Hydrophilic Pampho sp Ecuador II

Herpgrrl

Arachnopeon
Does anyone else have a Pampho that loves sitting in and/ or dangling it's feet in water? I noticed this behavior almost immediately after Death Star Gangster (Pam sp II) lost his chocolate brown coat and came into his budding purple splendor. At first I thought I was not getting him enough humidity and that's why he was hanging out in dish, so I contacted the seller/breeder and got more care advice. I have since moved him into a new enclosure, modified to retain max humidity and have good air flow, and he's always in one of two places: hide or "pool". It's pretty funny and cute, and have I pics ad nauseam of him hanging poolside. Lack of humidity has been completely ruled out and I'm thinking of buying him arm floaties and a larger water dish :laugh:

*First pic is of him in bottle cap water dish in first home
*Second is how he is when dipping his "feet" or I catch him about to jump in and he goes statute on me (kinda modest, this one)
*Third is how he is when no one is around to see him "change" into bathing suit and get comfy :sarcasm:

Attachments

netr

Arachnoknight
As it happens, something similar seems to be happening here. My two juvenile P. sp. 'Machala' moulted a few weeks ago. One seems to have lost some of the pink lustre and is looking noticeably brown - a sure sign of a female! This probable female now hangs very closely around her water dish, usually with one foot in or on it. She crouched in it recently too, when the water level was low. I haven't really seen her leave the spot!

Edit: Photographic evidence, for posterity.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I'd like to see my Pampho do something...
Put food in with it;) Their feeding response is simply ridiculous...lol. These creatures ALWAYS want food! My nigricolor is probably my favorite t.

I have seen mine a few times in the water dish, just like the op's pic.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine seems fond of keeping her foot on the water dish, never actually seen her drink and I know she's hydrated; I think it might be a pampho thing.