New Scorpion Help

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I am looking for a new scorpion and I wonder if any one can help me. I am looking for a spacific scorpion.
It does not matter if the scorpion is big or small, bur i prefer the big ones. I prefer drier spices. The claws should be long and slender like on the c. gracilis. The scorpions venom can pack a punch, but I do not want a potent species. I also like scorpions with big tails. Any suggestions?:biggrin:

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You want a buthid scorpion. You should get a Parabuthus species.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You want a buthid scorpion. You should get a Parabuthus species.
Most Parabuthus are pretty potent... so it may or may not be a good choice!... However given the above requirements... it's tough to name something readily available that has a big tail, is large, slender claws, and isnt potent. Most (not all) scorpions with slender chela tend to be more potent since the chela are used simply for grasping, and not also crushing (most, not all), to let the venom do the work.

Babycurus gigas perhaps? The chela aren't too thin, thick tail, venom packs a punch, but TMK isnt super potent, and theyre large.... I guess :p That's my best guess!

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would agree with gromgrom. The Parabuthus spp. can squirt venom in your face, which is dangerous to your eyesight. Babycurus scorps are great-looking, large, and definitely not pets-store material. They're also not dangerous, but you'll remember a sting by one, to be sure! Hadrurus would be another good family to check out.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
What about the Centruroides spp.?
Checked out the Babycurus Jacksoni. Could this be something? And yes, I want a buthid.

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 06:08 AM ----------

Most Parabuthus are pretty potent... so it may or may not be a good choice!... However given the above requirements... it's tough to name something readily available that has a big tail, is large, slender claws, and isnt potent. Most (not all) scorpions with slender chela tend to be more potent since the chela are used simply for grasping, and not also crushing (most, not all), to let the venom do the work.

Babycurus gigas perhaps? The chela aren't too thin, thick tail, venom packs a punch, but TMK isnt super potent, and theyre large.... I guess :p That's my best guess!
When i said big tail I did not mean parabuthus big. Just not as small as a emperor scorpion:) and it does not have to bee big neighter, i just prefer it.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about the Centruroides spp.?
Checked out the Babycurus Jacksoni. Could this be something? And yes, I want a buthid.

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 06:08 AM ----------

When i said big tail I did not mean parabuthus big. Just not as small as a emperor scorpion:) and it does not have to bee big neighter, i just prefer it.
Centruroides spp. would be perfect. I figured since you said "like gracilis" you werent looking for a Centruroides spp :) Yes, I highly recommend any beginner use the Florida locale C. gracilis as a starter scorpion. Or something similar of course!

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I looked om some hottentotta species and I found the hottentotta franzwerneri. Could this be a good scorp?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you can keep your bodily appendages away from it...yes, it's a good scorp. Hottentotta's are fun! (just don't get stung by it.)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes.

Hottentotta gentili, Hottentotta tamulus and Hottentotta trilineatus have all caused human fatalities.

Not all of the Hottentottas have caused human deaths, but they should all be considered medically significant and treated with respect. Even a sting from a little H. judaicus wouldn't be funny.

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12341