savannah monitor

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bought a juvenile Savannah about a month ago. I was wondering if anyone out there has some pictures of enclosures for savannahs. I am now keeping it in a kritter keeper but it will soon out grow its home. Also what kinds of food other than crickets would be good? Mine is about 5 or 6 inches long. :?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Other than crickets you can feed the little guy pinkies, super mealworms, wax worms, roaches, or earthworms. A new book on just savannahs was recently published. It is The Savannah Monitor Lizard - The truth about Varanus exanthematicus by Daniel Bennett and Ravi Thakoordyal. Daniel Bennett does tons of monitor research and knows his stuff. Here's a link to his site: http://mampam.50megs.com/bok/

Sorry, I don't have any savannah enclosure pics, but you might want to request some at varanusweb.com. Someone there may have some.
Mike

Last edited:

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it's good that it's so small. be sure to handle it as much as possible because they can be pretty mean little bastards. not so much an issue at that size but when they get bigger they can be a real pain in the ass.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Mike,

I'm glad to see someone recommend that book. I live about 45 minute's drive from Ravi and can attest to the fact that he knows his stuff when it comes to captive husbandry.

Cheers,
Dave

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
book is ordered

skinheaddave said:
Mike,

I'm glad to see someone recommend that book. I live about 45 minute's drive from Ravi and can attest to the fact that he knows his stuff when it comes to captive husbandry.

Cheers,
Dave
I ordered the book a couple of days ago. I am hoping it will arrive soon. I think it will answer several of my questions. Dave how many and what species do you keep?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cool Dave. It's always fun speaking to monitor people especially if they study them in the field. Daniel Bennett was at one of the white plains reptile shows last year. I was hoping to bump into him. I was told that he, like me, has had the pleasure of recieving a lace monitor bite. I wanted to compare scars:) I need to get that book myself. I have no savanahs but its still worth having in the library. BTW my two yellow ackies turned out to be males. Now the search for a female or two.
Mike