Dune scorpion (?) reproduced by herself!

Magic Coco

Arachnopeon
I have been collecting scorpions for almost a year now. I bought this one from another collector just a couple months ago, he told me it was a "Dune Scorpion" - although it does not look like the dune scorpions in the pictures when I look them up on google. Its tail is much thicker. I was shocked, to say the least, to discover it covered in offspring two days ago, as it has been housed alone all this time. I looked it up and read about Parthenogenesis which I was unaware of before, I figured none of them could reproduce as they are each housed alone. Can anybody tell me if this is in fact a dune scorpion, maybe she has a thick tail because she reproduces? Or was the collector that sold her to me misinformed, does anybody know what species this is, and is it in fact one that can reproduce by itself? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
dune.JPG

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That isn't a Dune Scorpion, it appears to be Hoffmannius spinigerus or some other similar Hoffmannius species.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This species is not known to be parthenogenetic. You were just sold a gravid female. :) Scorpions can hold sperm for extended periods until conditions are right to start gestating their young. Congrats! They have some large broods, keep a dozen back for yourself and start a project :) Get some fruit flies for the young! haha.

Seconding vespers on the ID. Not sure myself

Magic Coco

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I guess the collector that sold her to me was not as informed as he made himself out to be. I have gotten two other scorpions off him, now I can't be sure they are what he told me! I'm going to post 2 more pictures, he told me these were an Egyptian Green and a Yellow Fattail, is this accurate?
egyptian.JPG yellowfattail.JPG

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes....Egyptian green is a Buthacus sp. and the other is Androctonus australis....

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "yellow fattail" in your photo is actually Androctonus amoreuxi, I believe. That means you have a potentially life-threatening scorpion on your hands....caution advised!

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I feel like if that was any member of the androctunus scorps it would be potentially life threatening would it?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel like if that was any member of the androctunus scorps it would be potentially life threatening would it?
Yes, but there are differences in toxicity and venom yield. A. amoreuxi is less than half as potent as A. australis, and also injects less venom. A. bicolor is probably among the least threatening of the Androctonus spp., while A. australis, A. crassicauda, and A. mauritanicus are, to the best of my knowledge, at the top of the genus in terms of potency and venom yield. I haven't seen any specific LD50 data on A. baluchicus.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The "yellow fattail" in your photo is actually Androctonus amoreuxi, I believe. That means you have a potentially life-threatening scorpion on your hands....caution advised!
No, it is an instar 4 specimen of A.australis.

Magic Coco

Arachnopeon
I am selling the Hoffmannius spinigerus or whatever it is to another collector tomorrow, I do not know how nor do I want to have to deal with the situation. After I sell it my collection will be down to 4 - a flat rock scorpion, an Egyptian Green, a yellow fattail, and a vinegaroon. Next chance I get I am going to go to the exotic pet store in Seabrook, NH (they don't sell arachnids in my home state of Maine) which is where I bought the vinegaroon, to pick up another one, also considering some other inverts such as a centipede.