Centruroides noxius

ety32

Arachnosquire
Tomorrow I'll be receiving serveral Centruroides Noxius and.... I need help....

I find no information about them on internet besides the fact they are extremely venomous.

They were born not so long ago. On the pictures they still seemed kinda white/grey.

Right now, they are eating the mother, therefore they won't have her to feed them.

How can I feed them and when kind of temperatures/humidity do they need? Hot and colder spot?

Do they need a basking spot, a cave or anything like that just like my lizards?

Also, will a 3 foot long by 1 foot large vivarium be enough for about 5-6 of them?

Thank you! :bruised:

journeys and scorpions

Arachnoknight
Hello :)

Info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1509840/

Centruroides are Bark Scorpions. But u can also take Stones in your Terra or Vivarium.
Younger Centruroides ( 2. Instar ) from Mexico i keep by 25° - 30°...i give water only one time in a week and before they molt. In higher Stadiums i keep them with a little bit more heat.

U also can look for the Weather in mexico. And so u can breed!

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Johnny .. This person obviously knows absolutely jack rabbit about scorpions, or that's maybe all part of the plan.....He's talking about young on the mothers back and has been told or has mistaken it for the young are eating the mother.....either that or the mother has died while the young are still on her back.
The OP's post smacks of troldom to me........Besides johnny...haven't you learnt yet...Newbie posters very rarely acknowledge any help they may receive!

ety32

Arachnosquire
....nah...really no troll intent here... My friend sent this by dhl as an early birthday gift... It got here within 2 days.... So....i had like no time to gather infos about them....especialy this kind of scorpions...i couldnt find much about them

Thank you

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

Andddd...the forum took 3 days to accept me...

ety32

Arachnosquire
So the mother is alive...and will not be eaten? The person who sent them to me said they were earing her but I guess she was just given wrong infos....or she just said that because this is what it looks like...

Should i get them a light bulb or is my ceramic bulb just fine?

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

So far there were about 4 scorplings that stood away from the mother a d they all seem to be dying...i tried to mash a cricket and leave it close to them but they didn't seem interested....i also brought them all a sponge with water close to them....no interest...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Johnny has all the right info, so really look over what he gave you :)

The mom won't die because if the scorplings eating her. They don't eat until they molt and get off her back anyway, and even then it would just be smaller invert prey (pinhead crickets or small lats).

Don't use a sponge, that'll just attract bacteria and cause more problems for your scorplings.

If they aren't second instar and don't get back on the mom, then I doubt there's anything you can do for them. Just hope they pull through. Good luck.

ety32

Arachnosquire
I brought a cricket close to the mom and she got startled, more babies fell off her back...should i simply let her do her stuff and thats it...?
so far she isn' t taking any food....

could the babies be dying because of a lack of heat ( or too much heat...but i dont think so...they are desertic..)i have a 60 watts ceramic bulb 2 foot above their head.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aaarrgh....it's one thing that animals die because we don't know better but when there's tons of written info across the net on the do's and don't s to scorpion rearing and they still die because we rely on someone telling us what to do rather than finding out ourselves, yeh, that's a tough situation to accept.
Don't get hung up on the specie name and think that only info pertaining to that one specie of scorpion is relevant...it's not!!
You've already been told they are bark scorpions plus you've been given an acceptable temperature range and moisture requirements.
That info is enough to get you started.
Search for info on other bark scorpions within the centruroides family and read about general bark scorpion care..especially of the young. That info is out there in bucketfuls.
Hopefully you will read that:
Young are usually whitish/grey when born (some have colour)
They migrate to the mothers back where they stay for anywhere between ca. 2 and 4 weeks.
While on the mothers back they will moult to 2nd instar.
Anywhere from a day or 2 to a week or so after they have moulted to 2nd instar they will come down from her back and start being independent.
Many species of young will hang around the mother for a few days more.
Once the young have left the mother and have become independent they can be rehoused/taken away from the mother.
During all this time the mother will rarely eat so feeding is unnecessary
Neither will the young eat until they have naturally left the mother.
The young when they are ready to feed, should be offered living prey that is at least half or one thirds their size.
Stress kills scorpions.
Scorpions become stressed amongst other things when we mess about with them, don't give them the right conditions, place their enclosures in places with human traffic/noise.
To feed scorps you place the prey item in the scorp enclosure in the evening. Tongs, pincers, tweezers are not necessary. If it's still there the next day you remove it and try some days later.

Finally.....Buy a thermometer for crying out loud and measure the temperature...a 60 watt ceramic bulb 2 foot up might be fine, it might not...depends on your ambient temps...measure it and find out. As i said, incorrect environmental factors will cause stress/death..depends on how far out they are.

And.......leave the mother and babies alone...like totally alone!...Get a comfortable warmth going on, make sure it's not to dry, find a quite shaded location for the enclosure and let them get on with it.
Any scorps that come of the mother while still 1st instar will in all probability die if they can't get back up. Placing them there yourself could do more harm than good to the mother and other babies. Every time you interfere with them is another stress moment you've placed them under...

ety32

Arachnosquire
!

Thanks a lot man! I'll keep giving infos as they grow! :biggrin:

---------- Post added 08-02-2014 at 07:50 PM ----------

Just some more info....the scorplings are already the mother's color. I have no idea when they were born...

---------- Post added 08-02-2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

They are all dying....the temp was almost 40°c and the mother was staying in the hottest spot still...

ety32

Arachnosquire
They all died besides the mom... :'( they went under too much stress i. The delivery and my lamp was giving too much heat.... I'll have learned from my mistakes the hard way...

ety32

Arachnosquire
And now...someone is telling me it might not be a centuroides noxiux, but either C. Suffusus or C. Ornatus... how do you make the difference...? They come from Chapala Lake, Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_C... at the end of the link and it will work....)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a tip: you really don't need to heat-lamp a scorpion. As long as your ambient room temperature is roughly 70 degrees or above, they will be fine. The smaller the invert, the faster they dehydrate (goes for T's, scorps, or anything else). Temperatures in the 80s is nice for inducing higher activity/ appetite/ growth rate.....but is not strictly necessary for keeping tropical inverts alive. The more important thing is not letting them overheat. Inverts generally have a much much higher tolerance for chilly weather than for very hot, dry weather--again, because of the threat of dehydrating.

It's better to err on the side of keeping most inverts cooler rather than too hot--they'll die much sooner of too much heat than of too little. For baby scorps you do not want to use focused, artificial heat sources like a heat lamp/ electric hotpad. Ambient temperature is enough. If YOU are comfortable without a sweater, then the inverts have what they need...even if they are from a searing desert. That goes for the majority of everything we keep in this hobby, except for high-altitude montane species like Megaphobema mesomelas, Poecilotheria rufilata, etc. Remember, even desert species retreat from the sun into cooler sand underground. A scorp in a heated enclosure can't burrow into cooler sand, because it isn't cooler. Plus, nearly all desert scorpions are mostly active at NIGHT, when it is cooler.

I'd suggest taking the heat lamp away from even the mother; she doesn't need it, and it makes molting riskier regarding premature hardening of the exoskeleton/ dehydration of the freshly molted animal.