Poecilotheria miranda behavior

FallingRepublic

Arachnopeon
Just a question for those with experience in keeping P. miranda. Every time I open her container (doesn't matter, slowly or hastily) she FREAKS out. Not in a threatening manner but more or less can't find a place to hide, although there are plenty of places for her to hide that she has used in the past but not on a regular basis as she mainly stays out in the open and visible. It's like she has a panic attack everytime her container is opened and she will do laps around the sides as fast as possible. Anybody had experience with this type of behavior? She is by no means stressed out or hungry, it is odd but kind of comical to watch her sprint. It's almost like I wake her up when I open her enclosure and she freaks. My P. metallica doesn't act this way, neither have any of my previous pokies (ornata, regalis, vittata, subfusca). Just curious as to other people's experience with this behavior, thanks!

- Brett

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's the quality of their retreat, not the quantity. They need a good one they feel is 'home.' If they panic when the cage is opened, escapes are more likely, so are bites. Mine get a good-sized cork slab, on an angle; that's where they head.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My couple 2"ers are very different in temperament so far. One is just going to hide, the other, while having a good hide as well, will do laps if I'm not careful. From what I hear, P.miranda are very nervous as slings/juvies anyways. And from friends, I heard some of theirs retain that attribute to adulthood. I'm assuming, some are just like that, despite the retreat perhaps?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My couple 2"ers are very different in temperament so far. One is just going to hide, the other, while having a good hide as well, will do laps if I'm not careful. From what I hear, P.miranda are very nervous as slings/juvies anyways. And from friends, I heard some of theirs retain that attribute to adulthood. I'm assuming, some are just like that, despite the retreat perhaps?
I have kept miranda for many years now and i have to say i think they are as calm as any poecilotheria ever gets. I can work with adults when they are out in the open and they dont even bother to move. Only poec that are just as calm is subfusca.

FallingRepublic

Arachnopeon
I agree, my subfusca was as laid back as a pokie can get.

She has a good hide she just apparently chooses not to use it. It's not a big deal for me, I was just curious as to if anyone else had this behavior come about. Thanks all for the replies!