On average, how often do B. vagans slings and juvies molt?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I've been a bit curious about this for a while - some people seem to think that they grow very quickly, but others say they grow at the same pace as their other brachys. My main reason for posting this is the fact that I've had my vagans sling for just under three months now and I know for a fact that it's molted at least once - however, I got a good look at it yesterday (this is a rare occurrence) with its legs fully extended and it's now comparable to my A. ferina in size. It was a 1/2 inch when I got it, now it appears to have a 1 inch leg span. Is it possible for any T to gain that much size after one molt? Or is it possible for a B. vagans to molt twice in less than three months? (And how likely is it to occur?)

I understand that as T's grow, their molting becomes less frequent - it's the growth rate of specimens between the newly hatched stage and the sub-adult stage that I'm curious about. When I started typing this I had intended to present it in Poll format, but I'm thinking that a poll might not be the best way to gather information. As they graduate from sling to juvie to sub-adult I imagine molting frequency will gradually slow down, so the limitations of the poll (only being able to select one answer) would ultimately lead to inaccurate data.

I don't expect exact dates, just close guesstimates on the number of weeks/months between molts; although, if anyone has kept detailed records of their specimens and their molt schedules, that would be very helpful. The more accurate the info, the better. To make things easy, unless you want/need to elaborate, you can answer in this format:

Slings - [insert time frame between molts here]
Juvies - [ditto]
Sub-adults - [ditto again]

If you noticed variation between individual specimens, or noted that one molt took forever while another later molt happened more quickly, by all means document that as well. The more detailed the info the better, but timing is the important part. If you can remember how much size your specimens gained after each molt, include that as well.

My ultimate goal in creating this post is gathering enough data to roughly calculate the average growth rate of B. vagans. It will be interesting to get a rough idea of when I can expect to see some more vibrant adult colours on my own specimen; so far her legs and the top of her carapace have darkened to a lovely shade of bluish grey. Her abdomen is just barely starting to change color - it's a minor change, but noticeable.

...also, on the off chance that someone feels the need to point me in the direction of the "Who molted today?" thread: I have not the time, patience, or the inclination to sort through 231 pages of posts on every T available in the hobby just to try and cherry-pick the relevant info...never mind attempt to organize said info into something useable. This method will be far more efficient and considerably less time-consuming. Thanks all. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Its really all variable depending on several factors. The warmer its kept, the more food you supply, the feeding attitude of the individual t, can all be factors that considerably speed growth. People keep them differently, and have vastly differently feeding schedules, thereby having the same basic t, with vastly different molt schedules as well as growth attained with each molt.

Basically I find that slings, fed regularly and not kept especially cool, will most often molt every 30-50 days. Once they get 2-3", that period will last longer, as it will take longer to fatten the t up and the growth process will also take longer.

If you want them to grow faster, keep them warmer, like 78-85 degrees and feed them whenever they will accept prey. Its actually something that can be manipulated by you to some degree to get whatever growth rates you desire.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Growth/molting is heavily influenced by temps (day and night) and feedings; what you feed, how many, how often, & how big the prey items are. There's no way to standardize this because of the variables. One person can feed three 1/4" crickets once a week at 70 degrees, and another person can feed five 1/2" crickets twice a week at 85 degrees. The spiders will grow at different rates...which do you go by? Do you even know these specifics when someone tells you a growth rate? At best you can say they molt 'often' vs 'not often' but unless you know the details of what a person did, you can't expect the same results. Some species grow more at molts than others. How big a sample does that person have? Males and females can grow at different rates, and if someone only has one or two of that species (which is very common) and they're both the same sex, their results may not be representative.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said, it depends on the temps and feeding. My 4 inch b.vagans female is being kept at around 20-23C, she molted exactly 2 months and 8 days ago and is in heavy premolt with a barricaded hide and could molt at any second right now.