free range tarantula

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got out of bed this morning and did the usual rounds as I always do.
Gecko present and accounted for.
G pulchra check
Gbb check
Nhandu coloratovillosus check
Euathlas sp red check
B Emilia check
B annitha check
B smithi check
G iheringi check
Paraphysa sp north check
Paraphysa parvula check
Aphonopelma serratum check
Oligoxystre diamantinensis?
So as you can tell ive got a free range od sling about 1" currently on vacation somewhere in the house after hrs of searching with no luck I thought I'd caught a glimpse of said t only to be wrong and startled to find a 3-4" tegenaria duellica (giant house spider) sat in a deep dark corner waiting for prey. Now don't get me wrong I wasn't holding out much hope of finding the sling to start with but after seeing the giant house spider I hold virtually no hope as they are known for killing hobo spiders and recluse in the US, so I feel my tiny od could be the next course on the menu

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You might get surprised. I had a Grammostola pulchripes juvenile that went rogue for nine months before scaring the hell out of my wife.

Hope you find it.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Keep an eye out around immediate area around the enclosure. I had a 1/2" P. irminia sling go missing for nearly three weeks. It was found later inside a QT mug that had been unpacked and placed only two feet away from the T shelf. In the middle of hand washing it the P. irmina was rinsed out and just narrowly saved before going down the drain!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
good luck! one of my geckos got out about 2 months ago[juvie].. thank god i have a few crickets running loose.. tho my rooms only 12x12 and no way to get out.. still cant find him but dont wana disturb the T's too much cuz its my actual bedroom.. and that would be a pain... have faith tho! i personally would have cupped the house spider sense he is a threat to a loose sling..[which means $$ down the drain]

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck! one of my geckos got out about 2 months ago[juvie].. thank god i have a few crickets running loose.. tho my rooms only 12x12 and no way to get out.. still cant find him but dont wana disturb the T's too much cuz its my actual bedroom.. and that would be a pain... have faith tho! i personally would have cupped the house spider sense he is a threat to a loose sling..[which means $$ down the drain]
That's the plan for today as it means moving a few larger t's around aswell as a bit of furniture then the house spider will be relocated to elsewhere

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
That's the plan for today as it means moving a few larger t's around aswell as a bit of furniture then the house spider will be relocated to elsewhere
i cant quite do that that involvs draining over 100 gallons of fish tanks, then moving my entire room.. and its pretty cluttered king sized bed 4 fish tanks. dresser snake rack. kritter nation 161 and a plastic rack from walmart my T's sit on lol.. i have like a 2ft path in my room around my bed from one door to the other XD i figured ill find him eventually. if not oh well. it was my stupidity =\ lol i do make sure i keep my T's in locking containers tho.. a few have twist tops and all but 2 have lock tops [like lock-n-locks] i have had to chase my B. boehmei once.. oh God for 1" hes sure could beat feet.. i was trying to play catch the boehmei with 3 catch cups... [granted i was just trying to keep him on the bed and not hurt him] i looked like i was trying to hustle casper XD

also always start out with pinholes even my 2" lp and ld have needle sized holes... quite a few of them but needle sized holes.. i need to bump it to pushpin sized tho but that is soon as i rehouse them this week lol

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i cant quite do that that involvs draining over 100 gallons of fish tanks, then moving my entire room.. and its pretty cluttered king sized bed 4 fish tanks. dresser snake rack. kritter nation 161 and a plastic rack from walmart my T's sit on lol.. i have like a 2ft path in my room around my bed from one door to the other XD i figured ill find him eventually. if not oh well. it was my stupidity =\ lol i do make sure i keep my T's in locking containers tho.. a few have twist tops and all but 2 have lock tops [like lock-n-locks] i have had to chase my B. boehmei once.. oh God for 1" hes sure could beat feet.. i was trying to play catch the boehmei with 3 catch cups... [granted i was just trying to keep him on the bed and not hurt him] i looked like i was trying to hustle casper XD

also always start out with pinholes even my 2" lp and ld have needle sized holes... quite a few of them but needle sized holes.. i need to bump it to pushpin sized tho but that is soon as i rehouse them this week lol
I'd rehoused 5 slings of various sizes this weekend including the oligoxystre diamantinensis that went missing 1 of the holes must have been slightly too big and that's how it got out, well today I found it when I was doing my rounds as Wednesday is feeding day I went around feeding the other's and came to feed my G iheringi sling and there sure enough in that enclosure was the carcass of my od which must have got into the enclosure and subsequently got killed and eaten by a sling twice it's size, at first I thought it was a cricket bolus but I knew it couldn't be as it was a clean enclosure and I'd not fed the T's till today so when I inspected it my worst fears were confirmed

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd rehoused 5 slings of various sizes this weekend including the oligoxystre diamantinensis that went missing 1 of the holes must have been slightly too big and that's how it got out, well today I found it when I was doing my rounds as Wednesday is feeding day I went around feeding the other's and came to feed my G iheringi sling and there sure enough in that enclosure was the carcass of my od which must have got into the enclosure and subsequently got killed and eaten by a sling twice it's size, at first I thought it was a cricket bolus but I knew it couldn't be as it was a clean enclosure and I'd not fed the T's till today so when I inspected it my worst fears were confirmed
Very unfortunate, I know I'd cry like a baby as those things are super pricey but on the other hand your G.iheringi got a very nutritious meal so the sling didn't totally go to waste. I'm always paranoid that one of my Ts will attempt as escape so they all get little holes until I know that they can't even fit a leg through the holes.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very unfortunate, I know I'd cry like a baby as those things are super pricey but on the other hand your G.iheringi got a very nutritious meal so the sling didn't totally go to waste. I'm always paranoid that one of my Ts will attempt as escape so they all get little holes until I know that they can't even fit a leg through the holes.
Yeah it sucks big time but as you say my little Grammy is well fed. Believe it or not od slings aren't expensive in the UK it cost me less than the iheringi that ate it. They come in at about $40-45 but they are rare. The iheringi was around $50-55. I'm keeping my eyes open for another od my collection isnt the same without it. I have 3 new slings coming tomorrow to take my mind off it a little

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah it sucks big time but as you say my little Grammy is well fed. Believe it or not od slings aren't expensive in the UK it cost me less than the iheringi that ate it. They come in at about $40-45 but they are rare. The iheringi was around $50-55. I'm keeping my eyes open for another od my collection isnt the same without it. I have 3 new slings coming tomorrow to take my mind off it a little
Quite the opposite her, I got my two iheringi cheaper than you got yours and the OD costs like $125-150 here. At least you'll be better prepared for the next time you can get another.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quite the opposite her, I got my two iheringi cheaper than you got yours and the OD costs like $125-150 here. At least you'll be better prepared for the next time you can get another.
The plan is to search everyday untill I find another it could be a while but I'm willing to wait. The reason the iheringi was expensive is as they take a while to mature they tend to be pretty rare still it's like it was with the G pulchra a few years they were also expensive but now because there's now pleny of them around as slings,juve,sub adults and mm mf they are fairly cheap starting at around $15 rising to around $130 for a mature female if you can find 1 for sale. My sub adult cost me around $105 when I got her 16 months ago today they cost roughly $20 less so I think the same will happen with the iheringi plus I can always order from mainland Europe where some species are a touch cheaper

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
At least the house spider didn't get to enjoy it. My house has a ton of false widows all over the place. I have 2 escaped 1/3" LP slings somewhere, I'm hoping they eat some of the tiny false widows and eventually I'll find them. 2 escapees out of 115 isn't bad, LOL.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At least the house spider didn't get to enjoy it. My house has a ton of false widows all over the place. I have 2 escaped 1/3" LP slings somewhere, I'm hoping they eat some of the tiny false widows and eventually I'll find them. 2 escapees out of 115 isn't bad, LOL.
Yeah that's true I suppose it died for a good cause (trying to find a positive). With the way lp's grow they will turn up huge unable to fit any gaps around the house lol. I'mpretty sure I'd be catching the false widow as a pet project I've started doing it now with the local species only last week I caught a lace Web and now its enjoy eating small crickets it's become part of my care routine and I also have a 3" male giant house spider living in my kitchen that I feed the odd cricket or housefly

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Yeah that's true I suppose it died for a good cause (trying to find a positive). With the way lp's grow they will turn up huge unable to fit any gaps around the house lol. I'mpretty sure I'd be catching the false widow as a pet project I've started doing it now with the local species only last week I caught a lace Web and now its enjoy eating small crickets it's become part of my care routine and I also have a 3" male giant house spider living in my kitchen that I feed the odd cricket or housefly
If you want a false widow, feel free to come over and take as many as you want. LOL. Those stupid things are everywhere. I've already killed a solid 300 of them this year alone. Makes it hard because I know if I spray inside, I'll get rid of them, but at the same time, the risk to my collection (even if I skip the T room) makes me hit the brakes on that idea.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want a false widow, feel free to come over and take as many as you want. LOL. Those stupid things are everywhere. I've already killed a solid 300 of them this year alone. Makes it hard because I know if I spray inside, I'll get rid of them, but at the same time, the risk to my collection (even if I skip the T room) makes me hit the brakes on that idea.
I've had similar problem with ants earlier this year I had 3 different colonies paying me a visit. As for your offer of free false widows I would if I could, we get them over here but mainly on the southern coast of the UK and I live in the north so it one species I've never come across or at least I've never noticed any

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
If your confident about Ts not excapingbyou xan always try diatomacius earth (spelling may be off) i always use this for ants and theybhave not been in my room this yr. But im pretty confident on my T's enclosures never had an escaped invert.. but if a t hit it itl melt exo n kill so its a risk but if outside the window itl help

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If your confident about Ts not excapingbyou xan always try diatomacius earth (spelling may be off) i always use this for ants and theybhave not been in my room this yr. But im pretty confident on my T's enclosures never had an escaped invert.. but if a t hit it itl melt exo n kill so its a risk but if outside the window itl help
The ant's never make it to the t room it's generally the living room or kitchen on the odd occasion but I found a product called nippon liquid it's similar to bug gel but it only attracts ant's, it allows them to take it back to the nest and kills from within. I generally don't like killing ant's as I find them fascinating creature's but given a choice between them and the safety of my T's the T's win everytime

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The ant's never make it to the t room it's generally the living room or kitchen on the odd occasion but I found a product called nippon liquid it's similar to bug gel but it only attracts ant's, it allows them to take it back to the nest and kills from within. I generally don't like killing ant's as I find them fascinating creature's but given a choice between them and the safety of my T's the T's win everytime
And that is y D.E. id in my windows xD