Molting

MissSary

Arachnopeon
My Avic Avic finally molted! She was halfway through last night and now is resting in her home. My question is, how long before I should the remove the molt? I know she takes about three days to harden, and her abdomen definitely looks like she will be hungry when she can bite again.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You don't *have* to remove the molt, I do though. If I can get to the molt without ripping into the web then I do as soon as it gets done so I can get it before the spider grabs it. The spider will push it out if it doesn't like it.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Okay, well I carefully removed it, and sad to say, but I can't get a proper sexing with it. I might take it to the local entomology professor in town and see what we can get. Or if I can, at least donate it.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some Avics are tough to sex by molts I have two and they both chew up there molts. The book lung area is always all shredded up. Frustrating I was thinking only my Avics did that

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This one is wadded up, as in stuck.
Soak it for several hours in several tablespoons of water with a drop of dish soap, then tease it open with a toothpick.

Unless it is a wee tiny sling, it will take longer than 3 days to harden up.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Btw, are avics harder to sex? Because there is a visible ridge between the first set of lungs in the molt, but not prominent.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Btw, are avics harder to sex? Because there is a visible ridge between the first set of lungs in the molt, but not prominent.
Try posting a picture in the sexing gallery. Unless there is blatant spermathacae/uterus externa I continue to call them 'its'. :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At 3", if you can get a good clear shot with your camera on macro setting, or even on zoom, others might be able to offer an educated guess as to sex. One thing that sometimes helps is back-lighting the molt with a flashlight. Put a paper towel over the flashlight lens so there isn't too much glare.
I keep a little kid's microscope at home. It's sufficient to sex most of my intact molts from spiders ~1.5" and up.

cold blood

Staff member
I keep a little kid's microscope at home. It's sufficient to sex most of my intact molts from spiders ~1.5" and up.
I wish I still had mine from childhood...Good reason to be on the lookout for a cheap microscope, I'm going to be curious many times in the future.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Soak it for several hours in several tablespoons of water with a drop of dish soap, then tease it open with a toothpick.

Unless it is a wee tiny sling, it will take longer than 3 days to harden up.
It only takes a couple minutes to hydrate a molt, no need to soak for hours

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It only takes a couple minutes to hydrate a molt, no need to soak for hours
If it's a relatively fresh molt, you only need a drop or two of water. A molt that has dried all scrunched up could take several hours of soaking to make it pliable enough to straighten out without shredding it.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
At 3 inches she'll probably take about 3 weeks to fully harden.
I'm not an expert by no means, in fact I have very limited experience with Ts; however, I have survived three molts. Two with a gigantor B. smithi (6+"), and one with an Aphonopelma hentzi. One of the hardest things to do is to wait for the fangs to harden enough for a feeding. Both smithi molts were followed by an aggressive feeding response on the 9th day. The Hentzi, who is still quite young, fed on the 7th day post molt. I can't see 3 weeks as even an option before attempted feeding. I would probably eat a cricket myself before waiting that long.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
I'm not an expert by no means, in fact I have very limited experience with Ts; however, I have survived three molts. Two with a gigantor B. smithi (6+"), and one with an Aphonopelma hentzi. One of the hardest things to do is to wait for the fangs to harden enough for a feeding. Both smithi molts were followed by an aggressive feeding response on the 9th day. The Hentzi, who is still quite young, fed on the 7th day post molt. I can't see 3 weeks as even an option before attempted feeding. I would probably eat a cricket myself before waiting that long.
I waited a full month before feeding my female P. platyomma after her last molt. Do what's best for your T, not what's entertaining/ exciting for you.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I waited a full month before feeding my female P. platyomma after her last molt. Do what's best for your T, not what's entertaining/ exciting for you.
I agree with what you say, however, I wonder, did you try a feeding prior to that monthlong wait? Or did it not show any interest in feeding; therefore, you had no choice?

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with what you say, however, I wonder, did you try a feeding prior to that monthlong wait? Or did it not show any interest in feeding; therefore, you had no choice?
I also wonder about this. As most of you know, LP's are little piggies, and mine showed an interest in eating only about 5 days after molting out of ~2 inches. I didn't feed her until a week after the molt to be safe, but I'm curious if the T has a way of "knowing" that its fangs are hard enough to feed successfully.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I also wonder about this. As most of you know, LP's are little piggies, and mine showed an interest in eating only about 5 days after molting out of ~2 inches. I didn't feed her until a week after the molt to be safe, but I'm curious if the T has a way of "knowing" that its fangs are hard enough to feed successfully.
Of course they do. They have to. These creatures have existed for a very long time, and on their own in the wild they have no choice. I can't help but think my two wild caught Aphonopelmas have an easier existence in my care, but in the wild they would not have me constantly worrying about their safety and well being. Ultimately they would be on their own. We as caregivers must try to trust their instincts and only be there when they need us, however, sometimes their needs are not the same as ours. They know what to do. The hardest part is letting them do it.