How to remove bolus without disrupting T?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Hello, yesterday I just received my P. canceridies sling (3/4") and after a few hours once it seemed to stop pacing around it's enclosure I fed it half a medium mealworm. At first I thought it was going to be easy since it was eating it out in the open, but once it was done, it would drag it in it's hide and then take it out again. The mealworm has been in there for a good 12 hours I believe and I'm thinking about removing it now, but I feel like the only way to do so is by disrupting the sling and I don't want to have to do that everytime I feed it. Is this normal for some people or is there a special way to do so?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use a 6" forceps with a curved end. I use it to precisely pick up water bowls, boluses, dead crickets, etc. Far less disruption than big clumsy fingers.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Anytime you get near the enclosure the T knows your there. You can't do cage maintenance without disturbing, it is a necessary evil. Just do it once a week and don't go all OCD, clean freak and your T will be fine.

Be gentle when grabbing bolus with tongs or you'll crush it to dust ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I tried looking for the bolus, but honestly couldn't find it. It was half a medium/small mealworm so it was pretty small. Don't really want to disrupt the T anymore so I'll check again next week. Would that cause any harm if I can't find it?

Also, unrelated question, since it's around .75", still considered a sling I'm guessing, how long will it take approx. for it to grow out of the sling phase?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I tried looking for the bolus, but honestly couldn't find it. It was half a medium/small mealworm so it was pretty small. Don't really want to disrupt the T anymore so I'll check again next week. Would that cause any harm if I can't find it?

Also, unrelated question, since it's around .75", still considered a sling I'm guessing, how long will it take approx. for it to grow out of the sling phase?
There is no official 'sling' phase. Eventually they get too big to call slings and you start calling them juveniles. No verdict by the rules committee on exactly when that happens. I consider mine juveniles at around 1 1/2 to 2".

gobey

Arachnoknight
I really want to know too... Just how bad is it to leave food bolus in the enclosures? My smaller L.P. straight up hides hers. And I don't want to tear apart her home finding them.

:I

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a 6" forceps with a curved end. I use it to precisely pick up water bowls, boluses, dead crickets, etc. Far less disruption than big clumsy fingers.
Not to mention it wouldn't be the greatest idea in the world to put your hands in with a Poecs enclosure.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm just a bit worried if it will mold or not. It was a small prey item so I don't know if it could have ate it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 07-30-2014 at 05:17 PM ----------

Also on an unrelated note, for a .75" sling should I keep it moist nearing it's molt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Keep the substrate dry with proper ventilation and you'll never have to worry about mold ;)

Your going to notice over time that when it comes to bolus, most species will put them in a certain spot in the enclosure for you. All you will need to do is pick it up, I do this when the T has its next meal in its mouth, they are less likely to attack you if they are busy eating.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really want to know too... Just how bad is it to leave food bolus in the enclosures? My smaller L.P. straight up hides hers. And I don't want to tear apart her home finding them.

:I
If you leave them in and water lands on them, you will get mold. THEN, you will get mold mites, and that's a PAIN IN THE REAR to deal with. Do not leave them in if you can prevent it.