Tarantula Watercolor Painting

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Besides teaching, I have also done illustration work on the side for years. This summer, I decided to take a break from my usual fare and try my hand at a tarantula. Figuring I'd start with something colorful, I chose the C. cyaneopubescens. I had a blast doing it and I've already discovered some ways to improve the technique. I'm now sketching out a couple others and am thinking about doing a series of them.

Although this one was painted in watercolor, I may try out another medium in the future.

GBB-Arachno-Final.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
lovely! ever think of making some to order? :p

i personally do drawings. i cant paint for *bleep* but i love when somone can paint so lovely. they can only make so many colored pencils for me to try and perfect [yes im one of those artists lmao] a piece XD

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Wow, very nice work! I love it. hope you do more of these and to second pyro fiend, perhaps you should make some to order!

It's a strange coincidence that I found out about the enclosures you recommended in my thread through your blog which I landed at randomly scrolling through T photos.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i personally have a painting being made by shewolf [to my picky specs. lol] id be happy to support another artist as well if you decide to sell them XD i suppose i should say so long as the price is right ;P

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Besides teaching, I have also done illustration work on the side for years. This summer, I decided to take a break from my usual fare and try my hand at a tarantula. Figuring I'd start with something colorful, I chose the C. cyaneopubescens. I had a blast doing it and I've already discovered some ways to improve the technique. I'm now sketching out a couple others and am thinking about doing a series of them.

Although this one was painted in watercolor, I may try out another medium in the future.

View attachment 128672
Very very nicely done!!! I too am a teacher, and used to be somewhat of an artist. Well done photos sent to you could be reproduced into beautiful works of art ! I played some with oil and acrylics but never tried water colors. My preferred mediums were charcoal and graphite. You are definitely very talented, and the medium of this forum could prove profitable for you, as I'm certain members would pay you for your work in the portrayal of their beloved pet spiders! What would this cost in a watercolor?
image.jpg

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! It's hard to get fine detail like hairs in watercolor, I'm impressed! (I can't do diddly squat in watercolor)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lovely! ever think of making some to order? :p

i personally do drawings. i cant paint for *bleep* but i love when somone can paint so lovely. they can only make so many colored pencils for me to try and perfect [yes im one of those artists lmao] a piece XD
Thanks, pyro fiend! I'm definitely considering making some to order. I wanted to give one a shot first and see how it went (amazingly, through all I've drawn, I've never drawn a tarantula before). I'll be making up some prints, and I'm always up for commissions. It'll be great to take a break from the stuff I usually draw. :) And there is nothing wrong with colored pencils; I just bought another set a few weeks ago. Haha.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thanks, pyro fiend! I'm definitely considering making some to order. I wanted to give one a shot first and see how it went (amazingly, through all I've drawn, I've never drawn a tarantula before). I'll be making up some prints, and I'm always up for commissions. It'll be great to take a break from the stuff I usually draw. :) And there is nothing wrong with colored pencils; I just bought another set a few weeks ago. Haha.
haha maght hafta take you up on that TOP OF THE LIST ;) i called it lmao i love colored pencils and charcoals tho.. thats the only way i can draw.. i feel like iv violated my drawing if i even darken a line with a pen XD but painter add a little white or another color BOOM new color.. i have over 400 colored pencils including in between colors like yellow-yellow-green [yes 2 yellows its a more yellowish yellow green XD] lol just cant make it perfect enough imo XD

oh yea i remember last time a painted.... i had to recarpet the room XD and repaint some of a wall ;P

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very very nicely done!!! I too am a teacher, and used to be somewhat of an artist. Well done photos sent to you could be reproduced into beautiful works of art ! I played some with oil and acrylics but never tried water colors. My preferred mediums were charcoal and graphite. You are definitely very talented, and the medium of this forum could prove profitable for you, as I'm certain members would pay you for your work in the portrayal of their beloved pet spiders! What would this cost in a watercolor?
View attachment 128686
Thank you, hairbug66! And it's great to encounter another teacher on the boards...I hope that you're enjoying your summer! I'm quite jealous that you are able to work with charcoal and graphite. I'm a horrible slob with anything that can smudge, so my main medium is actually pen and ink (I'm a bit of a detail junky). I was actually planning on a B. smithi for my next piece, so this would be a blast. I'll drop you a PM. :)

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 07:30 AM ----------

Awesome! It's hard to get fine detail like hairs in watercolor, I'm impressed! (I can't do diddly squat in watercolor)
Thank you, Cavedweller. I actually had to buy a new brush for the hairs...I'm eager to try it out on the next one. I tried watercolor many years ago and hated it. It was only a few years ago that I picked it back up again.

Wow, very nice work! I love it. hope you do more of these and to second pyro fiend, perhaps you should make some to order!

It's a strange coincidence that I found out about the enclosures you recommended in my thread through your blog which I landed at randomly scrolling through T photos.
Thanks, Reyenicole! I'm glad you stumbled on the blog...I always wonder who the heck is actually reading this stuff. :)

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 07:33 AM ----------

Hahahaha! My favorite medium is pen and ink, and for years I just worked in black and white. When I did venture into color, it was colored pencils. Out of necessity, I had to actually learn how to paint a few years ago, but I still go back to the pencils when the opportunity arises. :) And I hear you loud and clear about all of the color choices. :)

haha maght hafta take you up on that TOP OF THE LIST ;) i called it lmao i love colored pencils and charcoals tho.. thats the only way i can draw.. i feel like iv violated my drawing if i even darken a line with a pen XD but painter add a little white or another color BOOM new color.. i have over 400 colored pencils including in between colors like yellow-yellow-green [yes 2 yellows its a more yellowish yellow green XD] lol just cant make it perfect enough imo XD

oh yea i remember last time a painted.... i had to recarpet the room XD and repaint some of a wall ;P

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Iv been thinkin bout trying a P. sp Purple but being as i go thru at least 3 erasers on my detailed pieces i keep pushing it off besides oil and water colored paints would bring out a sheen and much more vivid color then my pencils will lol