Sling question

twbillings

Arachnopeon
I want to start by saying thank you to this community. I've been reading through post after post of people helping and sharing on every level of the hobby. I have never been an avid collector but I have had 4 Ts. My first two recently passed. My other two are quite happy a. Avics. I've settled down enough now to where I wanted to branch out. I made a wish list on a site that came highly recommended and was going to research. I do own The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Anyway, my wife bought me most of the wish list for my birthday... I got them all today. I put them in the enclosures I had for slings (they are al very small) that I had ordered some time ago from Jamie's. I got an A. Urticans, B. Albopilosum, B. Vagans, L. Parahybana, Red g. Rosea, and P. Murinus (obt). I am aware of all of these species special requirements, behaviors, and dangers (looking at you obt). My questions pertain to general sling keeping. I have access to my own dubia colony. I have crickets as well. My a. Urticans and b. Albo ate a small cricket tonight. I'm going to try a super small cricket for my obt and rosea sling. My lp is so small (1/2 inch ) I was thinking flightless fruit flies but never fed them. I'm sure someone has experience thru would be willing to share. My lp instantly hid in a piece of cork bark. How often does everyone mist? I came home to see my a. Urticans having left a cricket webbed to the side of the enclosure. What is the deal with that? Any other advice etc is appreciated!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Feed your small slings roach or cricket parts that are about the size of the tarantula's abdomen.
I never mist my slings, instead I give a few drops of water on the sub and wall for drinking and humidity, twice a week.

twbillings

Arachnopeon
Parts? They'll eat pieces that are dead/inanimate? Sorry, I'm new to sling and want to do my best.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try some pin heads, the smallest you can find in your colony. You can also wound a larger 2 week old or so cricket, so it is easy for the sling to handle. If that doesn't work chopped pieces work well. Yes they will eat chopped up can cricket, should be freshly chopped, and remove any leftover pieces after a few hours.

cold blood

Staff member
What about the webbed cricket on the side of my enclosure?
If its still there in the am, remove it, but it will probably get eaten tonight at some point.

Slings are excellent scavengers, some slings seem to prefer it.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Just my two cents to add: I really wouldn't put an OBT sling in one of Jamie's sling enclosures. Those things are so little, awkward and the way they close...I mean they're neat and all, I have a few myself but my NW slings freak out a little when I open/close and they grow out of them so fast-putting an OW sling in one just seems to be asking for trouble, to me. I think you'd do a lot better with a deli cup, maybe with a screw-on lid.

twbillings

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. While I admit, I prob could have done more research, I believe I would still be here asking questions. I have loved hearing all the experiences of this boards members. It has made me a better keeper. I really would not have gotten an obt, I am fascinated by it. All OWs actually. I would appreciate advice, my wife is sweet but she skipped over the b. Smithi to get this obt. I am both scared and in awe of it. These are wonderful and magnificent creatures, preaching to the choir I know, please forgive my questions of they offend. How long should I leave cricket parts in my slings enclosures? I use bottled water for misting my a. Avics. I am very attached to both my adults. I've had these slings a few hours and they already baffle me. I just feed a week old to my second smallest sling (obt) and one that hatched this morning to my lp. I'm curious to hear about flightless fruit flies if anyone has used them.

---------- Post added 07-31-2014 at 05:20 AM ----------

Belle, I do have the obt in a screw on. I have a 6 and 9 year old that both handle and feed my Ts. The obt is off limits and is in the most secure enclosure I could produce.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's my suggestion for the feeding, but take it with a grain of salt as my experience isn't as extensive as Belle's or skippy's. I've often seen slings(my own and in feeding vids) be much more bold in their prey choices, and seem to have no qualms about tackling crickets nearly their size. With the LP especially, You probably don't need to be quite as fearful for their sake when it comes to prey size. You can probably use cricket parts and not worry about the hassle of flies, as once they outgrow cricket drumsticks, they'll be able to handle pinheads or baby roaches.

twbillings

Arachnopeon
My goal is roaches. I have tons, not as varied as my bearded. That being said, I'm not against other sources, dubias have just done fine thus far. I've never had slings. I just am Interested in everyone's opinions and experiences .

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I have a ton of LP slings that are 1/3-1/2" right now. I feed them mealworms. Cut off the head and throw it away, then chop it in half and just leave it in the little cup (it shouldn't be housed in anything bigger than maybe a 4oz cup when they are that small- I use 2oz cups). I spray a small portion of the cup once a week until it dries out, no more than that.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm curious to hear about flightless fruit flies if anyone has used them.

---------- Post added 07-31-2014 at 05:20 AM ----------

They are a mess!! as soon as you take off the top of the container the little bastards start coming out of the container. Some people place the fruit flies in the freezer to slow them down, but they are more of a hassle than using pinheads.

twbillings

Arachnopeon
Well then... I'm not going to use those. My little lp did eat a cricket that only began it's life hours prior it seemed. I did leave parts of small crickets in other enclosures. I might switch my obt to a deli cup. I do really like the enclosures, but they are hard to open.

cold blood

Staff member
FFF don't provide enough nutrition and should really only be used as a supplement and no more than 50% of its food intake. They are deficient in amino acids, specifically linoleic acid, which can cause molting issues or curled legs.

twbillings

Arachnopeon
I have settled on cricket parts and meal worms. Will meal worms munch on Ts like crickets might?

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I have settled on cricket parts and meal worms. Will meal worms munch on Ts like crickets might?
i use a lot of mealworms and ive never seeing them do it. But for slings i would cut the head of from the worms, than you are safe.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
One of the members here recommended sewing scissors to cut crickets up neatly. I got some decent sharp ones and it has been much easier. I do not feed wounded crickets cause it seems a bit rough on the bug to beat him up before I offer him up for slaughter. I will crush the cricket head and then cut them up for tiny slings. My 1/4" Hapalopus sp Colombia Large and A. Geniculata are responding well to the halves left int he vial overnight. I have walked in on all four perched on top of the cricket and eating happily. Now their butts are fat. Anyway, I take any leftovers out in the morning even if it is the whole meal. If they do not eat, I look for other signs of pre molt and possibly offer another meal a few days later.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
If you can find a FFF feeder like this one, the task is much simpler. I have some tiny slings, 1/4" or smaller, and I like to use a variety of food including FFF, cricket parts,and superworm pieces.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I'm very new to keeping slings also(only 5 weeks). They are all between 1/4'' and 1/2''. I have had good success with feeding them small mealworm pieces, a decent sized mealworm cut in 4 is enough. I cut off the heads as a pre-caution. I don't mist, instead I just drop water on one side of the enclosure every 3 days, rotating between each of the four sides. This allows the damp part of the substrate to dry out before being watered again and helps to prevent mould. It seems to work fine and all the slings seem happy. Touch Wood!!

cold blood

Staff member
I'm very new to keeping slings also(only 5 weeks). They are all between 1/4'' and 1/2''. I have had good success with feeding them small mealworm pieces, a decent sized mealworm cut in 4 is enough. I cut off the heads as a pre-caution. I don't mist, instead I just drop water on one side of the enclosure every 3 days, rotating between each of the four sides. This allows the damp part of the substrate to dry out before being watered again and helps to prevent mould. It seems to work fine and all the slings seem happy. Touch Wood!!
Well done, good to see you did the proper research before you got them. :)

I keep my slings exactly the same, but I pre-kill crickets generally, but worms work great and probably provide a more significant meal.