My search is over-G. Pulchra

Zigana

Arachnosquire
After 5 months of going to local reptile shows, searching local ads, trying to find a breeder in my state, asking upteen semi-local pet stores for ordering availability with no luck I finally found the G. Pulchra from a breeder in a near by state. You know how this hobby is so just one wasn't going to be enough, I ordered two. Now, the dreaded wait that will feel like forever until they arrive on Thursday. I'll post pics as soon as possible. :)

cold blood

Staff member
After 5 months of going to local reptile shows, searching local ads, trying to find a breeder in my state, asking upteen semi-local pet stores for ordering availability with no luck I finally found the G. Pulchra from a breeder in a near by state. You know how this hobby is so just one wasn't going to be enough, I ordered two. Now, the dreaded wait that will feel like forever until they arrive on Thursday. I'll post pics as soon as possible. :)
5 Months to find a G. pulchra? They are pretty common, why'd it take 5 months to locate? Next time take a quick look at the AB classifieds, you'll likely find what you are looking for in ten minutes. Great t BTW, enjoy, glad you finally decided to pull the trigger...so to speak. How big are they?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Congratulaions, I just love the pulchras, so much I bought 5 last time I got some. They are my favorite species :D

Zigana

Arachnosquire
February thru May I couldn't find any available, even in the online classifieds. June and July I saw them start showing up but at the time I was looking for one then add the shipping cost to it well it was just expensive to me for one tarantula. Thought maybe I could locate one local or have a store order one with their next shipment and avoid shipping cost. The only one that could get one, a 2 inch female, priced to me for $200 which I told them I wouldn't buy at that price. The weather here started warming up to above 90 beginning of July so no shipping with being hot. Over the weekend saw the weather was going to cool off this week so found a breeder with a few available at a reasonable price so I ordered two. They are not very big, around an inch to 1-1/4".

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

Congratulaions, I just love the pulchras, so much I bought 5 last time I got some. They are my favorite species :D
Thanks! Five? Wow, that is awesome!

Last edited:

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
They are totally awesome! Possibly my favorite species. Congratulations on finding them. I'll be waiting to see pictures. :D

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Skippydude your so lucky!!! My one pulchra is so much fun, always busy decorating . One day I will have a few .

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
wow, it must be hard finding G.Pulchras in your state, as they are common here in Eastern USA. In addition most websites that I get my Ts from have a readily available stock of G.pulchras. Now should your new two G.Pulchras be male and female, do not try breeding them as the chances of them being of the same family is high and we really do not need inbreeding happening.

cold blood

Staff member
Now should your new two G.Pulchras be male and female, do not try breeding them as the chances of them being of the same family is high and we really do not need inbreeding happening.
Should 1 be male and 1 female, the male will almost certainly be dead by the time the female matures if kept the same way. You'd need to put some serious effort speeding the female's maturity while at the same time doing everything possible to slow the growth in the male.

I do agree they are common at online dealers.;)

Zigana

Arachnosquire
You are very lucky. No, not many in my state that I can find. I found a few online from wholesalers/retailers that wanted my wallet plus part of a car payment for one tarantula. When I did see a good deal from breeders or individuals they were either sold out or local pick up only in some other state. So with all this being said I'm very pleased that I finally have two arriving soon. :)

Breeding? Their just kids right now guys. No need to plan that far ahead yet.LOL
:)

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I was lucky enough to live near someone (Scoolman) who had pulchra. I hadn't found any before he got a sac.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
Congrats! I just finally got my pulchra sling and I'm so happy! It is a little under an inch and already molted a few weeks ago. Out of all of my slings the pulchra eats like a champ!

Neoza

Arachnobaron
February thru May I couldn't find any available, even in the online classifieds. June and July I saw them start showing up but at the time I was looking for one then add the shipping cost to it well it was just expensive to me for one tarantula. Thought maybe I could locate one local or have a store order one with their next shipment and avoid shipping cost. The only one that could get one, a 2 inch female, priced to me for $200 which I told them I wouldn't buy at that price. The weather here started warming up to above 90 beginning of July so no shipping with being hot. Over the weekend saw the weather was going to cool off this week so found a breeder with a few available at a reasonable price so I ordered two. They are not very big, around an inch to 1-1/4".

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

Thanks! Five? Wow, that is awesome!
In my country there are like 3 shops with tarantula's and maybe 5 breeders :eek: i dont choose the species i want, i need to see what species they have and decide if i want them :( america is awesomr when you are a tarantula keeper :)

Zigana

Arachnosquire
They arrived this afternoon safely and doing well. The darkest colored one settled in to its new home quickly. It checked the enclosure out and then headed straight for it's hide, looking around and then started digging. It was no time and it was hidden under the soil. It was funny watching it dig/burrow, front end under dirt with just it's abdomen and back legs seen above soil pointed straight up..lol.

The lighter colored one stayed where I put it in the enclosure for several hours. A few minutes ago it decided to check the hide out and stay in there for now. It hasn't started trying to hide under the soil yet.

Sorry for the quality of photos.

Attachments

Zigana

Arachnosquire
The darker colored one is definitely more entertaining. It was busy yesterday as soon as it was put in it's enclosure and continued thru the night. When I checked on it this morning I was surprised to see it had taken most all the substrate out of it's hide...lol. This one will be interesting to watch!

The other one found the hide but nothing done inside. It did find the small cricket last night that I put in a corner of the enclosure.

Attachments