Are Expo Ts Cheaper?

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I'm looking forward to an upcoming Expo at the end of September. I have 4 Ts I want to order & I'm wondering if I should hold off until then or not (I'm impatient, lol)

An online dealer who's attending is taking orders to deliver to us locals, so I suppose I would only really be saving on shipping. How are the prices/selection on Ts and supplies at Expos? It'll be my first one, and I'll be attending regardless of whether or not I get them shipped beforehand.

Pros/Cons of Expo Ts & Supplies?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The prices aren't necessarily better, but you don't have to pay shipping. Prices are all over the map on spiders depending on who's selling and how bad they want to sell them.

The more spiders you buy at a time, the more negotiating leverage you have. Buy one or two, and don't expect the seller to work with you. Buy 10+, and you'll get their attention.

awiec

Arachnoprince
As Poec said it all depends on the person who is selling them. The expo I go to is a local once a month thing and thus draws local small scale breeders who would rather not have to care for 500+ slings so I find I can negotiate with them better. Of course you have to factor in the price they pay for the table and the entrance fee but I've been able to snatch up pretty decent deals there like a 2.5 inch GBB for $35. I'm guessing it's a male but I am satisfied with my purchase as people charge $40-50 for an itty bitty sling and GBB males are always in demand. You also get to select what specimen you want when you attend the show. If the seller is offering on site pick up then I'd say go for it and chances are they will bring other stuff to the show that might catch your eye.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies - this expo comes to town 2x a year. I guess it all boils down to the different vendors attending. Maybe I'll just pay the shipping to indulge my gotta-have-it-now list of Ts & go in with a more relaxed wish-list. I'm itching for a new snake as well, so I'm thinking that's where my wallet might take me :p

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the replies - this expo comes to town 2x a year. I guess it all boils down to the different vendors attending. Maybe I'll just pay the shipping to indulge my gotta-have-it-now list of Ts & go in with a more relaxed wish-list. I'm itching for a new snake as well, so I'm thinking that's where my wallet might take me :p
I see it as wait until the expo to pick up your Ts (you can still order them of course) and the savings from not having them shipped can go to something else like a new snake :p I've been trying to stay local as the money I save on shipping is worth the wait for me and I'm a poor college student so everything counts.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I see it as wait until the expo to pick up your Ts (you can still order them of course) and the savings from not having them shipped can go to something else like a new snake :p I've been trying to stay local as the money I save on shipping is worth the wait for me and I'm a poor college student so everything counts.
Perhaps you are right - delayed gratification has never been my strong suit haha. 2 months seems an awful long time when you want more Ts today!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Perhaps you are right - delayed gratification has never been my strong suit haha. 2 months seems an awful long time when you want more Ts today!
Good things come to those who wait; besides you can save up more money and have cages ready for when you get them. Nothing is more hectic then when you get new Ts and realize that you don't have a proper container for a few of them.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I've seen that the prices are about the same, but you will save by not having to pay for shipping. Normally you end up getting freebees by buying in bulk as well.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Prices are all over the place at shows, just shop around. I can guarantee you one thing, if you buy the T's you want now, you WILL come home with more after you go to the show.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Some vendors do deals. Tarantulacanada had lowered their price for some specimens at the show and had deals pay [x amount] get [y amount]. Also I avoided tax. Which is always nice.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I went to my first local expo last April. There was a huge amount of people selling T's, almost the same as people selling reptiles lol. The prices were great, at least 5 dollars less than online, and they were negotiable. I managed to negotiate 5 dollars off 3 out 4 of the things I bought. I ended up saving 15 dollars haha. Last time I had 80 dollars. Now this time around I will have *minimum* 200 dollars! This is gonna be fun....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I went to my first local expo last April. There was a huge amount of people selling T's, almost the same as people selling reptiles lol. The prices were great, at least 5 dollars less than online, and they were negotiable. I managed to negotiate 5 dollars off 3 out 4 of the things I bought. I ended up saving 15 dollars haha. Last time I had 80 dollars. Now this time around I will have *minimum* 200 dollars! This is gonna be fun....
+1. All prices are negotiable, especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The last expo I attended the prices were all over the map. Some were lower than I might find online while others were so exorbitantly overpriced I had to wonder if the vendors even checked the norms online. One thing I took away from my last expo even more than price though was to not take selection for granted. If you go with one particular T in mind, you may find yourself disappointed. They may not have the species you're looking for, or they'll have it, but it's not the sex or size you want. So if you can pre-order beforehand, I'd definitely do that.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At my expo, almost all were slings. There were some adult pumpkin patches, GBB, A. versicolor and a P. regalis. Other than that, all slings, which was fine with me :p. The most common sling there was G. pulchripes. My expo was great haha.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had pretty good luck at local expos. Like my 9" female T. Stirmi for $50! :biggrin: I usually get about $20-$50 off for getting multiple T's at once from the guy I've bought from. If I were you, I'd buy the ones you want now and then more at the show in a couple months! :happy:

JZC

Arachnobaron
I've had pretty good luck at local expos. Like my 9" female T. Stirmi for $50! :biggrin: I usually get about $20-$50 off for getting multiple T's at once from the guy I've bought from. If I were you, I'd buy the ones you want now and then more at the show in a couple months! :happy:
:eek:

Wha..how...do you mean..???

Lucky

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL I was one of the first people in the door and saw it at a table with a few other T. Stirmi and everyone was looking at the "giant spider" I saw it and immediately checked it out and asked how much it was and if they knew the sex. The kid asked another kid and they just said I think it's $50, my dad said that's a girl(it is indeed) so I eagerly got $50 out before anyone else took her and walked away extremely happy!

:eek:

Wha..how...do you mean..???

Lucky

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As someone who has been to small local shows (better prices) and large national shows, save your buying to the last day when the owners don't want to pack up all their stock for the drive home. You'll get even better prices.

Save your money for the shows there is no downside.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As someone who has been to small local shows (better prices) and large national shows, save your buying to the last day when the owners don't want to pack up all their stock for the drive home. You'll get even better prices.

Save your money for the shows there is no downside.
Yup, Ive noticed this also. The later it is on the last day of the show, the more dealers are willing to offer a discount.
Always remember, it doesn't hurt to ask for a discount, the worst they can say is, "No, I can't."
At that point you decide if it is worth what they are asking or go to different vendors to see what else is available.

Lastly, always remember that it cost people money for a table at the show. You don't want a vendor to lose money and/or not profit, because the next time the show comes around they might decide it is not worth it, and we lose a vendor/dealer at the show. Less competition most likely will equal higher prices at the end of the day.