. I suppose I may have to build my own for my largest tarantulas.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I appreciate all of the suggestions. Do any of you know of acrylic containers for sale besides tarantulacages? I prefer the excellent visibility offered by the acrylic as opposed to Sterilite containers. I suppose I may have to build my own for my largest tarantulas.
Jamiestarantulas.com

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i feel the best thing for a large T like them is a 20 long or 29g. to me a 6qt isnt much more then shipping sized. and every t.stirmi L.P. L.K and L.D adults iv seen utilize the entire 20long

Last edited:

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Check out LLL reptile. They are located in California and sell a brand of terrarium, which is glass and has a sliding screen cover. I have two and they are awesome. The terrariums are called "Creative habitat". They have a website and they have some larger terrariums too. These terrariums blow away critter keepers. You will love these. Nothing is better for viewing than glass!!! Here is the phone # 1-888-547-378453. I just placed an order yesterday for a creative habitat 10bt. You will have a hard time finding better customer service than these guys.

Last edited:

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Check out LLL reptile. They are located in California and sell a brand of terrarium, which is glass and has a sliding screen cover. I have two and they are awesome. The terrariums are called "Creative habitat". They have a website and they have some larger terrariums too. These terrariums blow away critter keepers. You will love these. Nothing is better for viewing than glass!!! Here is the phone # 1-888-547-378453. I just placed an order yesterday for a creative habitat 10bt. You will have a hard time finding better customer service than these guys.
I checked them out and they look fantastic. I found some 12 gallon terrestrial enclosures (19x12x12") at the Reptile-Enclosure website that look to be top notch quality if you like acrylic. They are worth
checking out if you need a little more depth. Thanks a ton for the great find, I may include some of those creative habitat enclosures in my collection as well, especially for some of the more arid terrestrials!

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I checked them out and they look fantastic. I found some 12 gallon terrestrial enclosures (19x12x12") at the Reptile-Enclosure website that look to be top notch quality if you like acrylic. They are worth
checking out if you need a little more depth. Thanks a ton for the great find, I may include some of those creative habitat enclosures in my collection as well, especially for some of the more arid terrestrials!
I have two of the 10bt which are 20x10x8, The 15bt is 24x12x 9. This should house almost any terrestrial you have. They also have some awesome vertical enclosures. and the prices can't be beat. These things are made with the T keeper in imnd. Again, I can't stress enough how good the customer service is with this company.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't ever buy from LLL even if they were the only supplier on the planet!

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't ever buy from LLL even if they were the only supplier on the planet!
Wow! I've only dealt with them once prior to my most recent order of a new enclosure, and had a very pleasurable experience. I was both pleased with the merchandise, as well as, the customer service. Apparently your experience was different. Care to elaborate? I am curious to know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! I've only dealt with them once prior to my most recent order of a new enclosure, and had a very pleasurable experience. I was both pleased with the merchandise, as well as, the customer service. Apparently your experience was different. Care to elaborate? I am curious to know.
SURE...PM me! I'll tell you exactly what I know.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One type of container I would highly recommend is the really useful box. If you check out Brian Stewart's youtube channel, you can see that he keeps a significant number of his T's in these.
His channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/projecht65
Link to the website:
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/boxdetails.php
Although they are a UK company, I've seen them sold in U.S. stores like Staples or Office Max. They're a bit more pricey than walmart plasticware, but they lock and come in nice square sizes and stack superbly.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
IMO if you want the best experience, you should make your own enclosures. Considering the prices of some enclosures built specifically for tarantulas, you'd be saving a buttload of money, and you're the creator, so you can be sure of the quality..

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
IMO if you want the best experience, you should make your own enclosures. Considering the prices of some enclosures built specifically for tarantulas, you'd be saving a buttload of money, and you're the creator, so you can be sure of the quality..
agreed. even if its just an acrylic enclosure not completely level, not evenly siliconed or the door hangs at an angle. you get a little experience in doing something and its alot cheaper. you dont have to be a master carpenter to make an acrylic cube. and its a percentage of what youd pay on a enclosure [unless your using sterilite you get for free lol]

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One type of container I would highly recommend is the really useful box. If you check out Brian Stewart's youtube channel, you can see that he keeps a significant number of his T's in these.
His channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/projecht65
Link to the website:
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/boxdetails.php
Although they are a UK company, I've seen them sold in U.S. stores like Staples or Office Max. They're a bit more pricey than walmart plasticware, but they lock and come in nice square sizes and stack superbly.

I have these Really Useful Boxes. For the money and locking lid, they are the best, come in a variety of sizes.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just wish they made ones with clear sides like acrylic so it would be easier to watch the T's
:(

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just purchased three acrylic enclosures from this place, and I was quite pleased with them. Not sure if they would work for your purposes. I specifically ordered from here because they had the larger sizes. When I spoke to the owner, he did say they do custom work as well.

This is the 12-gallon size.