Kitty Proof Enclosure

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking about getting a tarantula and am researching first. I'm thinking of a Chilean rose.

I have three cats (though two live with my parents). The one that actually lives with me is very curious and tends to be a bit of a bull in a china shop. And I'm pretty sure he would see a tarantula as prey or a toy to be played with. Which of course would not be conducive to the T living long. Plus I imagine a bite (not sure what the venom would do to a cat, being that they're much smaller than people) or being treated to urticating hairs won't be too pleasant for kitty.

So of course I'd need an enclosure that a cat can't open. Anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking of a critter keeper (if I'm remembering right, those are the little containers with lids that lock on and have another lid in the top that, when I had hamsters when younger, we would use whenever we needed to transport). But I'm not sure the top lid inside the main lid would keep the cat out. Perhaps taping it would do the trick?

Ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Lauren

Akai

Arachnobaron
Where would you be keeping this enclosure? KK's are fine and they come in all sorts of sizes but they aren't going to survive a fall if a cat knocks it off the shelf. Your tarantula could die from that alone. So that is the main issue.

Curious what made you decide on a Rose Hair? They can be had for cheap. I see them at Pet Smart all the time for like $20 for juveniles. I've rescued 3 from there. llol They are pet rocks btw so it's not going to excite your cat too much. lol

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I'd have to guess that the best case scenario is that the cat is kept away from the T cage. Even if it can't get in, a cat messing around with the tank or pawing at the sides of it would get really stressful really fast. If you get a G. rosea, expect it to move about as much as a rock, so a cat would probably not even realize it's alive. I understand why so many people go with the G. rosea for the first one, but the only thing separating a rosie and a TON of cooler species is the possible temperament. Excuse my tangent, but a rosies have the possibility to have a variety of personalities, and some can be as reactive to pestering and movement as an OBT.

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
Well I was thinking of an end table on my living room, but with the possibility of the cat knocking it over, I am guessing I might want to reconsider. Perhaps the coffee table which is closer to the floor? Then again, putting it on the floor prevents it getting knocked off of anything. Seems a bit odd to have it sitting on the floor, but odd and safe would be preferable to normal yet dangerous. Oh wait, I will have to look but there might be space in my TV stand under the RV by my DVD player. I can't say for sure there'd be room there, but I think the chances of it getting knocked to the floor there would be pretty close to zero. But I wonder if being so close to electronics might bother the tarantula?

So you would be more concerned about the enclosure being knocked to the floor as the cat romps than you would be about the cat getting the lid open? Even the smaller feeding lid?

I had read that Rose Hairs are good beginner tarantulas, fairly easy as far as care goes, as well as docile. I've gathered there's debate over whether or not a T should be handled (which I would never do without securing the kitty), but I'm thinking it's something I may do occasionally so would want one that is more docile and amenable to handling. I had gone recently with a friend to a local pet shop (which has a good reputation for knowledge and care of their animals) and was looking around and asked about tarantulas, and they said the rose is generally one of the ones they recommend for beginners. Plus they don't seem too expensive...if I remember correctly about $15 for a sling, but I would probably want to get one old enough to know the gender, as I understand females tend to be longer lived.

TCVulpes

Arachnopeon
I have 3 cats. I kitten (4 months old) and 2 seniors (13+ years old). I have my E. sp red in one of these http://www.jamiestarantulas.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=00001 above my desk in the office. I don't think any of them have even noticed she's up there. I've got the case stuck down to the shelf above the desk pretty well since the biggest issue would be the fall, there's no way they can get into this container.

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
Lacrosse5001, I had read that the G. Rosea tends to be pretty inactive. Seems I've read some find them almost boring. Might be a good choice if kitty finds it boring. I might at some point think of one of the cooler ones, but I think I'd better start with something a bit easier to get my feet wet. I'd heard/read the Mexican redknee is also a good beginner T, but have thus far done more research on the Rosea.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I have my Ts on a bookshelf, which thankfully my cat doesn't jump up on - have you considered a small floating shelf high enough that your cat can't get to? Or if you have a bookself, maybe you can find some glass doors to fit to the front of the shelves. Not only would the tank being knocked over be..cat-astrophic...but the cat's curiosity alone could also stress the T and/or enable an escape depending on how crafty your feline is. Personally, I'd look for a secure tank of course, but keeping it away from kitty would be my #1 priority.

Kron

Arachnosquire
I think it's unlikely that the cat will figure out how to open the box but it would definitely try (even if the tarantula doesn't move that much a cat is smart enough to make out that it's some kind of big spider, at least mine can), the main problem as others have said is if the cat knocks it off the shelf as not only could the fall kill the tarantula but the lid will likely brake open and the cat will dive in and eat it (this once happened to one of my gerbils). So I'd say make sure the enclosure is up against the wall plus not too high up, unless you have a mechanism to hold the box down.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Never, never underestimate a cat, or overestimate the security of an enclosure. Even if you try to restrict them to separate rooms there is always the risk of human error. I got out of tarantulas in the 1980s because of my persistent cats and family members that couldn't remember to secure the door with the cat(s) on the appropriate side.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
I'm thinking about getting a tarantula and am researching first. I'm thinking of a Chilean rose.

I have three cats (though two live with my parents). The one that actually lives with me is very curious and tends to be a bit of a bull in a china shop. And I'm pretty sure he would see a tarantula as prey or a toy to be played with. Which of course would not be conducive to the T living long. Plus I imagine a bite (not sure what the venom would do to a cat, being that they're much smaller than people) or being treated to urticating hairs won't be too pleasant for kitty.

So of course I'd need an enclosure that a cat can't open. Anybody have any ideas? I'm thinking of a critter keeper (if I'm remembering right, those are the little containers with lids that lock on and have another lid in the top that, when I had hamsters when younger, we would use whenever we needed to transport). But I'm not sure the top lid inside the main lid would keep the cat out. Perhaps taping it would do the trick?

Ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Lauren
I would recommend you keep it in a cupboard. I think that would be the safest place. Be careful at the China shops. You don't want one of us Chinese guys to get pissed at your cat :p (jokes)

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Lauren
Cats are more than capable of knocking most enclosures off of whatever surfaces they're on. That would certainly be the case with a Kritter Keeper. Your cats might not be able to get into the actual enclosure, but they could still throw their weight around and do some damage. I have a cat, and although he's never shown any interest in my tarantulas, I avoid potential issues by keeping the door to the tarantula room closed. If possible, that might be a better solution for you.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
This is a big part of the reason I don't allow cats in my house. Well, that and I hate cats.

awiec

Arachnoprince
No need to hate on cats, just keep the cage somewhere where the cat can't get to it. Putting the T in a cupboard or a knick knack self with a secure door would be the best option. If you can keep the spider in your room and keep the cat out that would be helpful but human error could allow the cat in the room. Putting the T on the floor wouldn't be the best plan as they can feel all of those vibrations from the floor (then can on a book shelf too but it seems more muted) and that can stress them out; or someone accidentally kicks the cage. My mother's cat has no interest in my spiders what so ever, but she is all over crickets, so I make sure all of the Ts eat their food before I allow her to wander around my room. It's very nice that you are thinking of these things before getting the T. If you feel that there is no place for it to be kept safely then perhaps just wait until you have your own place or can afford a secure cabinet to store your future pets in.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take the critter keeper and put it inside of a 10 gallon glass aquarium. The cant knock that over.

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I did think of the bedroom or cupboard above the computer, but, as for the bedroom, I tend to let Cheez-It (kitty) sleep with me. He does pretty good with the idea that night time is for sleeping, not nocturnal shenanigans cats are sometimes known for. So maybe it would be okay. Of course, he does sometimes move around and may even play a bit, so perhaps it would be problematic still. But most of the time he does sleep when I do.

About the cupboard...I don't have any with glass in the doors. I understand a T doesn't necessarily need a ton of light, but wouldn't it need to be able to distinguish day versus night?

I like the 10gal tank idea. It would take Superkitty to knock that over.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I did think of the bedroom or cupboard above the computer, but, as for the bedroom, I tend to let Cheez-It (kitty) sleep with me. He does pretty good with the idea that night time is for sleeping, not nocturnal shenanigans cats are sometimes known for. So maybe it would be okay. Of course, he does sometimes move around and may even play a bit, so perhaps it would be problematic still. But most of the time he does sleep when I do.

About the cupboard...I don't have any with glass in the doors. I understand a T doesn't necessarily need a ton of light, but wouldn't it need to be able to distinguish day versus night?

I like the 10gal tank idea. It would take Superkitty to knock that over.
A T won't miss light, I allow natural light so they know what time of the year it is, but they can thrive without it no problem. I just prefer the glass cupboard option cause then you can just look at your T without having to open a cupboard but I keep mine on a bookshelf so it's irreverent. You can try to 10 gallon strategy, but you would need a cover that can stand up to a cat's weight so keep that in mind if you try it.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
20140223_230233.jpg

I keep mine in a bookshelf from Ikea because one of our cats sleeps in the same room the tarantulas are in. I use a child lock because one of my other cats is shifty eyed and I don't trust her lol. I did have the ts in my closet for like 6 months until I got the case and noted no issues during that time.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I have no clue why my photo is sideways, as it isn't like that in my phone lol.