Brazilian black juvenile barricaded herself in?!

Charlotte H

Arachnopeon
Around 3 weeks ago I bought a 1" leg span Brazilian black. Was told it moulted the previous week and later found the moult in the substrate so I know that's true.

About 2 days after moving her into her new home it blocked up both sides of the hide with substrate and I haven't seen it since!!

After a few days of being blocked in I put a little cricket in but it didn't get eaten. One week later I've done the same, but still not eaten.

I wonder if it's because it doesn't know it's there or if something's wrong?

Is this normal and is there anything I should do to make sure it's ok??!!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
If you suspect a molt, don't put crickets in unless you watch the cricket and remove it immediately if not eaten.

Crickets eat molting tarantulas :(

As far as the Tarantula, most on here will say leave it alone. To be honest, if I was extremely worried about a specimen, I would very gently check in on it.

cold blood

Staff member
If its pre-molt, it need to be left alone....if its not preparing to molt, it may be adjusting to the enclosure, it may just want to be left alone....the final answer is the same no matter the reason....leave it, when it wants, it will emerge. I personally wouldn't even offer food until it comes back out. Its really just a simple case of a t being a t, perfectly normal behavior.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's highly possible that the molt you found was from much longer ago than you might have been led to believe. So, just let it do it's thang. Honestly, it could be taking a long to to adjust to the new home, is taking a long time to harden post molt, or is just fasting. I've never heard of a G pulchra fasting, but my experience with them is very limited. As in most cases: when in doubt, let the T sort it out.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's already been said that it could be in pre moult or could just be adjusting to it's new surroundings, my advice is to leave it be when he/she is ready it will reappear either bigger or hungry. Despite what some people will say or think the G pulchra is a very healthy eater when it's hungry but trust me on this it will from time to time go on a fast for no apparent reason most grammys do. I currently own a 6-6.5" female and she's fasting now she ain't eaten for around 7-8 weeks so try not to worry if it asnt reappeared in a week or so gently check on it congratulations on a great t

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas burrow - it's what they do. How many "my tarantula barricaded itself" threads do we need? Behavior as common as burrowing should be familiar to owners before, not after taking responsibility for the life of another creature. It's not unlike asking if it's normal for a cat to purr or meow.