Question about keeping tarantulas comunily.

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I've read about keeping a few diff species comunily but am nervous to try because I don't want any canabilism. Who has experience with this which species and have you had any canabilism. The species I've heard of being kept comunily are Avicularia avicularia, Pterinochilus Murinus, Holothele incei, and Heterothele villosella. Also curious since the last two I mentioned are in the same subfamily made me wonder if all tarantulas from that subfamily can be kept comunily?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics are not communal despite what you may read on some caresheets. Also an OBT communal is a bad idea.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only one I have seen communally and actually work out in the long run is M. balfouri and H. incei.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Avics are not communal despite what you may read on some caresheets. Also an OBT communal is a bad idea.
+1. From everything I've heard and read, it's only a matter of time before Avics cannibalize each other. Bad idea.

Controlling one OBT during an unexpected mad dash can be difficult, even for experienced keepers. A group of them bolting at the same time = escapes and bites.

OP: aren't you new to the hobby? If so, get a few year's experience keeping T's individually before trying group cages, for your sake and the animals.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be scared to attempt an OBT communal. I'm confident in my abilities to keep solitary individuals, but a communal just seems like a recipe for disaster "They're lethal at 8 months and I do mean lethal."

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
No one said one way or the other on the Heterothele villosella. I've seen thsee kept comunily on YouTube and they are the same size as H. Incei and in the same subfamily. Is this one any of you have tried or heard of others triing comunily?

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avics are not communal despite what you may read on some caresheets.
TKG also mentions them as a great communal species several times, just for the record... I know that goes against the current "common knowledge" about Avics and I've never kept them one way or the other, but yeah, he may have actually gotten that tidbit from a reputable source.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That could just be based off of the authors own experiences. Its probably a hit or miss type of thing, and you have to really ask yourself if its worth possibly losing one or more individuals. I'm willing to bet money that more often than not, Avic communals don't usually end well.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No one said one way or the other on the Heterothele villosella. I've seen thsee kept comunily on YouTube and they are the same size as H. Incei and in the same subfamily. Is this one any of you have tried or heard of others triing comunily?
H. villosella or H. gabonensis can either be kept communally, yes. Same requirements as H. incei, but don't make a mistake here: Holothele incei are NWs, while Heterothele spp. are dwarf-baboon spiders from Africa and as such OWs!

Besides, try get some experience keeping them individually first off.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I'd be scared to attempt an OBT communal. I'm confident in my abilities to keep solitary individuals, but a communal just seems like a recipe for disaster "They're lethal at 8 months and I do mean lethal."

+1, there isn't much of anything that intimidates me in this hobby, but a communal of OBT's would certainly do the trick. Definitely a recipe for disaster.