Ageism

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
What is the best age to get my very first Tarantula ? What should be my determining factors ?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well how old are you now? I would say it would be a good idea to get a T if you are 5 but age isn't a crazy issue. I got my first T when I was 12, I am almost 15 and all my 13 of my T's are perfectly fine and well taken care of. If you get your first T, get something from the genus Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, or Grammostola, just to name a few.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
The pros to getting a younger T are that they're cheaper. As long as you do your research beforehand you should have no problem caring for a sling. My first was 3/4" and is doing fine. However if you are wanting a slow-growing species, I wouldn't hesitate to get a larger specimen, because they generally live longer anyway.
The cons to getting them as babies is that they require a smidge more attention & are slightly more fragile in their care requirements than their adult form (still, it's not difficult) Also, if gender is important to you, you'll have to buy a few slings or a mature T to ensure you get what you want.

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP is asking what age the tarantulas should be when obtained.

I'm not sure of the answer, as I've yet to get my first T. If you want a female, which is longer lived, you'll want one at least old enough to be sexed. My understanding is a sling cannot be sexed. If gender doesn't matter to you, it might be cool to watch the T grow from a sling.

Again, I don't yet have a T, so I do not speak from experience. But when I get one, I'm thinking right now I will get one old enough to make sure it's a female, but still young.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I think its objective. If you want to be save you better take a juvenile. There not so sensitive as slings. And you know the sex. But when you are well educated and when you have red enough books and stuff a sling is very cool to see grow up!! When you want a female take several slings! When you take 3 you have 85.7% chance that you have 1 male and 1 female. But again slings are a little bit harder to care for.

cold blood

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP is asking what age the tarantulas should be when obtained.
I thought the same as boillantefan...then when iemmaamme commented I thought he/she (?) didn't read the post. Then after 8legs posted I went back and re-read the post a few times from that perspective, and whaddaya know, it makes total sense from that angle as well....stupid English language...lol. Now I have no idea what the op means.:/

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
After reading how the others read it, it can go either way lol. We will have to wait for the OP haha.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I'll refrain from weighing in until we get some clarification. I can be wordy.