Real latin name for Singapore Blue?

ubaied93

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, which one is the real latin name for singapore blue? Lampropelma Violaceopis or Cyriopagopus sp blue?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't know for certain, but my understanding is that it was initially called Cyriopagopus sp. Blue, and was later decided to actually be Lampropelma violaceopes. I'm not aware of any blue Cyriopagopus in the hobby.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
http://youtu.be/jjgHrfZ8RCM

Then what about this episode of jon mythbuster?
The date of this video should put this in perspective. It's from 2011 and tarantula taxonomy changes all the time-species get moved from genus to genus or their species name is changed to an older one.
It should also be noted that the hobby e-celebs are not the final word on Ts-they are hobbyists, just like the rest of us, just a bit more willing to put themselves out there.

The impression I'm getting from the bit of Googling I just did is that L.violaceopes were once known as Cyriopagopus sp.blue. Not an uncommon occurrence. I could be wrong, but that's the gist I got.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The spider we today call Lampropelma violaceopes, we use to call Cyriopagopus sp. Blue. Its the same spider. The problem was, in the hobby we were already calling a spider Lampropelma violaceopes. That spider is now referred to as Haplopelma robustum, or Ornithoctoninae G. sp. "Malaysian Blue Femur". I would expect some of these names to change again one day as well.

Later, Tom