Ditmar the black rat snake

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I was noodling around through folders of pictures and it dawned on me that I don't believe I've ever posted a shot of Ditmar, my black rat snake. I don't generally name critters like snakes, but I call him "Ditmar" as a nod to a children's book my parents bought for me when I was young called "Ditmar The Black Racer". It was that book that spawned my interest in snakes and broke me from the mold of considering them something that should be exterminated with extreme prejudice as I had seen many adults, including my dad, do.

Attachments

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Thanks, I'm glad y'all like him! I've Encountered a lot of black rat snakes over the years, and this one was the first "perfect" specimen I've found. Usually they have a couple scars, that I presume were inflicted by their prey during the constriction process. This one is a bit younger and smaller than what I am accustomed to running across, which could explain his condition. I sometimes find very young ones as well. I always relocate those, with their pattern, people deem them copperheads and often kill them.
I hope this doesn't stir up a flap, but he is wild-caught, I found him stretched out on the street one night. He was stretched out so straight that I thought at first he was road-kill.Snakes aren't really the favourite critters of a lot of my neighbours, so when I spot them, I usually gather them up and transfer them to some woods near a small field a short distance away. But it was night, so I deposited him in the house intending to release him the next day. I was struck by his docility and condition and decided to keep him for a few days. But when he took to frozen/thawed mice immediately, I figured, "What the heck, why not make him a permanent tenant, he could do a lot worse..." I've had him over a year now, he eats great and seems pretty content. he did give a little concern when he decided to stop eating in October and did not resume 'til March. Butthat was apparently just the shift in seasons, so I'm not going to panic if he does it this fall.

Here is one taken just minutes after finding him. like I said, a very calm snake. Plus one of him while preparing for his first shed in his new home after he had been here a bit over a month

Attachments

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good looking snake : )

Sucks that people confuse them, and many other snakes as venomous, and kill them when they come across one.

Are they fairly common in your area?
I use to find rat snakes in my area, but haven't found one it the last 4-5 years.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, I usually run into at least a couple every year, but I haven't this year. He refused a feeding yesterday. I suspect he is going into another shed, it's way too early for him to be slowing down for the season.

A lot of people see the underlying pattern that adults retain and that reinforces the old misconception that they will cross with copperheads, which is stupid on a couple different levels.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Excellent. Not only did you find a post outside of our stomping grounds, you found an old thread to stalk me in while there. I'm glad you like Ditmar, though. I was a little worried you would not welcome him into the family.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Excellent. Not only did you find a post outside of our stomping grounds, you found an old thread to stalk me in while there. I'm glad you like Ditmar, though. I was a little worried you would not welcome him into the family.
I like snakes! I really would like to get a ball python before the end of 2015.

Ah good. I was so worried you wouldn't be impressed!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
No worries there, I always appreciate and am impressed by a good pursuit. Though I guess it depends somewhat on the pursuer.

I was always a little concerned about getting a ball python. i know they are hugely popular, but the reputation for refusing food if things aren't just to their liking had always scared me away a little. The G. rosea fasts were enough for me.
I think that if I were going to buy a snake, a corn would be what I'd choose. Almost goof-proof, I think.