Found a Phidippus phoenix that I released two months ago!

NoahThomas43

Arachnosquire
About two months ago, I found this Phidippus phoenix in my backyard. It was the first one I have ever seen (found johnsoni before), but it was quite small so I released it. My brother, a couple days ago, stumbled across a curled leaf with a web sac in it. We opened it up and to our surprise it was the Phidippus phoenix we released long ago, but it was bigger since it molted once within in its websac. Now, it already molted again but this time in our care.
GEDC0450.jpg
GEDC0451.jpg
GEDC0452.jpg
GEDC0506.jpg

Attachments

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Wait til it's fully grown. This is a species that also occurs in my area, but i have trouble finding them.

Mature specimens resemble P. adumbratus, both species being very striking.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I love jumping spiders. They are what sparked my interest in Arachnids as a child. I think they are mesmerizing. :alien:

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a great looking jumper. I'd love to have a pair of those on my collection.

NoahThomas43

Arachnosquire
Yeah. she is quite colorful!

---------- Post added 07-31-2014 at 07:27 PM ----------

Yeah, she is vibrantly colored.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
A neat thing about this genus, is they follow the same routine every day. Whenever they find a spot that results in a successful hunt, they will return to the same exact spot every day at the same time, on the same branch.

I used to spend hours in my backyard just sitting and watching a particular female start the day by sunning herself at the base of a rosebush, then she'd move to the top of the bush, then she'd walk along the top of the brick wall, then perch on the same exact bine of my big ornamental asparagus to snatch crane flies. She repeated the same routine exactly the same every day without fail. It's amazing how lizard-like these spiders are in behavior.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A neat thing about this genus, is they follow the same routine every day. Whenever they find a spot that results in a successful hunt, they will return to the same exact spot every day at the same time, on the same branch.
That's actually very cool to know. I had not read that before. Thanks!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
That's actually very cool to know. I had not read that before. Thanks!
I'm probably one of the first people to actually write anything about this. Another thing i've noted, is this genus has a much longer field of vision than any literature states, as i've noted many will see me and hide from more than ten feet away. Most sources state they cant see further than two feet, but that's obviously wrong, and probably because the studies were done in artificial lighting, in the absence of UV or other wavelengths of light..

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm probably one of the first people to actually write anything about this. Another thing i've noted, is this genus has a much longer field of vision than any literature states, as i've noted many will see me and hide from more than ten feet away. Most sources state they cant see further than two feet, but that's obviously wrong, and probably because the studies were done in artificial lighting, in the absence of UV or other wavelengths of light..
That's actually really cool. Jumpers are really fascinating spiders. I've studied their vision in the past.