Searching for local Texas snails

kic90army

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. I'm a lurker here but I thought this would be the perfect place to get some suggestions. I live in Austin Texas and I've been trying to find snails to feed to my skinks. Ive heard that the rosey land snail can be found locally as well as other types. Does anyone have suggestions on where or how to find snails? I had thought a nice wooded hike near a water way would lead me to them but it didn't.

Akai

Arachnobaron
I see them all the time in the morning bro in my backyard. I live in ATX too. When it gets hot though you're not going to find them so your best bet is in the morning. I have a compost pile in my backyard they like to raid for breakfast but other then that and after a good rain is when I see them. Coincidently there is rain in the forecast for today so good luck.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in the Austin area too and Akai's reply is prob the best you're going to get. I have noticed that the larger garden snails(Helix) are a lot more common in east Austin where there is more dirt. But I do see them at my house some years(Cedar Park area). In east Austin, sometimes 20+ helix snails are stuck to the shadier parts of houses. I've gone to houses for sale and pulled a few off before. Some years there are a lot of snails around and other years not so many.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Let the local constabulary get word you are desperately looking for snails and your worries will be over as the sedatives kick in.

kic90army

Arachnopeon
Thanks y'all for the help. I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and go check some trails along bull creek and at St edwards park to see if I have any luck.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 01:34 PM ----------

Alokin I have a pair of blue tongue skinks who absolutely love snails

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Shoulderbands can be found on hillsides amongst scrub and chaparral habitat, though you may have difficulty finding live specimens..

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kic90army,

What is the skink eating in the first pic?
Is it the same skink in both pics?

Do you always serve your reptiles on fine porcelin? LOL

Skinks are very cool, and get pretty large.

kic90army

Arachnopeon
First picture is a mix of natural wet dogfood, chicken hearts, greens, veggies, and egg. 2nd picture is just egg. And no its not the same skink. First picture is my boy Romeo and 2nd is Juliet they're my merauke mating pair.
And yes haha these two do eat on these plates every time. Theyre so messy it's easiest to feed them outside their enclosure.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
First picture is a mix of natural wet dogfood, chicken hearts, greens, veggies, and egg. 2nd picture is just egg. And no its not the same skink. First picture is my boy Romeo and 2nd is Juliet they're my merauke mating pair.
And yes haha these two do eat on these plates every time. Theyre so messy it's easiest to feed them outside their enclosure.
Messy to the MAX! My other and I were sitting in an open air restaurant the other day when she got sprayed with yuck. Looking around, a skink was raiding the offerings at a spirit shrine about 3 feet away, taking a bite of boiled egg and giving it a shake, spraying the entire area.
I hope Romo and Jolie produce lots of kids.

Spidergrrl

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. I'm a lurker here but I thought this would be the perfect place to get some suggestions. I live in Austin Texas and I've been trying to find snails to feed to my skinks. Ive heard that the rosey land snail can be found locally as well as other types. Does anyone have suggestions on where or how to find snails? I had thought a nice wooded hike near a water way would lead me to them but it didn't.
I'm in east Austin and see them occasionally in the garden. Not enough to warrant a trip. Do they need to specifically be terrestrial snails? I'd think you could find plenty at the bottom of Barton Springs. Barton Springs might be cleaner than other sources, I'd worry about pesticides.

If aquatic snails suffice, you could always get an aquarium and grow your own.

Spidegrrl