Strangest thing rose hair showing premolt colors but eating?

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
Winter.jpg You can obviously see the black blue abdomen but shes eating a super worm right now

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I have had plenty of pre-molt tarantulas eat, some the day beforehand. That said, if you believe her to be close to a molt, why would you feed her in the first place?

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
I didn't feed her a super worm dug into the substrate a long time ago and I couldn't get it out and she found it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That tarantula is not in premolt, that area of the abdomen is always a little dark, especially in older individuals. When it darkens, it will be almost black.

cold blood

Staff member
That tarantula is not in premolt, that area of the abdomen is always a little dark, especially in older individuals. When it darkens, it will be almost black.

+1 The rest of the rump, the carapace, and even the legs are really nice and bright still as well. That will all dull when a new exo is forming.

I have an old one like yours, it looks like yours, in fact the black area is larger on mine...mine is about 3 years from its next molt.

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
See i don't think that's true even if it were it wouldn't progressively get bigger and bigger over the course of a week. That was maybe a smudge barely visible a week ago exactly. So I'm assuming its pre-molt. Some Ts do eat before molting i did some research. And I showed Jon3800 he said its defiantly pre molt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
very possible even infact my gbb's have taken a roach 5 days before a molt then the night before [yes 2 in a week] as well as my boehmei is super heavy premolt. big shiny rump and just ate..genic actually did it last molt too. the way her cage is positioned no nateral light hits it so never knew. fed her a nymph. went to change out the water and etc the next morning and i walk up to a exo just sitting there o.0

gl with her molt :D

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
See i don't think that's true even if it were it wouldn't progressively get bigger and bigger over the course of a week. That was maybe a smudge barely visible a week ago exactly. So I'm assuming its pre-molt. Some Ts do eat before molting i did some research.
Time will tell then. If it molts soon, great. If not, oh well.

And I showed Jon3800 he said its defiantly pre molt.
Oh wait, if he said it, it must be the gospel...

Being a youtube geek doesn't make someone an arachnology authority. But it sure does make the newbies think that guys like Jon and Rob are gods in this hobby.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
See i don't think that's true even if it were it wouldn't progressively get bigger and bigger over the course of a week. That was maybe a smudge barely visible a week ago exactly. So I'm assuming its pre-molt. Some Ts do eat before molting i did some research. And I showed Jon3800 he said its defiantly pre molt.
If you did the research and found an answer you are satisfied with, why would you waste our valuable time with yet another premolt question, especially if you were going to ignore mostly everything everyone had to say?

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see the coloration you are talking about. It is dark but that T is in late intermolt. It goes: Molt, post molt, intermolt, premolt...varying times for each T and age etc.

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
he's been in the hobby for over 15 years i think he knows a thing or two. Not saying I worship jon and rob but they defiantly know what they are talking about. Not exactly newbies.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he's been in the hobby for over 15 years i think he knows a thing or two. Not saying I worship jon and rob but they defiantly know what they are talking about. Not exactly newbies.
And people here have been in the hobby for longer.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I didn't say they were newbies at all...
15 years is cool and all, though its just a number. There are members here (Rick, Stan, etc.) with about a half-century of experience, that quite exceeds my quarter-century of experience. Regardless, its certainly not the most complex hobby out there.

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
All im saying is jon could probably spot a pre molt or somewhere close to that in his experience that's all im saying.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My coworker has had a single rosea for about 20 and rescued and adopted out avics, poteri's, pulchripes etc the last 15.. plus tried her hand in breeding for last couple years..doesnt mean her experience stands for much ;)... everyone has their oppinion.. some may be right.. maybe johns right who knows.. maybe telelatella is right.. heck maybe were all wrong and shes just a dirty dirty girl (couldnt resist).. does not mean you go grab the ruler and say others arent qualified because he has over a decade in experience . thats a notch in a belt buddy

(On a side note..
God id kill to see xhexdx or even one of the real pros in this guys threads haha)

cold blood

Staff member
Some Ts do eat before molting i did some research.
Very true, although most that do tend to be t's with higher metabolisms and significantly greater feeding responses (or are growing slings). I would consider it extremely rare for this species to eat during pre-molt. I've had mine for nearly 15 years and its never fed in pre-molt....its actually never fed the month before it molted... 3 months to a year of fasting prior to molting is actually not at all uncommon for this species....almost normal in fact.

Not saying its not pre-molt, just that I don't believe it to be....time will tell.