Repticon: The Bane of my Wallet

Dracorex5

Arachnopeon
After not keeping tarantulas for a long while, and working with some at the zoo I'm employed at as a Reptile Handler and Keeper, I felt it was finally time to get some T's of my own! Repticon Atlanta had the two species I wanted, G. Pulchripes and P. Murinus (I love them orange bitey things) as well as two more I decided to get... C. Darlingi and a species I've never heard of... E. Uatuman.

I've never kept baboons, but I can already tell I adore them, especially those lovely orange starbursts. Such personality! Wild! All these spiders are slings, and I already wouldn't touch those Usambras. And the two rear-horns are already building stunning burrows.

I'm keeping the slings "redneck" style (as is the Dahlonega way :p) in small mason jars. One of the P. Murinus molted at the con and I got a quarter sized sling for the price of one tiny itty bitty sling! (guy from Reptile Passions gave me a nice two-for-one for being a vendor at the zoo's table). Ideal situation is M/F of each species, ok situation is F/F of each...

I really love the E. Uatuman, or Emerald Skeleton Leg slings. stunning pinkish tone with black leg tips, almost transparent looking legs!
I'm excited to raise these guys up! Does anyone else in this state keep these species, in case a spider trade needs to happen when they are grown? I want babies!

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Repticon is coming to GA in November is what the website said:

http://www.repticon.com/atlanta.html

If I don't see anything listed about tarantulas in the hourly shows does that mean no one is selling any?

oh never mind I see the booths in the lower right hand corner, hopefully a few tables/booths will be selling some Tarantulas because that's all I'm really going for even though I love snakes.

Very excited about this because I've lived in Massachusetts all my life and they've never hosted a show there so I finally get to attend one and I'm already in the saving money process because I might easy spend $200 there...we'll see what happens!!

it comes twice a year?

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Tell me about it...Last Repticon I left with a baby bearded dragon. We just couldn't resist lol. I don't even think I should go to the next one in November. My wallet cannot handle it right at Black Friday time :D.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's incredibly draining on the wallet the way they come to NC. Even my area is a fairly small city, but the con still had a lot of T's.
Jones, a lot of times exotic sellers don't list that they sell T's on the repticon website, but I can assure you a good number do. The one I went to had two sellers that specialized in geckos and feeders that had a bunch of T's, plus other inverts. (scolopendra subspinipes, a couple 4-5" T. blondi/stirmi for $100).

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
It's incredibly draining on the wallet the way they come to NC. Even my area is a fairly small city, but the con still had a lot of T's.
Jones, a lot of times exotic sellers don't list that they sell T's on the repticon website, but I can assure you a good number do. The one I went to had two sellers that specialized in geckos and feeders that had a bunch of T's, plus other inverts. (scolopendra subspinipes, a couple 4-5" T. blondi/stirmi for $100).
thanks for that info, any particular they don't advertise the Ts?

Not top Sellers?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
this is why i nolonger go to reptile shows XD id always rescue the worst one from bad dealers [took retic who had every bone sticking out who was said to be a "picky eater" but took rats from my hand softer then any snake iv owned] and the T's where too tempting to me.. but now im about to get 2 more making it ten so now i rly gota stay away x3

Dracorex5

Arachnopeon
It comes 2-3 times in a year, and the number of vendors varies from con to con. I was working this one with my zoo, and got to have a bit of exploration time... I think there were two people selling T's exclusively, and the rest were collab groups (like Spiderboyz). Awesome con! Got some nice vendor discounts too!

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 08:49 AM ----------

I love it because I hate paying shipping fees for animals! And I can get a good look at what I'm buying. This round most of the T's were very small, but a few people had some massive adults. This is my first time working with slings, but I like it so far! And it's nice to actually be surrounded by reptile people. Many understand that age doesn't define experience. I may only be 19, but I've been working with reptiles, T's, and scorpions since I was 9, and that's a nice ten year chunk of learning I'd like to think. Lots of the people I bought from were very respectful about that, and that's more than my ego can ask for!