What would you choose? brachypelma

viator80

Arachnopeon
If you had a choice between B. Smithi, B. Emilia, and B. auratum, what would you choose and why? I
Currently have an adult G. Rosea, a MM A. Avic, and a tiny Rosea sling. Looking for something pretty as well as docile. These are my three sling choices at the moment. Thanks for your input!! :)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All three are amazing and have different benefits to each, but I would choose Brachypelma auratum hands down!!!! Auratums are hard pretty rare, the best looking brachy, and the three auratums I have don't flick like b smithi do(at least from my experiences). If you could I would recommend you buy all three!!!!

FallingRepublic

Arachnopeon
72 is right, get all three... BUT emilia's are better looking than auratum's ;) still standing by that haha!

viator80

Arachnopeon
Can't afford all 3 right now. I wish!

---------- Post added 07-29-2014 at 07:53 PM ----------

Are they all similar in behavior?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love my B. smithi, so that would get my first vote. My B. smithi is quite calm and never flicks. I also love the coloration. However, I also love the look of B. auratum as well.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I have several of each of these three species and love them all :D auratum because of its rarity, emilia because of its beauty and what's not to love about a good old school smithi. I'm sure you'll be pleased as punch with whichever one you choose

Right now my brachy wish list includes klaasi & shroederi

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emilias are so dull compared to the shiny black and the blood red knees of the auratum. You can always find emilia........ you can't with auratum ;)

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I have 3 Brachys: smithi, boehmei, and emilia. Of my 3, the emilia is my favorite color wise and is the most fun to watch.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, they are all somewhat similar in general behavior, though they can each be individuals, too. There is no guarantee that an individual read the "docile" chapter. My AF smithi is super calm. The subadult male is more than a bit flighty. I've heard of B. smithis with attitudes to rival an OBT. The five B. emilia that I raised were more consistent in temperament from sling through adult, though the males were far more visible than the females. The female I kept is a pet hole. I'm raising 5 B. auratum who are currently in the juvenile phase (1.2.2). The confirmed male is very visible and outgoing. One of the confirmed females is shy and retiring. The other confirmed female is somewhere in between, as is one of the unsexed. The last unsexed is very defensive and can do a great Poeci teleportation imitation.

Each is a beautiful species in its own right. I can't say that one is any more beautiful than another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Availability of each species waxes and wanes. Not long ago people were complaining that there weren't any emilias available. Another time there were no smithis... I've seen quite a number of auratum of all sizes listed for sale in recent months, and the price of slings seems to have come down.

OP, if you're ordering a spider online, it costs the same to send 2 or 3 spiders as it does to ship one. You might want to save your money and spread that shipping out a little and get two or three at once. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thankfully my smithi has lived up to its reputation as a gentle giant. Its hard to imagine one of these guys being defensive. I don't disbelieve it though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm a big fan of B. emilia's subdued color and very fashionable black rectangle. It's at the top of my want list!

Akai

Arachnobaron
for me it's whatever brachy i don't have and that's an auratum but i'm going to be ordering some tonight so i'll be craving another brachy for my collection. lol