Help me decide which species to pick up at the next expo!?

Mavet

Arachnopeon
So, I've been eyeballing certain species (groups of species) to pick up at the next expo in September, but I'd love some input! I'm picking up a bunch of species, and though these are ultimately specimens that will end up as my pets, they will first be contributing to a study I'm doing this coming year, so I really don't need more than one species of any particular genus - rather, I would prefer to obtain species from different genera in order to have a more diverse sample group.

If you click on my profile you can see what I already have, but I'm looking to get an Ephebopus species (I'm deciding between murinus and cyanognathus), an Acanthoscurria geniculata, Aguacephalus (probably ezendami, but could be junodi), Chilobrachys fimbriatus, Haplopelma lividum, Harpactira (either curator, curvipes, or dictator), Lampropelma violaceopes, Tapinauchenius (cupreus or violaceus), and Thrixopelma (cyaneolum or ockerti).

If anyone can offer any insight into which species they prefer and why, within the genera I'm choosing, I'd be especially grateful! I'd really appreciate any info relating particularly to genus Ephebopus and Harpactira, but any help with picking a Tapinauchenius or Thrixopelma species would also be awesome! I'm interested in anything you all can tell me, including if species differ in size, temperament, sexual dimorphism, etc. Or if there's anything I haven't thought of that you think I should know/want to include.

Thanks all!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may be better suited to Tarantula Chat, but when it comes to choosing a T, it's a bit of both to be honest.
Love the oatmeal signature though.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well I'm curious as to what you are studying because T.ockeri and T.cyaneolum have different habits, the former is an arboreal and the latter is a terrestrial so it might be worth getting both. I have the latter and she is a very gentle girl until it's feeding time but she mostly likes to stay under her cork bark. Though from what I can tell ockeri might be easier to find but I think both can be kept similar to each other. I keep my Thrix with a water bowl that I will overflow and she seems content and I think T.ockeri can be kept like this as well with lots of good ventilation. As for Taps I personally have a T.gigas but I think violaceus or plumipes are both stunners if orange is not your thing, this genus does like having dirt to use in hide construction and I keep them a little more moist than an avic but still good ventilation. As for Ephebopus I have murinus as they are pretty easy to find and show the striped legs at a very early instar. I provide 4 inches of sturdy sub (peat moss) for mine when I got it at 1 inch along with some sphagnum moss to hold some moisture without having to constantly wet the dirt. Since these guys like it more "swampy" I will sprinkle water on the sub when it starts to get dry and I have spring-tails to keep things clean so I don't have to worry about mites and mold so much. I keep mine in a krittter keeper but some people keep them in cages where they cover half of the slats with plastic to keep humidity up, mine seems to do fine so I don't do that.

I've seen a few harpactira but I think the ones I've come across were guttata and marksi so I can't help you there.

As for why I choose I like to pick some thing that is different from the recent spiders I bought generally. I had an A.versicolor for a while so I decided that I wanted to grab a G.pulchripes as it was a big chunky terrestrial and the T.gigas was an impulse buy while I was at the show. I do not regret getting the Tap as it's one of my favorite spiders and is not particularly hard to care for but you do have to respect their speed; I provide mine with a larger container so it does not feel cornered while I do maintenance. I usually also take into account if I can care for it, I have no desire for an OBT because I already have a P.muticus that will grow into a defensive behemoth, having a faster one will not make it fun for me anymore. Looks are somewhat important to me as well since I'm going to be stuck with the T for at least 10 years if it is a female but I have been won over by quirky personalities as well.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So, I've been eyeballing certain species (groups of species) to pick up at the next expo in September, but I'd love some input! I'm picking up a bunch of species, and though these are ultimately specimens that will end up as my pets, they will first be contributing to a study I'm doing this coming year, so I really don't need more than one species of any particular genus - rather, I would prefer to obtain species from different genera in order to have a more diverse sample group.

If you click on my profile you can see what I already have, but I'm looking to get an Ephebopus species (I'm deciding between murinus and cyanognathus), an Acanthoscurria geniculata, Aguacephalus (probably ezendami, but could be junodi), Chilobrachys fimbriatus, Haplopelma lividum, Harpactira (either curator, curvipes, or dictator), Lampropelma violaceopes, Tapinauchenius (cupreus or violaceus), and Thrixopelma (cyaneolum or ockerti).

If anyone can offer any insight into which species they prefer and why, within the genera I'm choosing, I'd be especially grateful! I'd really appreciate any info relating particularly to genus Ephebopus and Harpactira, but any help with picking a Tapinauchenius or Thrixopelma species would also be awesome! I'm interested in anything you all can tell me, including if species differ in size, temperament, sexual dimorphism, etc. Or if there's anything I haven't thought of that you think I should know/want to include.

Thanks all!
All I'm going to say is BAM!!!!:

A. geniculata you HAVE to get at least 1!

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Go for the E.murinus, Lovely pet hole, lightning speed (for a new world T) and great colours as a sling but unlike the blue fang its looks even nicer when its bigger!

Mavet

Arachnopeon
Well I'm curious as to what you are studying because T.ockeri and T.cyaneolum have different habits, the former is an arboreal and the latter is a terrestrial so it might be worth getting both. I have the latter and she is a very gentle girl until it's feeding time but she mostly likes to stay under her cork bark. Though from what I can tell ockeri might be easier to find but I think both can be kept similar to each other. I keep my Thrix with a water bowl that I will overflow and she seems content and I think T.ockeri can be kept like this as well with lots of good ventilation. As for Taps I personally have a T.gigas but I think violaceus or plumipes are both stunners if orange is not your thing, this genus does like having dirt to use in hide construction and I keep them a little more moist than an avic but still good ventilation. As for Ephebopus I have murinus as they are pretty easy to find and show the striped legs at a very early instar. I provide 4 inches of sturdy sub (peat moss) for mine when I got it at 1 inch along with some sphagnum moss to hold some moisture without having to constantly wet the dirt. Since these guys like it more "swampy" I will sprinkle water on the sub when it starts to get dry and I have spring-tails to keep things clean so I don't have to worry about mites and mold so much. I keep mine in a krittter keeper but some people keep them in cages where they cover half of the slats with plastic to keep humidity up, mine seems to do fine so I don't do that.
Thanks awiec! Nice to know about the differences between Thrixopelma species - my study is examining arachnid genetics, so differences in lifestyle shouldn't have much to do with what we're looking at, rather I wanted to get a good sampling from a variety of tarantula genera instead of sampling a whole bunch of easy-to-get stuff like Brachypelma and Grammostola species etc. I am leaning towards the cyaneolum over the ockerti, as I think they're beautiful though they are a bit more pricey! The Taps are particularly interesting to me (as are any new-world genera that lack urticating setae) because I'm interested to know how many times urticating setae evolved, as well as how many separate diasporas into the americas tarantulas had when they migrated over. I know that many people consider them the fastest tarantula genus, so that will be interesting to see - I'll keep the larger enclosure in mind as it sounds like a good idea! I've seen some lovely pics of T. gigas, but I have to admit I'm rather enamoured of the metallic purple sheen of the violaceus! With the Ephebopus, I was initially attracted to the murinus, but I think the juvie stages of the blue fang distracted me with their shiny green beauty. I really like the look of the murinus as an adult though! (I've also started using spring tails and they've so far been a lifesaver!)

---------- Post added 07-31-2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

All I'm going to say is BAM!!!!:

A. geniculata you HAVE to get at least 1!
Haha! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to finally picking up a genic! A friend of mine has a ~6.5" female who is stunningly beautiful, so no arguments there - I'm totally grabbing some of that!

---------- Post added 07-31-2014 at 10:25 PM ----------

Go for the E.murinus, Lovely pet hole, lightning speed (for a new world T) and great colours as a sling but unlike the blue fang its looks even nicer when its bigger!
Thanks, that's actually a good point - I like the look of the murinus as an adult better than the blue fang, I think I was just a bit distracted by the lovely colours the blue fangs have as slings. Also the murinus is a tad bit less expensive so - WIN!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well if genetics is your thing then I'd suggest making sure you have some advice to compare to the tap. I feel that psalmos and pokies were close on the tree at one time as the lack of hairs, stripes on the legs and speed and temper similarities are interesting to me. Also why not pick up a c.darlingi and s.hoffmani as both have horns but are ow and nw .I would be more helpful but I'm on a tablet

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's a scientific paper out which if I recall demonstrated that Psalmos aren't as closely related to Pokis as we might think.

I've owned Blue Fangs and Lvs. I love them for different reasons. If you end up with a female Lv you'll have one large gorgeous T, very very fast growth rate too. Blue fangs are just wild looking and far superior IMO to murinus. I'd rather have more color in a T.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I have both E. Murinus and Cyanognathus, the blue fang has beautiful coloration, even from a very small sling. mine just molted yesterday into almost a magenta looking color, I haven't gotten the greatest look at it, it comes out late at night. As an adult, I already know I'll be partial to the Murinus, those skeleton legs are just awesome.

Currently, my LV is my favorite T. When it hits, it massacres, and seeing it waiting with 4 blue legs sticking out of its burrow is wicked.

Regarding Ephebopus- I can say without a doubt, my two Ephebopus' have adapted to their new enclosures the quickest out of any of my T's. Within an hour they had both built burrows, and within a day the burrows were very elaborate and even had a second entrance for the E. Murinus on the other side of the enclosure. Both of them were hunting within 2 days. Most of my T's have a "sulking" period when they get rehoused, even my LV, where it cowers in a corner all sad and depressed before building a burrow and disappearing for months. The Ephebopus are the only species that adapted almost instantaneously.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have both E. Murinus and Cyanognathus, the blue fang has beautiful coloration, even from a very small sling. mine just molted yesterday into almost a magenta looking color, I haven't gotten the greatest look at it, it comes out late at night. As an adult, I already know I'll be partial to the Murinus, those skeleton legs are just awesome.

Currently, my LV is my favorite T. When it hits, it massacres, and seeing it waiting with 4 blue legs sticking out of its burrow is wicked.

Regarding Ephebopus- I can say without a doubt, my two Ephebopus' have adapted to their new enclosures the quickest out of any of my T's. Within an hour they had both built burrows, and within a day the burrows were very elaborate and even had a second entrance for the E. Murinus on the other side of the enclosure. Both of them were hunting within 2 days. Most of my T's have a "sulking" period when they get rehoused, even my LV, where it cowers in a corner all sad and depressed before building a burrow and disappearing for months. The Ephebopus are the only species that adapted almost instantaneously.
My e.murinus adapted quite fast as well, my baboons are the only ones that adapted as fast. My pokies usually act all sad for a week or two but not the murinus, it had a 4 inch tunnel and webbing everywhere within 2 days