Restraint...How Do You Do It?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I, like most, if not all of you, have the 'gimme' attitude when I see a T I like. I'm not too sure how to deal with it properly when I have money I can use. A lack of money is the best thing in the world when it comes to seeing Ts.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see you have 3 now, after downsizing. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Half joking. I have a natural limit of about 50 tarantulas. I have a hard time being a good caretaker after that.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm a colossal penny pincher and feel guilty after spending any amount of money, that helps curb my buying urges XD

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I'm working on paying off my house, but having money to spend definitely makes it hard to say no when something rare comes along. My personal collection is about 40, but I'm raising roughly 180 T's right now. Space deficiencies help me to say no sometimes.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
My problem is that I have money and I'm making space, though not specifically for Ts, it can be used for them.

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I...don't. Hah! It's not limited to Ts, if I want something, and I can afford it without consequence, I see no problem in indulging. Some people spend their money on clothes, booze, drugs, instruments, video games...I suppose when I do reach limitations, ie space or financial priorities, then I would have to put whatever my compulsive little heart desires on the back burner.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I used my wallet and my roomspace to justify not getting any more. I also had a limited interested in species.

And then I explored the wonderful world of slings, how cheap they are, how little space they need, how cheap housing is for them, and the fact that you get one for free when buying one. And then my friend who raises Ts showed me a glimpse at an OW T. And suddenly after thinking I never wanted anything but fuzzy docile to semi docile NW terrestrial species, to really wanting to raise an H. Mac....

So I went from saying I had to stop at 4. Thinking having a Lasiodora Parahybana would quell my need for an impressive large display tarantula. Well that became 2 of those when I saw a deal.

So after already buying my first 2 Ts impulsively (G. Rosea, and A. Avic.) I had 4 Ts. 2 adults and 2 juveniles. 2 juveniles that were as big as my adult rose hair lol. I figured that had to be enough.

Except no it wasn't..... You see I didn't have a Brachypelma yet. And boy have I heard how B. Albipilosums were about the best "pet" tarantula you could get.

And there were some good deals on some juveniles. But I just gave away my little critter keeper to my girlfriend for her mouse. And I really can't be spending money and taking up space.

And then this happened to me.

I went out of curiosity to the classifieds here out of curiosity. And oh man that was asking for it. "Wait I could get a baby! A baby cost $6 instead of $15! What it comes with a freebie? Oh the freebie is some scary old world T with nasty venom. No thanks.
But this dealer is so nice he's giving me another curly hair free instead! I can't say no! So what my plan for 5 Ts turns into 6. My plan for 3 turned into 4. No biggie. They're half an inch.

Wait my buddy says he wants that old world T. He wants to try raising another one to breed. He says he'd be able to sell them at the pet store. He's crazy because nobody has bought the OBT they have had there for more than a year. But he says it's too good of an offer not to get that sling for such a low price. What is this T even? Togo Starburst Baboon. OH MAN THAT THING IS GORGEOUS! I WANT ONE!

Good he says. He's going to teach me how to raise it and care for it, whether it's male or female I'll keep it, condition is it lives with him or at the store until I'm comfortable enough to have it alone, and if it's male I have to lend it out when it matures for him to attempt a mate."

So yeah

My plan to get 1 baby curly hair to get my 5th T continuing my old world terrestrial collection slowly, turned into getting 3 more Ts totaling 7 and getting into a tutorial on raising an African T.

I don't know how you guys do it.

I figure 10. I'll try to just always have about 10. And not care anymore about male or female. If it dies I'll be sad but see it as opportunity to explore keeping a new species instead. Male tarantulas need love too right?

So 1 MF G. Rosea. 1. Adult unsexed A. Avic. 2. Unsexed Juvenile Lasiodora Parahybanas. And now 2 B. Albipilosum Slings. And 1 H. Mac sling.

Lots of research done. Reading TKG again too.

They come tomorrow!!!!

I already know what one I want next.... B. Emilia :D

Last edited:

Ashton

Arachnoknight
There aren't too many I'm interested in. The one's I'm looking at are M. balfouri if I can get ahold of one, P. regalis, N. chromatus or an E. murinus. And if someone chooses to look at the collection I have listed and suggests I get something not as difficult as the balfouri or regalis, all I have to say is: I'm pretty sure I'm ready and rather cautious around the 'hot' Ts. Space will be a problem eventually because I prefer my Ts have a lot of space. My G. rosea is in a 15 gallon, I had an A. metallica in a 10 gallon at about 3 1/2 inches. I have a 40 gallon that I'd use for an LP or something else like a large arboreal if I find one that big.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I don't even try if I'm being honest. The only time I don't buy tarantulas is when I'd dead broke and even then, I window shop like crazy so...the addiction runs strong in me.

gobey

Arachnoknight
You could try poverty, works for me XD
Dollar store, Wal-Mart, and slings are loopholes around that....

You build your own tarantula homes.... out of Tupperware! And Wal-Mart bins! :D

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Define what it is you truly enjoy about Tarantulas as a whole. Then target what specific behaviors you enjoy watching. Then purchase only the specimens that highlight these things and be done, focusing on maximizing the health and longevity of the few.

Understand that, although subtle behaviors change animal to animal, there are certain species that show very specific strong behaviors that will highlight what you like.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feel like at this point I'm just dancing around at the top of a cliff. I've gotten up to three Ts (GBB,LP, and P. muticus), but the reason for not going more is that I'm in a dorm and need to keep them to low amounts of space, as well as keeping them on the down low. That plus I have no access to pet supplies while at school except for very infrequently bumming car rides off of friends. I think once I get a car and more space, I'm over the cliff for sure...

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
A lack of money/priorities is why I haven't gotten any more Ts yet but I have my eye on strimi, pulchra, and a few others definitely want a female strimi.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Restraint isn't a problem for me; I have 600 T's. I can quit anytime I want...

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I have a lot of hobbies and indulge in them very strongly for a few months, then I switch to another and so on. Right know I'm in my freediving phase which luckily is cash upfront and no need to own every single thing (unlike this one lol) so now I have all the dive gear I'll ever need (except for suits cause im growing mask because they keeping getting cooler :p). reptiles, aqauriums and arachnids are all my living thing related hobbies (excluding hunting and fishing). By spreading my self over about 6 hobbies (so far) I can manage the tarantula problem because I ordered a few from every food group ;) large NW, arboreal/colourful (A.versicolor to birds one stone), Brachypelma, aggressive OW and a few dwarfs (small money, small enclosures). By doing this I'm able to painfully resist adding anything new to the collection. so more hobbies and have a large variety with a small number seem to be effective.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, i am past this shopping now where i buy spontainiously, i buy what i need now. Money is not an issue, i am financially well off, i do it because i love them. But time tells me it is good if i can limit my collection to around 100 T´s. There is offspring also sometimes and that gets me to a very different number on T´s ;-)