Dead...?

Wubong

Arachnopeon
I've had this avic. Avic. For around 3 months now no moltS from him or anything and i woke up to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Are you sure? My mom found him on his side next to the water bowl. Yesterday he was out and active though.
I laid him on his back from his side

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He may have been molting. You might have made a fatal mistake by touching him if he was. Just saying...

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure? My mom found him on his side next to the water bowl. Yesterday he was out and active though.
I laid him on his back from his side

If he was dead he would most likely be in a death curl, has there been any progress?
Tarantulas molting on their side isn't the best thing, but if I found a tarantula molting on its side I'd leave it, touching it would kill it easier then a molt on its side, I've had a gbb and a 6 inch b,vagans molt on their sides and be fine.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
I don't know how to check for "progress" in terms of what it what look like. I gentley moved him with a sturdy piece of paper to a smaller container so he can molt without crickets running around. He's still on his back and he is not stiff or anything. please keep replying to help me, i'm new to this hobby.
And if I caused his death (if dead) i'm going to feel bad for the next couple days... i've been waiting for this moment :(
How long will it take? a day?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Progress would look like legs going into the legs of another body in a way. If anything, check on her, YouTube or your favorite search engine for pictures or videos. Best thing to do is leave it alone and hope it has a successful molt.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know how to check for "progress" in terms of what it what look like. I gentley moved him with a sturdy piece of paper to a smaller container so he can molt without crickets running around. He's still on his back and he is not stiff or anything. please keep replying to help me, i'm new to this hobby.
And if I caused his death (if dead) i'm going to feel bad for the next couple days... i've been waiting for this moment :(
How long will it take? a day?
You should've left him and took the crickets out, you have to remember that molting is the absolute most vulnerable and stressful time for a tarantula, picking him up was a terrible idea, leave him alone.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Yeah, i'm done touching her. I'm just going to wait hope for the best. and for the crickets, there was about 30 of them so I thought it would be better anyway for him to be in a smaller space to molt. I put a little cap from a water bottle with water in it in the small cage for him incase i'm not awake to see him molt. Also, how long will it take? (no progress yet)

Last edited:

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Yeah, i'm done touching her. I'm just going to wait hope for the best. and for the crickets, there was about 30 of them so I thought it would be better anyway for him to be in a smaller space to molt. I put a little cap from a water bottle with water in it in the small cage for him incase i'm not awake to see him molt. Also, how long will it take? (no progress yet)
30 crickets in an enclosure? You don't need more than maybe 2 or 3 at a time. You should have left it in its original enclosure and just removed the crickets.

You need to read the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, like right now. It will answer all of these questions, and give you better foresight into the next molt.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
I dont have the money for that right now :/
There was like 20 because my mom bought a bug box and i told her not too.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
No it was not, and I also sprayed a tad bit of water and put a towel over the cage so I can get the humidity up, I heard it helps. Also turned on the heater so I can raise the temp a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
So much gone wrong here...ahhhhh! What in the world are there 30 crickets in its enclosure??? That's like total sensory overload for a t in a confined enclosure. From here on out, feed one single prey item at a time, if its not eaten in a few hours, remove it. Crickets can be predatory and are extremely dangerous to have in an enclosure with a molting t, and since you obviously don't know when a molt is coming, you should be extra careful. I can't even imagine 30 crickets in a t enclosure.:( ...it should never happen....because it did, you really had little choice but to remove the molting t, there's no way you were reliably getting them all out, especially if they'd been living in there.

Any time you find a t on its back, side or any other precarious position, leave it....literally don't attempt to move OR touch until you see mold or smell death.

By looking for progress, the first sign will be that the carapace will pop free. When you touched/moved it, were there signs of life (movement)?

I wish you...your spider, really....the best of luck, hopefully its a learning experience that doesn't cost the t its life, I have no doubt you will react much differently next time.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
no, I check it every 10 mins for about 30 seconds. Have not noticed anything...
I really hope it doesnt die cold, if it does i'm going to be extremely dissapointed because i've been waiting for a molt forever and i've been reading that it goes on its back when it molts and since it was on it's side I moved it. I hope it survives and now i'm just waiting. Should it only take a couple hours? A day?
Edit: when I moved it earlier the leg moved a little bit.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
When was the last time it ate?
Was the abdomen dark & shiny prior to this incident?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I doubt it was a molt, and that doesn't look like a molt position at all. It's very odd for them to molt without any webbing.

It looks like it has begun to void its bowels too, or leak from the anus.

Your best bet is to wait and see, and hope for the best. Note that tarantulas don't always die in a death curl.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Yeah it's been four hours since we saw it first no telling what time at night it started. I'm losing hope honestly. If it does live i'm going to be happy as can be.
And it did have webbing in its hiding place.