After a molt do you have to wait a week to feed?

airserver

Arachnopeon
I've read many different forums on here about feeding after molting, some say a week to three. She is a G. Rosea. Some say it depends on how big the T. is. She has a leg span about 4 inches. She hasn't ate in over a month she refused to eat. Is it okay to try to feed her something after four days? Thanks guys.

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
From what I understand, you have to wait until the fangs have hardened completely (when they turn black). Once that happens I feed my T one cricket, and remove it after 24 hours if it is still alive

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One trick I've heard but never tried is to use an eyedropper to put a drop of water in front of the T, if they pounce on it, they're ready.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It doesn't matter how long it didn't eat before, and a month is nothing to a tarantula. Some G. rosea have voluntarily refused to eat for a year or more.

Wait a couple of weeks to feed.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As Hobo said, you should hold off feeding for at least another week or two. You may have read some varying answers about the length of time you should wait to feed after a molt because the answer to that question can really depend on the size of the tarantula. Larger spiders take longer to recover and get back into feeding mode, as their larger fangs (the hardest part of the exoskeleton) take longer to fully harden. For tiny slings you can often be fine with three or four days, at four inches DLS it's more a matter of weeks than days if you want to be safe.