latrodectus hesperus sac help

guywithaspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Recently i caught a L. Hesperus from the side of my house, here in Sparks Nevada. She was fairly chubby, so i thought she might be gravid, but was hoping that was not the case. Well, today i woke up to a lovely sac that she had laid. I have no experience raising true spiders, so i have no idea what to do. Should i move the sac outside, or should i hatch it out and attempt to sell the slings? i just don't know if i would be able to sell the slings after birth. Also if i should hatch them out, how do i do it? I only have experience with scorpions, and i know about rising T's, but don't know where to begin with widow. Any help is greatly black widow.jpg appreciated.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Fortunately, widow spiderlings are pretty easy to feed.

Just know that when her sac pops, you're going to have hundreds of babies. If I were to sell them, i'd collect about 10-20 of the slings, then let the rest of them disperse outside.
I'd rather raise them to adulthood, or at least the penultimate instar before attempting to sell them. A large collection of beautiful mature females will be easier to sell :]

guywithaspider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats good advice, thank you. Should i let them pop in their mothers enclosure, or should i pull the sac at some point?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I raise mactans in 1 gallon jugs. I take the sacs and put them in a gallon jug and let them hatch on their own. I let them canabalize until they are big enough to separate and by then there are quite a few less and the ones I have left are the best of the best. It's always worked for me and it's easy.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
couple of things to keep in mind, when they do hatch out, they are very tiny and they go everywhere so keep the lid closed unless you have to open it. If you do have to open it, make sure to keep an eye on the opening. Most of the time the slings just hang out and they don't run for it but a few might try to get out. All you can do is try to herd them back in or just squish them. I almost never open mine and I've never had a problem. I don't keep water in with them and I don't offer food until they are starting to get some size on them. Then I just toss a cricket in and let them have at it. They will web a container completely so don't even worry about substrate or maintenance, you just can't do it. That said, widows are one of the most interesting species to me and they are my favorite trues. Good luck with them and enjoy.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Good information. I am wondering how long wild caught Latrodectus can produce fertile egg sacs? I have had mine since March and they continue to produce sacs. I pull them as I am not interested in raising the babies or sharing my home with them. They are not native to my area so releasing is not an option as well. But I believe pulling the sacs creates stress. So, hoping that after 6 months or so, they would not be fertile?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had females bred once lay viable sacs from shortly after final molt till death 2 years later. They were hatched in my care and died in my care so I would say they laid eggs roughly every two weeks for around a year and a half. They can love up to 5 years I think and the egg laying slows as they reach old age but still about every 2 or 3 weeks throughout their life. They don't seem to mind having a sac pulled either. Aside from rebuilding that section of the web it really doesn't affect them once it's gone

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lats are awesome and the spawn rate is so high that odd color patterns are almost a certainty. Add that to the fact that they will eat anything that sticks and you have the perfect pet

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Most mature female latrodectus you find in the wild will have been mated already. Careful with hesperus though.. if you mess with their sac, they can be pretty ornery.

Remove the sac, unless you want to deal with mommy on high alert as her babies disperse.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I am careful with any Latrodectus sp. My mactans is definitely the most aggressive though. Especially when removing her sac.