Psalmopoeus vs Tapinauchenius

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey I was hoping that keepers out there of these two genera(Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius) would be willing to share their experiences keeping members of each in order to provide a general compare and contrast between the two in care, temperament, feeding habits and appetite, hiding and visibility, and all other relevant or notable characteristics of the two throughout their lifespans.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They're from similar habitats and care is pretty much the same (which is like Asian arboreal conditions). To me, Psalmopoeus are much more desirable. They're larger and tend to have more color/markings; they're hardy and grow quickly. I see Taps as ungodly fast, little brown spiders (the exception being gigas) that I'd never be able to catch if they got loose. Psalmos remind me of Poecs in a lot of ways.

Both genera seem to have more in common with OW arboreals than they do with Avics. There hasn't been a consensus in which subfamily they belong (Aviculariinae seems like a stretch, since they lack urticating hairs). They've also been placed with Poecilotheriinae and Selenocosmiinae (which aren't perfect fits either), and been in limbo part of the time. They have an interesting niche in taxonomy and evolution. Maybe they're a hold over from the past when tarantulas didn't have urticating hairs, or maybe they lost them after being arboreal. Are they more advanced, or less advanced than Avics? Or did the two groups just take different paths?

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Any other experiences with these two that might help? Visibility and hiding tendencies? I have heard T. Gigas is out in the open more then Psalmopoeus…Any truth to this?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Any other experiences with these two that might help? Visibility and hiding tendencies? I have heard T. Gigas is out in the open more then Psalmopoeus…Any truth to this?
I haven't got a Psalmo yet but I do know my T.gigas is out very often, day or night; when its in premolt is the only time it is reclusive. I will have to respectfully disagree with Poec in that Taps are drab, they are more of subdued metallic colors with gigas being the orange odd-ball. I can't help you with the compare and contrast but gigas and violaceus are probably the most aesthetically pleasing of the genus. I personally enjoy them because of their speed and attitude, my pokies will be beautiful one day but they are mostly grey scaredy cats atm; while the T.gigas is very social able and bright orange.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmos are about as reclusive as they come.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Psalmos are about as reclusive as they come.
None of my cambridgei have ever been reclusive. They're always hungry and always out. As adults they've never made any dashes (I keep them in shoebox size cages). From what I understand, Taps in similar circumstances would be on the ceiling in no time.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of my cambridgei have ever been reclusive. They're always hungry and always out. As adults they've never made any dashes (I keep them in shoebox size cages). From what I understand, Taps in similar circumstances would be on the ceiling in no time.
Well my experiences are completely different. I'm lucky if I see mine out every couple of weeks.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

awiec

Arachnoprince
I house my tap in larger containers just to combat that but mine has not really made any dashes; I throw a cricket in and it jump on it and runs back to the log. Maintenance is pretty easy as it just retreats to its hole when I clean. Perhaps I own an exceptional individual but I have very few issues with my tap.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My P. Irminia is rarely out but when she is hungry she will roam a bit at night. Love her though. I have a Cambridgei sling that stays out a lot and has not made any really thick webs yet to hide in. I heard T. Gigas is out quite a bit and would like to get some someday but only if I see a decent price on slings. So far most of the species people say will bolt are more likely to retreat to a hide if I touch the container they are in. I have one exception and I bet y'all can guess what god dang species it is….by the way, any opinion on what a fair price for slings about 1/2 inch?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think Cambridgei is typically a bit less reclusive than irminia.

cold blood

Staff member
I have only slings to speak of...A pair of P. cambridgei that are 1.75"ish, and a pair of P. irminia that are 1.25". They are all great eaters. They all quickly constructed silk burrows lined with dirt curtains so they can't be seen. One P. cam and one irminia are exceptionally reclusive. I mean when they are hungry, I see their feet, otherwise they are deep within. I do have one of each that, while they hide quite a lot, also show themselves with some regularity. As the one P. cam gets larger, its become increasingly showy, spending most of the time out of the burrow. Despite the comparative boldness of the 2, they respond just as the reclusive ones do....very skittish and as soon as the enclosure is so much as touched, they are right in their holes. It does make for easy maintenance as I don't need to worry about where they are. So far (4 months and several molts), they've been very predictable and very nice looking. They eat, hide and molt, repeatedly, often and grow quickly. I need a pulcher next, I hear they are out even more than the others in their genus, plus I love their look.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have only slings to speak of...A pair of P. cambridgei that are 1.75"ish, and a pair of P. irminia that are 1.25". They are all great eaters. They all quickly constructed silk burrows lined with dirt curtains so they can't be seen. One P. cam and one irminia are exceptionally reclusive. I mean when they are hungry, I see their feet, otherwise they are deep within. I do have one of each that, while they hide quite a lot, also show themselves with some regularity. As the one P. cam gets larger, its become increasingly showy, spending most of the time out of the burrow. Despite the comparative boldness of the 2, they respond just as the reclusive ones do....very skittish and as soon as the enclosure is so much as touched, they are right in their holes. It does make for easy maintenance as I don't need to worry about where they are. So far (4 months and several molts), they've been very predictable and very nice looking. They eat, hide and molt, repeatedly, often and grow quickly. I need a pulcher next, I hear they are out even more than the others in their genus, plus I love their look.
As youngsters, cambridgei like to feel protected, but get more confidence as they grow. My adult females are always out on top of their cork slabs. Never run, hide, or react to me, just feeding responses (they're fanatical eaters). My irminia and pulcher adult females spend more time in their retreats, and are more nocturnal.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've kept P. pulcher, still keep a couple P. irminia ladies and a P. cambridgei, as well as a P. langenbucheri. For Tappies, I have a single, adult female T. violaceus (formerly pupureus).

From the above, the Tappie is certainly the most nervous! She's out daily and visible often hence, but any disturbance causes her to a) immediately vanish into her hide, or b) makes her doing laps before vanishing. She's beautiful, though. Poec, you should get one of those they aren't looking just brown in the slightest! What Poec said is true, though - if these T's go for a run, they're just a blur! Psalm's are very fast, yes, but even owning them it would seem Tappies are faster (what's true doesn't matter really, they're truely teleporting period!) and the best advice is to be very careful when transferring them! Never should that done in a room clustered with stuff, I always prefer the bathroom for my girl, that way I can at least recapture her quickly if she bolts. So far, however, every transfer went smootly if you take precautions.

As for Psalmopoeus...

* P. pulcher seems the calmest really from my so-far experience. Likes to threaten, show fangs even at times, but usually doesn't run that much. (RIP, MM ~5")
* P. irminia varies with personality, most will be quite defensive, very reclusive and only out at night. Generally! My second female is extremely calm as often mentioned and quite often out, unless in premolt or simply not hungry. (both adult female ~5" + 5.25")
* P. langenbucheri is very reclusive (like irminia) but also very skiddish IME. Coloration is less attractive (to me) than the other species in the genus. (MM ~3")
* Despite what many people say, the P. cambridgei is my most defensive however. She's immediately threatening if anything comes close to her or her hide and she has no problem doing a 180° and immediately go for a bite or slap. (adult female ~7")

That said - each and every Psalm I own or owned, usually will retreat when disturbed. Maintenance and even rehousing are best done during the day, as most often, you can simply transfer the T with its hide into the new enclosure as they usually refuse to show up during daytime.

Bottom line: My Tappie is out even during the day often, my Psalms stay hidden for months at a time occasionally. Especially when they're in premolt. Psalmopoeus spp. are not a genus of T's to keep if you get easily worried, or don't have patience - that's what I can say for sure.

Also, Poec: T. violaceus, ~4.25" adult female "Saranyu" - she layed a couple dud-sacs for me already...beautiful girl...brown? Not at all :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Also, Poec: T. violaceus, ~4.25" adult female "Saranyu" - she layed a couple dud-sacs for me already...beautiful girl...brown? Not at all
I like T gigas, for the colors and size. Not in a hurry with the other ones, although violaceus does look better than average. There's a few more Psalmos (and Avics) I'd rather have first though. I've got a lot of cages, shelves, and supplies packed into 200 sq feet, and don't relish the thought of trying to catch a crazy Tap racing out of it's cage like it's possessed.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I like T gigas, for the colors and size. Not in a hurry with the other ones, although violaceus does look better than average. There's a few more Psalmos (and Avics) I'd rather have first though. I've got a lot of cages, shelves, and supplies packed into 200 sq feet, and don't relish the thought of trying to catch a crazy Tap racing out of it's cage like it's possessed.
I can imagine. Suffice to say my girl mostly goes to hide, but she is insanely skiddish. I just thought, I'd give you a good example they aren't really plain brown only ;)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus are more opportunistic then arboreal; found in burrows in the ground, burrows in road banks in rock crevices and tree retreats. I can't comment on Tapinauchenius as I have not seen these in the wild yet.

cold blood

Staff member
Psalmopoeus are more opportunistic then arboreal; found in burrows in the ground, burrows in road banks in rock crevices and tree retreats. I can't comment on Tapinauchenius as I have not seen these in the wild yet.
All 4 of mine have hides on the ground, only one really acts arboreal, that's my boldest P. cam.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
As youngsters, cambridgei like to feel protected, but get more confidence as they grow. My adult females are always out on top of their cork slabs. Never run, hide, or react to me, just feeding responses (they're fanatical eaters). My irminia and pulcher adult females spend more time in their retreats, and are more nocturnal.
I've had similar results from mine, although my irminia and pulcher are juveniles and are, as yet, unsexed. I have never had a defensive posture from any of them...yet. I offer plenty of hiding places that these and other t's in my collection take advantage of, so I can't complain if I never see them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I do know mine is fond of dirt curtains and it did burrow along with making web tubes as a sling. Can't speak for them in the wild though.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Standard Psalmopoeus spp. setup: Offer corkbark slab / -tube, 2-3" of substrate, let the T decide how to make a home. Mine all took to their provided hides and are usually retreating into them in case of disturbance.