A. genic breeding

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I have a male genic that molted into maturity last week. I have a female that hasn't molted in about a year, but is definitely old enough to breed. I really worry about the dude getting killed during mating, so I'm hesitant to mate them when she is due for a molt, and he might be killed during mating and then she molts before laying a sac. WWYD? Wait until she molts to pair them? He's already making sperm webs, and there's another genic female that he's promised to if he survives my Ethel.

Another complication is that I'm moving in two months. I don't want her to drop a sac and then I'm moving with a sac or with a billionty baby genics. He really picked a bad time to hit puberty!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i dsay wait till she molts. that way you know she takes. a mm can live years. granted the sooner she molts the better. if the guy is local your better off letting him use the guy. and if your female molts itl give her time to harden up and you to get him back.. as for him getting eaten.. thats all on you you should just watch him. if she is realy does concern you thats what id advise. but iv never bred myself.. i have however seen a super defensive female mate with no problem. she was a loose cannon at that. she wouldnt throw posses but would run halfway across the enclosure and bite at her keepers tongs durring spot cleaning. we was scared about a male and she let him do it like shed dont it a million times.. deed was so smooth we named the sack butter ball[pun intended]. so it realy depends on the girly

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've bred many tarantulas, and I can say this with 100% certainty: A human is not as fast as a tarantula. There is NO way to prevent a male from being munched during mating. It is not "all on you" in the least. The males I've put in with females all ran for the hills as soon as it was over, but they were lucky. If they were going to be dinner, I couldn't have prevented it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I've bred many tarantulas, and I can say this with 100% certainty: A human is not as fast as a tarantula. There is NO way to prevent a male from being munched during mating. It is not "all on you" in the least. The males I've put in with females all ran for the hills as soon as it was over, but they were lucky. If they were going to be dinner, I couldn't have prevented it.
your very right but i think you got my point but over thought it a little bit. i never said you can guarantee it. but being ready can increase your chances of safety.[again im no breeder so im going off reports and what iv seen/heard] but i do understand if she wants lunch shell have it.. but i still stand by the opinion of waiting till she molts. *shrug*

but was just my $0.02

edit: i probably should have worded my first response better tho my bad XD

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Put the male into a cool spot, and feed him less. Put the female into a hot spot about 85F, and feed her plenty. This will slow his metabolism, and keep him alive longer, and speed hers up and make her molt faster. I do this all the time with males and females.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I paired my 7" genic female up last summer and she had zero interest in mating. She shed early this year and grew to 8". I paired her up with the same male, and she was very responsive & passionate. Obviously hadn't hit puberty before. After the initial enthusiastic tapping, she became passive and trance-like. However, as soon as the male had finished the insertion, she did a bear hug and instantly sunk her fangs into his carapace. I couldn't pry her off.

If you pair her up now, a sac could be 3 or 6 months off, and she'll shed by then, so that's pointless. She may have no interest at all in mating, which is common with females that have an upcoming molt. She may also simply kill the male, with or without mating. So, I'd count on one shot with your male, don't squander it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
She's at least 8".

I'm going to go with catfishrod's advice. She can stay in the reptile/herp room which is kept around 85, and he can come hang out in my colder bedroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When i paired my genics, i was expecting her to be very aggressive to the male. So i put them into a neutral enclosure, and the female was actually very afraid of the male in there. He was able to get the job done several times with her just wanting to get away from him. Neutral enclosures sometimes work very well, and sometimes, depending on the individual female, nothing will work.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
When i paired my genics, i was expecting her to be very aggressive to the male. So i put them into a neutral enclosure, and the female was actually very afraid of the male in there. He was able to get the job done several times with her just wanting to get away from him. Neutral enclosures sometimes work very well, and sometimes, depending on the individual female, nothing will work.
I was thinking of doing that, as neither of their enclosures give him much room to flee if he gets a chance to.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep it works sometimes. But every once in a while you will have a female that the male just has no escape from. Women.....

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Yep it works sometimes. But every once in a while you will have a female that the male just has no escape from. Women.....
I know. We're pretty ******* scary sometimes. Like that chick that went all psycho over chicken nuggets. Who does that?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Everytime I read about "what could happen" I'm glad my A. sp. amazonica pairing went without an incident and well! Also, good luck if you try to pair them, Steph! Somehow I think the offspring will inherit the nasty temper of their mother though :D