By Tooth or by Hair- Old Worlds or New Worlds

Dracorex5

Arachnopeon
Tell me folks, which do you prefer? The colorful, wild, but dangerously bitey Old Worlds? Or the large, facinating, and "hair raising" New Worlds?

Me personally, I'd rather dodge fang over fire. I'm a tad frightened by those flying fiberglassish hair spikes! Plus, the Old Worlds are so beautiful, I'm a big fan of baboons and all the mean and beauty they have to offer.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am more of a new world person but I make exceptions to SOME OW T's. I would much rather deal with the hairs then medically significant venom. I only own 2 OW and that is because of their look and overall rumored disposition. I don't really have much of a reaction to hairs. I was messing with my GBB's most recent molt and I got a little itchy but not much.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Both. I could not choose if I tried. And I have tried and wound up realizing there are must have species from both groups. Like Biollantefan54, I find that there is almost endless NW species that I would love to have. Meanwhile, on the OW side, there are a few baboons I couldn't be without and some Aussies and Asian species I would like but would pass over if I couldn't find a good deal or could add a snake from my wish list instead.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exactly, I simply couldn't resist a M. balfouri and C. marshalli. OBT's are pretty but they are a tad to fast/defensive/potent. In my opinion, those outweigh the color haha.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Currently my favored Ts are NW as most of my OW are either laid back or shy; while a few of my NW attempt to throw their weight (haven't been haired as of yet) around and sometimes are a little bit of a challenge. Though my P.muticus lives up to the OW reputation, it's very fast and is not particularly intimidated by me, so it's always fun to see how it reacts. Of course all of my OW, except for my C.darlingi, are slings and juvies so I may see more boldness in my future. though I've noted that most of my NW species are more on the feisty side, so perhaps I will like OW better in the future when I get more with attitude.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I'm pretty balanced. Xenesthis, Pampho's, and Phormictopus make up most of my NW collection. But equally represented in my collection is my African Baboons, and Poecilotherias.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most of my collection is OW, I love the attitudes and lack of urticating hairs. I got my first tarantulas 40 years ago, and for many years NW's dominated the hobby. I'm still thrilled to see species in the hobby from places that seemed impossible before: Madagascar, Indonesia, Australia, India, Philippines, China, etc. A dream come true.

There are some NW's in my collection too, the criteria being that they're either large, colorful, or arboreal. If they're feisty, that's even better.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I prefer the NW tarantulas. No " orange bitey thing "for me. I agree that there are some beautiful OW's but I don't really need anything fast or that can be super defensive.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Remember not all Nws have uricating hairs and some wont hesitate to bite either.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I Like more new worlds than old words. I have almost exclusively NW T's with the exception of my C.marshalli (give me a break its like A drab unicorn spider :p) I love the NW colours and the non potent venom, Some itchy is better than a big potent pinchy. I find dwarf sp and avics are my top picks but eventually I might move up in OW latter, Marshal the Marshalli will determine that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Some itchy is better than a big potent pinchy.
In theory, not in reality. In over 40 years, I've never been bitten by any tarantula (and have many OW's) so venom hasn't entered into the equation. But I've been showered by hairs hundreds of times, the effects sometimes lasting days. Working with my OW's hasn't meant a bite or anything close to it, whereas working with my NW's means getting hit with hairs on almost every occasion.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes we've already established that...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Exactly, I simply couldn't resist a M. balfouri and C. marshalli. OBT's are pretty but they are a tad to fast/defensive/potent. In my opinion, those outweigh the color haha.
Yeah I try not to think about M. Balfouris yet….That could easily set me back a couple hundred in a lapse of self control. I will comment that I have found one characteristic in some NWs that I have not ever heard mentioned nor have experienced with OW…with on exception. This is the trait of boldness. A handful of my NWs will stand at center stage in their cup or vial and make no effort to hide. Some will calmly begin to leave their home when I open the lid and some will seemingly come to investigate the disturbance. The character that some of these exhibit really fascinates me. The one exception to this is my two OBT's. My older one is the one spider that is out 99% of the time and the one I always see perched on her web cloud when I go into the spider/snake/gun safe room to get ready every morning. The young one damn near took a cricket from my tongs one day and stays perched on her bark almost always. This interesting demeanor is what brought this species up towards the top of my current "favorites list." The only issue with them so far has been the running..lots of running whenever a rehouse or unpacking is done. GOOD LORD.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My Euathlus sp Red and Yellow ROCK!! Biollets sentiments are similar to my own. Though it's nice not having to worry about hairs with my OWs

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My Euathlus sp Red and Yellow ROCK!! Biollets sentiments are similar to my own. Though it's nice not having to worry about hairs with my OWs
My two Euathlus sp Red are growing up strong! Both are a menace on small crickets…no fear and no sporadic feeding. They attack every week!!!

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
As of now my humble collection of 26 is dominated by NW Ts, save for my lone obt which I recently acquired. Since I've had it I've been falling head over heels for this little hell spawn.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
As of now my humble collection of 26 is dominated by NW Ts, save for my lone obt which I recently acquired. Since I've had it I've been falling head over heels for this little hell spawn.
Me too! Dang OBTs got some charm to them….No matter how much they like to disregard your planning, they certainly are a great species to observe!